3 year post RNY Surgiversay - where does the time go?

Daisydoo02
on 11/15/16 8:10 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hello OH land, my fellow RNYers!  Today is my 3 year surgiversay!  I remember the day of my surgery like it was yesterday! In the grand scheme of things I am still a newbie, only 3 years out but wanted to share a bit of my journey and share some pics!

November 15th, 2013 hubby and I arrived at the Hospital for 6am for an 8am surgery. Was I nervous, OMG yes. I signed all my papers, got into my gown, met the Surgeon, got the IV started, and had to walk down the freezing cold hallway to the Operating Room. Next thing I know I woke up in recovery and was being asked if I was ok or in pain.  And here I am today!  So I took 6 weeks off from work and I needed every single minute of it! I didn't recover well. I had lots of pain post op, I struggled to drink my ounces & shakes. I was exhausted. I developed quite possibly the world's worst case of Thrush in my mouth (my tongue was swollen and bleeding and covered in this white film and it was painful),  I also got an extremely bad Yeast infection that had me up pacing my hallways at night due to the pain.  I was a mess!  Mentally & emotionally I had the "what have I done to myself" moment.  I couldn't sleep, I was in pain, I couldn't drink, I couldn't eat, the exhaustion was something I have never experienced before and I was scared.  My Centre was not help in regards to post op care.  I called them they said call my Family Doctor, I called my Family Doctor and she said call your Centre, great just great!  By 3 months post op I felt like I was just fumbling around on my own trying to figure out this whole new way of life and then someone turned me on to Obesity Help.  In two words: LIFE SAVER!!!  Suddenly I was reading about people all over the world who were going through the same thing as me.  There were Vets (Veterans) who gladly took the time to share their knowledge & experiences for all us newbies and I read and read and read and learned and felt so supported!  Finally I felt like "ok Daisy, you can do this!"   

Here are some of my "rules" and what works for me at 3 years out:

1. I don't drink pop (soda) and I don't drink alcohol, for me personally I don't want to drink my calories when I can have solid protein
  2. I weigh myself daily so I know if I am in my "comfort zone" of 125-128 lbs, and if I go above 128 I know what I need to do to get back down
  3. I don't exercise to "lose weight or to eat back my calories" I exercise for my mental & emotional health. It has helped in toning certain body parts (arms, legs, stomach) but it's not for weight loss
  4. I use MFP daily (myFitnessPal) to track all the food that goes in my mouth, even when I "treat" myself, I log it. I mean why kid myself, if I ate it I log it, plain & simple
  5. I use a food scale & measuring cups daily, my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I can easily overeat if I don't weight & measure
  6. In the beginning I struggled with "figuring this all out", when to eat, the wait to drink when to take my vitamins then start the cycle all over again, it truly felt like a full time job, now its routine but it was hard at first
  7. I do eat protein forward. I plan my menu for the week when doing grocery shopping and then I make my lunch for work the night before. I don't drink with my meals and I always wait 30 minutes at minimum, sometimes 60 minutes after eating
  8. At 3 years post op I like my calories to be no more than 1000, but prefer to keep them in the 850-950 range, always a minimum of 90-100 grams of protein and my carbs under 40
  9. The first year post op I did not have a sweet tooth, and that was my problem pre surgery but now at 3 years post op the sweet tooth is back with a vengeance and I have to fight it daily
  10. Sure your Centre is going to tell you to eat "whole grains" go ahead and have whole wheat toast, brown rice, crackers, cereal, couscous, oatmeal & cream of wheat. Guess what, not the best idea post op. Those are just carbs that are going to fill you up, leave no room for protein and make the giant CARB MONSTER come back. Please avoid these foods until you have got to your goal weight. I am not saying never but why play with fire early out?
  11. "Head Hunger," 100% this is real! And it's hard!!! It's something I battle with daily.  Do I want toast & jam or an apple fritter or a fresh bagel with cream cheese YES but it's all about good choices, and life is about choices and I choose to eat protein forward
  12. Vitamins - yes I take my vitamins daily have since I was fresh post op. I just recently about 2 months ago switched to the PatchMD Vitamin patches, I wear a Multivitamin, Iron, B12, VitaminD/Calcium patches every day and I love the ease and conveniences of them. I will be getting 3 year blood work done next week so will know where my labs are at
  13. My Centre was great for pre op, they were amazing Surgeons but pretty ignorant on post op care. Lots of lovely people but they push carbs a lot. They base lab value ranges on a Non-WLS patients.  So I hope you all have great post op care at your Centre but for me personally I have learned what I know and what I practice daily from the Vets here not from anyone at my Centre.  It's a shame and I wish they had post op staff at my Centre that has the surgery so that they truly do know what they are talking about
  14. My mind still has not caught up with my body. I do see a fat girl in the mirror. I still get flashes of anxiety about sitting in a booth in a restaurant, or will I fit on the seat on the Subway. I still grab XL clothes when shopping. Will I ever see thin, I am not sure but as much as I work at the food part of this journey, I work on the mental aspect of this journey
  15. Be Kind to yourself , we are all walking in this same journey of obesity to trying to get our health back. Be kind to others struggling here on OH. Take the advice given to you as it's all meant to support and help you. Does the truth hurt, you're damn right it does, but no one understands the struggle you are going through better than the people here on OH. Come to OH often, it truly is a wonderful supportive place to be

Thank you to all the Vets on here, you continue to answer all the newbies questions with grace & respect (even though the same questions get asked over & over LOL LOL). I don't think I would be as successful as I am without you all and my hats off to you all for being so awesome, much respect!!

Best of luck to you all, I wish you all continued success! Just some random pics of me pre op and post op:

Daisy 

New Years Day - 2013

Me & my pups  - 2014

Me Christmas 2015

In Florida - 2016

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Dartmouth
on 11/15/16 8:32 am, edited 11/15/16 12:32 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I am about 6 months behind you and agree with everything you say....congratulations on persevering and keeping your weight steady!

I really do struggle everyday with the old demons...some days more than other days but your post gave me encouragement....I am not militant and am trying hard to have this be my new normal, but it is not easy.

I am still staying about 3 to 4 pounds of my low weight, and I am learning to loose any extra as soon as I gain it.....it helps to see how ither people have done it!

Thanks for the post!

joan

PS.....you look really great!

Daisydoo02
on 11/21/16 3:11 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Joan!  The demons are real and I fight them daily as well.  Best of luck, you are doing so well!!

NYMom222
on 11/15/16 8:33 am, edited 11/15/16 12:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Lovely post as lovely as you. You are an inspiration and have done an amazing job. 

Great tips!

And of course love the pups 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Daisydoo02
on 11/21/16 3:11 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Cynthia!

Patty R.
on 11/15/16 8:44 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Congratulations on your success and your support of us newbies!!      Thank you!!

Daisydoo02
on 11/21/16 3:12 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Pat, and I am always happy to help if I can! Hope you stick around with us on OH as well!

karenp8
on 11/15/16 8:54 am - Brighton, IL

Daisy,you are an inspiration each and every Day! Thanks for sharing your journey with us and being such an honest positive person. OH is such a great supportive place and I count you one of the reasons for that. Thanks for being my friend too. Keep on keeping on and making those good choices every day even when they're hard ones. And I am right there with you on the sweets,fighting the urge every day. I know we can both do it though,because this healthy life is SO much better it makes it all worthwhile. Congratulations my dear!

Daisydoo02
on 11/21/16 3:17 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Karen! Oh the sweets are something I fight daily, heck I fight it hourly!!! LOL    Healthy, happy, strong and living life to the fullest is what I see us both doing and I am loving sharing this journey with you as well.  Thank you my friend 

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/16 8:57 am
RNY on 09/22/16

Congratulations on your three year Anniversary! You look absolutely amazing! Thank yu for all the advice and help you have been on the boards. Us newbies appreciate it :)

Ceci 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 405 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 382 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 379 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views