Happy (Photo) Friday, everyone! What's on your plan?

Greateight
on 7/8/22 6:34 am, edited 7/8/22 4:51 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Good morning, everybody!

Friday Night June 24th.

I told my son that I packed a sweatshirt "just in case." He looked at me, looked up at the sun and said "Dad, I don't think we are going to need sweatshirts. But did you pack the sunscreen?" I did and we headed out.

Friday afternoon traffic was brutal. We snaked through the backstreets of Irving Park, following a route devised by the GPS that I could not replicate if my life depended upon it. We later learned that the traffic was just matter of course Friday blues and not any sort of special rioting.

I told my son that as soon as we were within .8 miles of Wrigley that I would park at the first lot I saw and then we could walk to the stadium. Sure enough, right at the .8 miles marker I see a sign that says Parking $25 - Free Hugs. And thus the quandary: questionable 95 degree hygiene versus the opportunity to make a human connection? Lady vs. the Tiger? Better to have loved and lost? Isn't this exactly what I told you guys the poetry of Terrapin Station is all about?

Who am I kidding? I won't even smile in pictures, there is no way that I am going to purchase a hug with an unknown provenance. So I went to the next lot - $30 and no hugs. This lot was actually wonderful: squired away on a little side street, shortcut to the field, and I didn't have to leave my keys.

We made it in time for a hamburger before the game and took our seats. We were in the sweaty sun for the first part of the show which started about 6:45.

As I mentioned last week, they opened with Man Smart Woman Smarter. The choice was not coincidental with the events of the day. Eyes of the World, a dreamy California song came next. The Grateful Dead would usually follow with Estimated Prophet, another trippy California song. Jerry Garcia sang Eyes and Bob Weir sang Estimated Prophet. Since Bob sings both songs for Dead and Company, I think its too much singing for Bob to do in a row, so they played Estimated Prophet later in the night. Bertha, Robert Hunter's song about trying to out run death came next.

Following a cover of Junior Parker's Next Time You See Me (Eric Clapton covers this one also), my son turned to me and said "Dad is this Drums and Space already?" Close enough - it was Dark Star. Sigh. Potty Break. I got to the bathroom mirror and realized that I was really hot and sweaty. Fortunately the sun went down soon. Two fun covers followed: Traffic's Dear Mr. Fantasy and the Beatles Hey Jude.

The first set ended with Althea. Supposedly this is the song that John Mayer heard and decided that he didn't want to be a pop star anymore. Although I think life with Katy Perry may have contributed to that. Also, Bob Weir was John's guitar teacher from way back, so I don't know his the story is apocryphal or not.

During intermission, the sun went down, the breeze kicked up and everything cooled down. The second set opened with Throwing Stones, a John Barlow song based loosely on Ring Around the Rosy. Brown Eyed Women was my son's favorite song of the night. I, of course, thought of our beautiful brown eyed friend and all the puppies. This is where Estimated Prophet slotted in. My highlight of the night (and both shows) was a cover of Merle Haggard's death row ballad Sing me Back Home. This was followed by Truckin', which Jen hates. Then came Drums and Space. I went for popcorn.

My jazz game is week, so when they came out of Space with Miles Davis' All Blues I didn't recognize it. Cumberland Blues came next - I have seen that played a couple of times now.

Stella Blue followed. Willie Nelson has covered this and he has a pretty version that you can find on Youtube. They played Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away and towards the end of the song Bob walked over to one of the crew and pointed to his wrist. The roadie said something inaudible and Bob waved his hands signaling no. Wrigleyville has a strict curfew at 11:00, so at about 10:55 they ended Not Fade Away and went home. No time for an encore. Me and my son were able to zip home and be in bed by 12:15. Well I was in bed. I'm sure he was gaming into the small hours of the night.

I loved this show with all of the covers and obscure songs.

I had a super productive day yesterday. Got a lot of work done and packed and made a Walgreens run. Squat Clean thrusters at Crossfit gave me a good night's sleep. Today is mostly gym, and a haircut. I feel like I could braid my eyebrows at this point. We leave for Iceland Monday night, so I will be posting on Monday for sure.

I am having trouble uploading a photo, but I will try and upload our meager catch of salmon. If you look close, you can see the flies biting my and Marilyn's legs.

QOTD: I guess that I would rank my favorite mayonnaise's.

Breakfast: Egg sandwich

Lunch: Roast Beef

Dinner: Bratwurst

Have a great day, all!

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Emiepie
on 7/8/22 7:45 am
RNY on 08/11/14

That is all kinds of fabulous!!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

lmfontana4
on 7/8/22 8:04 am
RNY on 03/24/21

The catch was meager but good size. Did you eat any of it yet?

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Greateight
on 7/8/22 11:14 am
RNY on 08/29/18

We froze it. We still have some salmon left from Alaska last summer.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Amy Liz
on 7/8/22 8:33 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I believed the sunscreen was a win, but no mention of sweatshirts after it cooled down?

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 164 GW 155

Greateight
on 7/8/22 11:16 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Friday night in the cool breeze was perfect. Saturday night was a vape sauna.

Partlypollyanna
on 7/8/22 10:20 am
RNY on 02/14/18

The mayonnaise would be a good clue. I did not know there were salmon in Lake Michigan, I thought they were all PNW based.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Greateight
on 7/8/22 11:41 am
RNY on 08/29/18

They are not indigenous, but are self sustaining due to the numerous rivers and tributaries that flow into lake Michigan.

Mkess
on 7/8/22 6:40 am
VSG on 08/09/21

Good morning all and Happy Friday,

Congrats on the handstand. That's awesome.

Sorry I've been MIA most days over the last couple weeks. I've gotten out of my normal schedule and, when I have been thinking about posting, it's already late in the day.

I was out of town in Milwaukee this week. I made it to a Cubs v Brewers game and it was ADA accessible. It was so nice to be able to see live sports and attend an event. After the game, we bucked traffic and stopped for an oyster Happy Hour.

My Dad is still in rehab and I'll visit him this weekend. Today, I have a call with my siblings to discuss moving my Dad to a nursing facility.

QOTD - "I'll get right on it, Rose." If I'm not procrastinating, there's something definitely wrong.

HW: 371 SW(8/9/21): 324 CW: 217 2 lbs til goal of skin reduction surgery. I'm looking for a new surgeon.

"Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. ? Buddha

Greateight
on 7/8/22 6:51 am
RNY on 08/29/18

I like that ballpark. The oysters look great!