I really need to get this off my chest

pammieanne
on 1/25/17 9:07 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

And one of these days I hope to meet you too! (but if it's me coming North, it'll only be in July, when it's warm up there! Hahaha!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Teena D.
on 1/25/17 9:16 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Haha! Hubby has dreamt of a trip to Montana his whole life- he might go for Oklahoma - he's a big kid and pictures cowboys and trail rides and wide open spaces.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

CJ On Orcas
on 1/25/17 10:02 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Right ON! I had a sleazy guy accost me at my grocery store last month... "hey baby, I like the way you WALK!".  I was appalled.  I had my 8-yo with me and he started laughing.  I almost took his head off... so NOT funny.  It made me so uncomfortable.  Personally, I have never wanted that attention from men (anyone).  And with what is going on in our country right now, our rights matter more than ever.

As far as I am concerned, post AWAY girl.  I am listening ;)

VSGAnn2014
on 1/25/17 11:38 am, edited 1/25/17 3:39 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Apologies to all, since I'm a VSG patient, not an RNY patient.  But this topic caught my eye!  

To @pammieanne and everyone who posted -- great, great comments.  

Several years ago I was a big fat mess in more ways than the number on my scale.  Today I'm normal-sized, a lot healthier, a lot less stressed, and a lot better looking.  

Generally speaking, everything is easier.  But I do have to navigate some different social potholes.  Some men (not all) seem shyer about engaging with me than they might have done when I was overweight and therefore sexually safer.  Some women (not all) seem a bit more suspicious of me now because I'm one of those skinny *****es they have grudges against -- some of which are justified.  

At the very least, we're all getting a chance to walk in the other person's shoes.  It's not a simple calculus of good vs. bad, is it?  In my own case, delving deeper into my discomforts around being slimmer is time well spent -- with my therapist, my journal, and on WLS boards.  Exploring our discomforts may lead us to greater clarity about the roots of our obesity.  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

TXJess
on 1/25/17 3:23 pm
RNY on 12/27/16

I was thin until my 30s.  I distinctly remember the day when I realized guys weren't looking at me anymore.  I knew it was my recent weight gain.  I felt invisible.  It's not that I wanted the attention, but when you lose it, it hurts.

Likewise, I remember losing weight at one point and having a collegue stop me and tell me how great I looked NOW.  I was horribly insulted.  I do not have a thin skin.  It just really rankled me.  So I get the mixed emotions.

But you have to know that people treat fat people differently than thin people.  It's sad.  it's unfair.  It's judgmental, but they do.  I've actually been stuck in my career for the last six years because I was scared to go out and interview.  I'm looking forward to wearing a nice suit and getting the job I want.

Catek2652
on 1/26/17 3:20 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Being obese makes us invisible... literally the elephant in the room. Sad but true. I've been chubby, I've been obese and I've been thin and now I'm just right (or very close to it). My opinion and employability was valued quite a bit more when I was thin and lately (as a retiree) I've been approached by folks for leadership positions in the various organizations where I have been an invisible member for many years.

Annoying,? You betcha. Disgusting that we are that biased as a society? Yes. Am I going to take advantage of the new thinner me? Yes I am. If this is what it took for me to reach my goals, then so be it.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Readyjwc
on 1/29/17 9:25 am
VSG on 01/05/17

I have a 22 yr old daughter is adamant that people should like her the way she is regardless of her weight (260 lbs). I have a 21 yr old that is thin (125 lbs). Over the past few years, I've seen how they've been treated differently by co-workers, at interviews, etc. The truth is my 21 yr old is a junk food junkie but goes to the gym. My other daughter has a healthier diet but snacks constantly. I'd rather be healthy than thin. If I can be both - awesome applesauce! That is why I had the sleeve.

You have a right to be ticked but this world is cruel in so many ways. Shake it off. Go for the dream job and someday use your experience to help someone else.  Pay it forward!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 154 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views