Some food questions

CathyV
on 9/8/16 7:49 pm

I'm thinking and planning in my head...id really like, most days, to figure out how to cook for my family and myself at the same time....pull out some meat and whatever. So, I'm wondering...sauces/glazes/etc...most of those have some sort of sugar/honey in them. Is that enough to make you dump? I know that dumping is an individual thing, but I just thought I'd see what others have experienced.

Also, Greek yogurt...are any of the flavored ones ok for you? The only kind I have tried is the triple zero but my usual store only has like three flavors of those.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

CurlyCass1977
on 9/8/16 9:22 pm
RNY on 12/04/15 with

Most of my sauces and such I make myself so I leave out the sugar. I like to use the seasonings from Wildtree most of them don't have added sugar and chemicals. My surgeon only recommends the Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt so that's what I stick too if I have yogurt. 

I cook pretty much the same for my entire family of 7. I only make rice or pasta once a month, if that, as a special treat for my kiddos. Our dinners consist of meat and veggies. And all of my kids have slimmed down and my teens have a ton less acne. 

RNY 12-4-15 

HW 316

Consult Weight 308 8/15/15

Surgery Weight 289 12/4/15

Current Weight 220 9/10/16

G2GAWAY
on 9/8/16 10:21 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

My doctor told me that the key was to get greek yogurt with low sugar.  Some of my favorites pre-surgery had 20+ grams of sugar.  Triple Oikos has 6 or 7 (if I recall correctly), so that is a good choice. I'm sure there are others with low sugar as well.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Grim_Traveller
on 9/9/16 3:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Some dump on sauces, some don't. The same goes for pretty much anything.

The problem with any sauces, topping, dressings is the calories. They really start to add up. And portions of toppings creeps up over time. What is supposed to be one tablespoon ends up being four. You'd really be doing yourself a big favor by avoiding them altogether.

As a general rule, if you are asking if something will make you dump, it's something you shouldn't be eating at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Catek2652
on 9/9/16 3:29 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I'm allergic to soy, and have been for years. I make all my own sauces and such and just leave out the sugars or use something like the Stevia or Splenda for cooking (comes in a big bag). Since I also grow most of my own veggies, I've also learned to preserve food without sugars, etc. Since it is just my dh and I at home now, I've also adjusted my prepackaged portion sizes. For example, instead of canning tomato sauce in quart jars, I put it up in pints now. Instead of bagging up two cup servings of veggies for the freezer, I put it in one cup portions. I did invest in a Food Saver (vacuum food packer). I already had a pressure canner, but traded with a friend pint jars for quarts. It's really easy to make ketchup starting with tomato paste, and flavor it to suit you. Mustard is another easy-peasy thing to make as is steak sauce. Gravy may require some experimentation because we also want to watch the fat. Personally, I willing to have a decent gravy using a yummy fat (like butter) once a week or so, and really watch carefully the rest of the week. My hubby jokes that he knows when it's Friday because he gets gravy on Fridays.

As for yogurt, use the plain yogurt and get yourself some sugar free torani syrups for flavoring. Even my hubby likes yogurt this way. You can also make your own yogurt if you can get some decent milk (not ultra pasturized). To make it "greek" yogurt, you just have to drain it a little after you make it.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

supershopper
on 9/9/16 4:57 am

Not sure where you are located, but if you have a kroger/related chain- they have a yogurt called carb master which is only 60 calories.

really check the labels on yogurts. 90% have TONS of sugar. If i can't get my carbmaster I will do oikos triple zero or light and fit. But that is last resort because they seem to have high sugar to me and I just stay away.

I buy turkey gravy in a glass jar at the grocery. very low in calories.

I make the meals in my house. Meat/veggie/ and some kind of starch for DH. So I just don't eat the starch and eat the veggies and meat.

if i make lasagna, i will either make him a separate dish with the noodles and one for myself with veggies. I don't buy the store sauce- it is packed with sugar.

Most powder seasonings don't have very many calories but check the labels. I have a pretty extensive spice collection and use it all the time.

any leftovers I put into the fridge, take it out, weight it and eat it. or make the muffin eggface dishes or the ones from pintrest. Then you have your portion control.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Daisydoo02
on 9/9/16 5:35 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I don't dump Cathy, not everyone does.  

I eat sauces/mayo/ketchup/bbq sauce and have from the get go when I was cleared for full foods, I personally can't live without them.  I obviously read labels and made sure sugar grams were in the allotted numbers my Centre recommended. I know that there are a lot of No Sugar Added sauces you can get if you want to search it out.  Gravy tends to have less sugar than say a BBQ sauce.  Read your labels or like the other poster suggested, make your own with sugar substitute.  To this day I don't use Honey or Maple Syrup (which I miss them both) so you just have to be smart about what you are cooking with.  Crock pot is perfect for a big family and most meats will create their own juices/gravy.

As for Greek Yogurt, you will see two of the more popular brands that a lot of our menu posters buy are Danone Light & Fit and CarbMaster. You are the only one that can know who you will do on a different brand of yogurt.   Good luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Deanna798
on 9/9/16 5:46 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I cook for my family.  Usually, with something like a sauce, I'll leave it on the side.  Like if I'm doing bbq chicken, I'll either sauce all but mine, and then add my sauce separately so I can actually measure it.  Something like spaghetti sauce, I make my own, so I build the recipe in myfitnesspal and measure out my portions.

another good yogurt is Dannon Light and Fit Greek.  It's 80 calories and has low sugar, high protein, and there are a ton of flavors.  Supershopper mentioned CarbMaster at Kroger, which is okay, but it has a flavor to me of the added whey protein. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Daffodilgirl
on 9/10/16 10:01 am

I have a family of five and we have inherited two kids that won't leave lol. I use my crockpot just about every night. I Pinterest just about all of my meals. In the search bar I type in either Low Carb recipes or Keto friendly recipes. Then I go thru the ones that I can eat.  Usually meats make their own juices in the crockpot. I still use ketchup, bbq sauce, A.1, and Worchestire sauce. I just use small amounts.  

I don't eat yogurt still. I can't stand the smell since I've had surgery. 

As time goes on a little you will find what works for your body and your family and it does get easier. But we all eat the same foods. They are having a lifestyle change without surgery. Hope this helps some. 

Surgery date March 4, 2016

S.W 309.8

C.W. 143.2

"Oh give thanks to the Lord for he is good!"

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 275 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?