Hair loss & Nioxin

Deanna798
on 9/2/16 12:07 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

this is why I don't take biotin.  My obesity, I believe, has wreaked havoc on me and as I've gotten older I've become a hairy beast, lol.  No way I want to boost that, even if it does help with the hair on my head.  I'd rather shave my head than have to deal with a hairy back and a beard. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mute
on 9/2/16 12:46 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I use biotin because it also helps with healthy nails but I don't think really anything helps all that much except time. I think Nioxxin is way expensive for not being all that beneficial for us. At least the biotin I could see a marked improvement in my nail strength and growth.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

White Dove
on 9/2/16 2:52 pm - Warren, OH

Nioxin is the second best system out there.  If you go with Nioxin, insist on System 4.

I have had much better results with Wen Tea Tree Cleansing Conditioner.  I use their tea tree styling cream and volumizing spray as well as the hydrating mask.  Their products leave my scalp very healthy and a healthy scalp is what you need to support healthy hair.

I have worked in and managed hair salons since 1967.  There is no product I have not tried. 

Men can usually get away with low cost shampoo or using a bar of body soap on their hair.  That is because they do not use hair spray, gel,  mousee, blow dry, color, highlight, curl or straighten their hair. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

conazza
on 9/2/16 4:13 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Do you use the cleansing conditioner as a shampoo? My hair is bad pre-surgery so I can use all the help I can get for after. 

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

White Dove
on 9/2/16 4:33 pm - Warren, OH

The cleansing conditioner is a shampoo, but made without the harsh ingredients in most shampoos.  My hair and scalp is very clean and clear with WEN.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/2/16 11:43 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

WEN has menthol in it which I do not understand - it smells like Absorbine Jr. and makes my skin red.  The only ones that do not are the children's. 

Sharon

Karen9849
on 9/3/16 10:06 am

I had abdominal surgery about 5 yrs ago, and lost a ton of my hair. I was very thin at the crown and my whole right side was balding. My Doctor suggested Biotin 5,000 mg day and I have been taking it ever since. I do not have excess facial or arm hair. I do have beautiful nails and eyelashes though. I will say every time I try to stop taking it my hair does start to thin again. I think it's genetics. My Doctor said it's a vitamin and there is no harm in continuing to take it, so I will. I do find it helps quite a bit. My mother is very thin so i'm afraid after my surgery this time, it may not come back. I have considered a crown wig, they have come a long way and look natural. Time will tell.

PulchritudinousGirl
on 9/3/16 10:46 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I have been taking Biotin twice a day since surgery almost 6 months ago.  I have been losing less hair than I did before surgery and my eyelashes look better than ever.  I have no excess hair growing in places it shouldn't. Every person is different so it doesn't hurt to try.  Here is a link to what I use.  They taste great too!

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Melts-Melting-Tablets-Strawberry/d p/B00NV5UTYI/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472924622&sr=8-1&k eywords=biotin+ez+melts

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

Unlimited
on 9/4/16 3:43 pm - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

I had this same issue with thinning hair on my already thinned hair!!  More so with the crown issue but overall - I knew I needed to do something.

Yes, I have been taking Biotin - but now I'm wearing a hair piece and it had worked extremely well for me. Many think I just got my hair colored darken with newer highlites! Saw my sister in law last night - and both my brother and her thought my hair grew back since mid-June. So actually, goes to show even though I know I have thin hair prior to this surgery (due to hypothyroid) ppl didn't really notice just how much thinning I had!  People I work with closely know its a hair piece once I told them - my boss said if she didn't know me for this past year - she won't have never guessed its a wigs - looks soooo natural and real. Its been great with this weight loss and new wig!! 

Here is the LINK  -- take a look.  Can even get Longer hair pieces as well  etc.  Last week, I had my hair dresser colored my own hair to make it look richer yet to match even closer to the hair piece... that basically was already "spot-on" for matching =)  Who knows - I just might do this long term...  I bought the ICED Mocha color -- maybe next spring I will buy this same hair piece but in the Sugar Maple color!!

http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/medium-top-w-roots/   

Karen9849
on 9/4/16 4:39 pm

Great, thank you I will definitely check it out.

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views