Iron supplement making me nauseous (at least that is what I think is causing it) any advice?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/17 4:21 pm

don't mix the 2. infusion or transfusion.

• people get blood transfusion
  • but they get iron infusions.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

FluffyChix
on 8/30/17 5:56 am

Derp! Sorry and thanks for the correx!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/17 4:19 pm

big big time: leg cramps/being light headed

did you know that one of the symptoms of low iron is RLS? when I go to bed and my legs and arms start aching almost every day -I knew my ferritin is below 50.

When last month I start having anxiety attacks, could not breathe, and I had to start taking lexapro- I knew my iron tanked.

when I can drink coffee- sit on a sofa and fall asleep - I know my iron is low...

when i have to double my cortisone...

and so on. ..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17566122

The role of iron in restless legs syndrome.

Allen RP1, Earley CJ.

Author information

Erratum in

• Mov Disord. 2008 Jun;23(8):1200-2.

Abstract

The impressive relief from restless legs syndrome (RLS) symptoms provided by levodopa treatment indicates RLS is caused by a dopaminergic abnormality. But similar and more lasting relief also occurs for iron treatment in some patients. Thus there are two major putative causes for RLS: CNS dopaminergic abnormality and CNS iron insufficiency. This article presents the data documenting that both peripheral and CNS iron insufficiency occur with RLS symptoms. Brain iron insufficiency is supported by independently replicated cerebrospinal fluid and brain imaging studies for patients without iron deficiency (ID) anemia. Autopsy studies and intravenous iron treatment further link brain iron insufficiency to RLS. The brain iron insufficiency in patients with RLS is now well established. In this article the data are reviewed that support the following postulates combining dopaminergic and iron causes of RLS: (1) All conditions that compromise iron availability will increase the risk of RLS leading to a higher than expected prevalence of RLS in these conditions. (2) Some patients with RLS have marginal CNS iron status that can become insufficient when deprived of normal access to adequate peripheral iron or may be insufficient even with normal access to adequate peripheral iron. (3) The change or reduced CNS iron status produces RLS symptoms largely through its effects on the dopaminergic system and the corollary to 3. (4) Dopaminergic system abnormalities producing RLS symptoms will be included in those produced by brain ID. Study of the iron model of RLS offers hope for developing new treatment approaches and perhaps methods to prevent or cure the disorder.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Emiepie
on 8/29/17 4:55 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I had no clue RLS was associated with low iron until I realized mine was low and researched a little. That is great information. There have been many many times I would complain to my hubby to rub my achy arms or legs-again chalked it up to just being tired.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

SkinnyScientist
on 8/30/17 4:16 am

Emmie- I take carbonyl iron from Vitamin lady. I take it with food. When I do it that way it doesn't hurt my tummy or give me gas (i.e. farts).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Emiepie
on 8/30/17 5:51 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Thanks, my hubby found some at Walgreens so I am trying that...hoping it helps.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

MarinaGirl
on 8/29/17 4:44 pm, edited 8/29/17 9:49 am

Another thing that can impact iron absorption is thyroid medication. If you take any then you'll need to delay iron supplementation for 4 hours.

FYI: I take heme iron and have not experienced any complications.

Emiepie
on 8/29/17 4:56 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

No thyroid meds for me, but hubby is out searching for new supplments and vit c right now!

karenp8
on 8/29/17 5:19 pm - Brighton, IL

Kind recently started to supplement because on my 5 year labs my ferritin had dropped to 27. I found vitron c at Walgreens. It is carbonyl iron and has some c with it but not enough so I added it and a vitamin c 500 MG as well. Vitron c has65 MG elemental iron as carbonyl iron and 125 MG of vitamin c. If mine were that low I'd find a hematologist right away. I think it was about 25 dollars for the two together.

Emiepie
on 8/29/17 6:23 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

That is the exact iron my hubby just bought me tonight and he got chewable Vit C. Thanks for the feedback!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 432 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 163 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?