I really need to get this off my chest

Sssmck
on 1/27/17 9:17 am
RNY on 01/23/17

I have experienced this too... I lost 80 pounds on my own with workout and diet in 2007-2008. I looked and felt amazing, and life was so very different. Society treats you differently. Funny thing was I lost my job as I was about to reach the low weight of that round. It's weird to go through that process and see how different others around you can be. Thankfully hubby didn't change... just the way I reacted and acted did. I was genuinely happier at my lower weight, which is what started me on this process after years of trying and failing to lose the weight on my own. Now, I'm in the medical field as well, but in a very female dominated portion of it... women can be horrible to other women... it'll be interesting for me to see how those who are horrible to me currently are in the future. I suspect at least one will not change LOL 

G2GAWAY
on 1/24/17 9:13 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I hear what you are saying and I get it. It is a fine line for people to walk and for us to experience. I honestly never felt I was treated differently as a fat person, but I am sure I was to some degree. The thing that I have noticed and pondered recently myself is that part of the reason we are treated differently now (as we have lost weight) is because we manifest differently than we did before as far as confidence and joy for life, etc. 

The other thing I noticed is that while we don't like to have attention paid to the change, it is also a little upsetting when people don't say anything.  Geez. I have lost 155 pounds, can't you tell? (I think to myself).  I have tried to put myself in their shoes and imagine what they are feeling. It is awkward for them too, but it is nice that these people wanted to tell you how great you look, because you do look great now.  And, while you were cute and charming before, you have changed and you probably sparkle just a bit more than you did before because you feel better and are happier with yourself.  

Hopefully, time helped you get through today's feelings and appreciate it for what it was. In the end, it is their problem, not yours. You are just fine and should be very happy and pleased with how things are going for you.  

Take care.

Cory

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

pammieanne
on 1/25/17 6:16 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Thanks, Cory 

I probably didn't convey the fact that I absolutely did know that their comments were coming from a good place, and that they meant nothing but good things. I just got shaken up this time, and it made me really look  at the whole picture. 

I hopefully do sparkle more, because I definitely feel more sparkly!!! 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

roxytrim
on 1/25/17 3:05 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Hey all you dudes out there! Chime in...I am courious if you feel any of the same vibes from the world once you shed your MO self?

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/25/17 7:32 am, edited 1/24/17 11:33 pm - Canada

My advice.....ENJOY IT!!!

You've worked hard for it.  Let's face it....... People are drawn to attractive people with positive energy......and if that's YOU?  Be happy.....TAKE IT ALL IN AND KEEP YOUR LIGHT SHINING BRIGHT FOR ALL TO SEE!!!!!!

There will come a time when you are done losing.....you start maintaining and people get used to the new you  and it becomes old news and the compliments become less frequent...and you will long for those days people reminding you of how cute you are!!!   Lol

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

pammieanne
on 1/25/17 9:04 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Thanks! I DO enjoy it, I promise 

Just yesterday was so overwhelming, and it brought with it so many other feelings I wasn't prepared for.

I'll remember these days when I'm needing  a compliment, and they are long gone!

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Mary Gee
on 1/25/17 7:53 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Getting all those compliments at the same time was probably unsettling.  Look at it this way... people noticed the change over a period of time and said nothing... One reason could be is that in the work environment, we are taught that certain comments could be taken as sexual harassment.  When I started losing weight, only a few certain co-workers complimented me... they were people I was very close with.  Others, including my supervisor and manager and other co-workers said nothing.  And I know it was because of the "harassment" issue.  Now it seems you co-workers were "given permission" to tell you how great you look.  So all at once you're being complimented by many people.  Could be overwhelming, but enjoy it!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

pammieanne
on 1/25/17 9:06 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

True, and I do remember wanting more people to say something...

And yes, you're right, they were all 'given permission' to let me know how great I look! LOL

Just got overwhelmed. I know it came from the heart... not the pants 

rachelp
on 1/25/17 8:34 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I'm sure you remember me saying that 10 years ago I lost 125lbs. If not, now ya do. Well, I learned all that back then so this last time when I gained it all back I already knew what to look for and it made it harder for me. When I went places I looked at peoples faces to see their reactions when I walked in a room. I already noticed when the guy in front of me didn't hold the door open. Nobody has patience for MO people and almost never give them special treatment. That comes from men and women. It was like I was living in a nightmare and it ate me up inside every single day. Now that I'm almost 85lbs down I am getting treated WAY better...again. Men at work say hi when they never really did before. That will never change. People see with their eyes. It's human nature to judge on visual impressions. Even I do it. If I see a cute dog I will pet it but if it looks scruffy with hairloss I won't.

It takes a while to get past this but you will notice it less.  

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Teena D.
on 1/25/17 8:40 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I can't add much because I'm not there yet. I've been obese most of my life and honestly have never felt that I was treated differently because of it but a part of me does wonder how things will change. It's not fair at all. 

On on the other hand, you've done great. Your personality totally shines through on these boards. I'd love to meet you one day!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 166 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?