Can I wear my own pajamas in the hospital??

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/16 4:27 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

i was wondering g if you can wear your own pajamas in the hospital after surgery? I would really like to wear some pajama pants or leggings, especially if I'm getting up and walking. Should I bring my own robe??

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 11/9/16 4:34 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Yes, You can wear pajama pants. I was allowed to wear mine the next day after surgery. Im not sure how well a robe will work with the IV's but you can always give it a try. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/9/16 4:45 pm, edited 11/9/16 8:46 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You can bring pajamas but they'll probably want you to wear the gown. You probably won't want to wear anything around your waist plus they might have something attached to you for drainage. The robe will be hard to wear with the IV you'll be attached to. If you had something that was more of a shawl or poncho, it'd be easier.

You're really not gonna want anything around your waist right after surgery, think loose clothing, not tight/snug leggings.

Remember you'll be wearing a gown & attached to IV's when the wheel you to your room, to get the gown off, you'll either have to unplug from the IV, or cut the gown off, at that point you probably won't care if you have on a gown, plus you'll have easy access to pee, rather than struggle to get pajamas off & on.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cc583
on 11/9/16 4:59 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

My dr. and hospital said it was fine but the pj's needed to be baggy and stretchy. The dr. will also come in an visit at some point and want to see the incisions. As long as they can see them you should be good.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

White Dove
on 11/9/16 5:23 pm - Warren, OH

I was given pajama bottoms by the hospital.  Just ask. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/16 7:11 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I brought some baggy stuff. That first day I barely wanted to move. Never wore anything but the gown and was very comfortable. 

ttfan
on 11/10/16 2:44 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I brought my robe and put my arm in one side and just threw the other sleeve over my shoulder, it worked out fine.  I wouldn't want anything around my belly the first few days!

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

selhard
on 11/10/16 4:16 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Your question reminds me of my mother.  With each of my two pregnancies, Mom would present me a gift of a new nightgown, robe, undergarments and slippers to save for the birthing hospital stay. She said the nurses would appreciate it and would help make me feel better.  It did.  I packed a brand new wrap-around-robe for the WLS hospital stay, brought along makeup, and DD surprised me with a hair style session on check-out day.  Yes on all counts.

Catek2652
on 11/10/16 4:19 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I had my own robe which I wore with one sleeve on and one sleeve (the one with the IV) off, just draped over my shoulder. No PJs but did wear two gowns. One on front ways and one on backwards. I did bring my own slippers but they had to have non-slip grippers.

Now, I had complications and many "accidents" over my time in the hospital, so I was very glad I did not have my own stuff as my husband would have had to carry them back and forth daily for laundry. As it was, I also "lost" underwear (four pair) and socks (two pair) that got scooped up with the hospital bed sheets that got soiled from my accidents. It was a bad time for me and the poor nurses who worked with me for those 24 days.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

ShadeMcG
on 11/10/16 6:30 am
RNY on 11/04/12

depends on the hospital...some let you some dont but they all allow you to bring a robe...

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Height:  5'11", Highest Weight:  281  Surgery Weight:  266 Goal Weight:  165  Current Weight:  170

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 310 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 322 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 277 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 265 views
Ajjj! It?s Monday!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 83 views
Tuesday Blues