Iron Infusion-Received approval from insurance

G2GAWAY
on 8/7/17 11:13 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I had posted about this topic recently and people replied and gave me good information. i have been my own advocate and after getting the last "baseline" labs that the hematologist sent me for (prior to adding additional oral iron), the numbers had continued to decline. I received the results while out of the country, and on my first day home I called the doctor and told her that I did not think I should wait until the next labs came back before proceeding. She immediately submitted the request to insurance last week Tuesday. The insurance has approved it; now I am waiting for the hospital to have a bed for me. I opted for the overnight stay to get it all done in one shot vs. multiple visits. They approved Iron Dextran. I know there are other options out there, but this was the doctor's recommendation and what insurance approved. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I need to know prior to the infusion? What can I expect? What should I be doing on my own to help with the process? I know they give me a small dose with an antihistamine to see if I have a reaction, then they administer the full dose. What else should I be asking the doctor? Many people recommended that they test my ferritin levels. Not sure why that wasn't done in the many tests up until recently, but I just had it done and my Ferritin is a 3. Not sure what it was before, but it is definitely in the tank now. My other levels are Hemoglobin 8 and Iron of 11. The hemoglobin and iron have gone down to these levels even since my test one month before.

How long after the infusion will I start to feel more energy? I have definitely hit the wall and am anxious to get the infusion. I am a high energy person, so this is really bothering me to not be able to do all the things I want to do. Thanks for any tips and advice.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

seattledeb
on 8/8/17 2:08 am

I've always had them in an outpatient setting. Usually an oncology clinic.

They seem like they are being cautious with your first dose which is common. I've been getting IV iron since 2001. I have never had a reaction other than a little heat when flushed off too quickly.

You are going to feel so much better soon.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/17 5:16 am

My best results were when I had 4 infusions spread over 1.5 months.

The body needs to be able to absorb and keep the iron - building the ferritin. Ferritin is proteins bound with iron. When I get iron - my gut gets messed up for a few days.

Here is my take on it :iron is circulating in the blood stream, some is bonded to the proteins, the rest gets filtered by the liver and dump with a bile into t the small intestine. It can theoretically get reabsorbed. Liver works very hard - so at least a week before the treatment I try not to eat or drink anything that is hard on liver. (Carbs, alcohol, Tylenol etc) I try to maximize my protein. Because I can feel the iron being dumped in my small intestine (cramps) - I try to eat easy to digest foods. Even more slider foods - I rather be little hungry than in pain- discomfort. I'll limit calcium and try to take more vit C.

My first iron series - I had them daily for 4 days. It helped my iron - ferritin - raised by 90 points. My second and third series - that was at least week between infusions - raised my ferritin by 200 for both.

After iron infusion - I had gut cramps and bone like pain - discomfort. Almost flu like symptoms- body aches. But a good night sleep really helped. The gut cramps lasted app 2-3 days, but not everyone gets that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/8/17 5:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My infusions are Dextran -- I also get one infusion and I also get a steroid and pepcid via the IV before -- to prevent any reactions. I do it outpatient in an oncology unit -- I cannot imagine needing an overnight stay, nor anyone going with me.

It takes me about 5 hours total -- there's a test dose first, a waiting period to assure no reactions -- then the infusion. I usually telecommute and work from my laptop that day.

There's nothing painful or terrible about it -- I do know that some people get benedryl instead of the steroid as the precautionary IV -- you will likely feel very drowsy if that's what you get.

It takes me several days to really feel the effects and have more energy -- but when it hits, it's amazing!! My only side effect is that I have a headache the day of -- and usually a day afterwards.

My ferritin was down to 4 on my last infusion. A week later it was in the 200's.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/17 8:50 am

every time I got both - steroids and benadryl. I was always joking that one is trying to put me to sleep while other is to wake me up so they can get rid of me...I get one after the other then iron...by the time iron is flowing - I am out cold...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

seattledeb
on 8/8/17 12:40 pm

I can get in and out In a hour. I don't need pre meds.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/8/17 1:46 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My hematologist has implied that after a few more infusions without reaction, I will likely be able to do the same. She uses an abundance of caution until she's absolutely sure.

Is it wrong that I sort of like that quiet time by myself (albeit in a room full of strangers) -- sitting in a comfortable recliner?

That may be a very sad commentary about my need for "alone" time...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

seattledeb
on 8/8/17 2:54 pm

You need to upgrade. I get my own little room. The chair has heat and massage. They bring in a warm blanket. They are IV pros so they usually get it in one. Cable and internet. I hate to leave.

It's been my drug of choice since 2001. Low iron ain't no way to live.

I wish more MD's knew the need and value of IV iron for some Rny patients. Usually we have to be our own advocator and educator. Knowing your numbers and trends usually falls to the patient.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/8/17 5:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations. I think you win the award for ****tiest iron scores ever. That I've ever seen, at least.

I know there are several types of infusions, but I can't recall which is which.

From what others have related they sometimes feel crappy for a couple of days after infusions, but then feel fantastic after that.

Keep us posted, please. And for anyone else reading this, always, always, always have your ferritin tested.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 8/8/17 2:56 pm

The foggy depression I've had...low iron sucks.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 405 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 382 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 379 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?