What's On Your Monday Menu, RNYers?

Daisydoo02
on 8/8/16 7:26 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Morning gang!  Monday we meet again... Had a low key weekend, had a headache most of the weekend and just feel blah, but onward!

AWESOME on the honey AV, and I can't WAIT for my honey!! Hubby eats honey a lot, and I LOVE honey, I can have a little as a treat now post surgery.  Pre surgery I would eat 3-4 slices of thick toast with peanut butter and a thick gooey layer of honey, Yummmm! I also just love the idea of you keeping bee's alive and giving them a safe place to do what they do best, make honey!

QOTD: Hands down my fav is "classes".  We live around the corner from this really amazing rec center.  Its pretty new, built in the last 8-9 years (and very modern) and has it all. Two ice rinks for hockey and figure skating, a massive indoor pool, a huge gym with every machine and free weight out there, a running track and a "studio" for Step, Zumba, Yoga type classes.  Wonderful washroom/shower facilities. Outdoor has 6 tennis courts, a skate board park, and spalsh pad for the kids. There is multiple party rooms and a great concession stand that makes the most amazing smelling popcorn, like the kind you get at the movies. I have to pass by it to get to the locker room and man it always smells sooooo good. So I do a lot of classes.  Step class is my fav.  And then classes like "Muscle pump, Zumba, Butts & Guts". And since my WLS I am now a 'runner'.  I love it.  I prefer treadmill running (don't hate me) as it helps control my pace, I struggle with pace. And I must have tunes while I run, I loose myself in the songs and just let my mind go blank and enjoy the music.  Before you know it 5km is gone.    So its a tie between step class & running.

Congrats on your 2 yr "Phenomenal" check in!  That is so awesome to hear and I love reading stuff like that, it really helps the newbies on here love to see us all successful so that they can see it can be done!!

Time since surgery: 2 yrs + 9 months

B: coffee with miralax - then can of tuna over some salad greens with balsamic dressing

L: 3 oz of grilled chicken over some salad greens and balsamic dressing

S: 2 "Vermont Cracker pepper" beef & pork mini sticks

D: grilled turkey burger with cranberry goat cheese on top

S: 4 shrimp with ****tail sauce and 7-8 pieces of Mr Cheese Os Cheddar

TOTALS: 868 calories, 122 protein, 14 carbs, 36 fat

Vits done, calcium on alarms, keeping an eye on my liquids as I need to up it, feeling like I not doing well in this area

E: plan is to go to the gym tonight after work, if I do it will be a step class or 5-6km on the treadmill.  Will walk the dogs later in the evening when its not so hot out.  Have a great day my friends!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Queen JB
on 8/8/16 8:08 am
RNY on 07/20/15

#NOTtwinsie. I hate, Hate, HATE exercise classes! I just feel soooooo uncoordinated and self-conscious. But that rec center sounds awesome!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

AnnyBananny
on 8/8/16 8:18 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I'm with you, Daisy, I love taking classes. Being with other people keeps me motivated and moving - like I don't want to punk out in the middle and sometimes I literally CAN'T because I wouldn't be able to get out of the room LOL.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/16 8:06 am

Walking is my exercise. I love it. I put my music on and it takes me away. I don't run. I did try it. I don't like it. Making me time is not always easy. Walking is my outlet were I can let things go. 

B:Eggs with sausage and half a banana

L:Coffee just not hungry plus breakfast was very late.

D:Grilled chicken and zuchinni

S:Yogurt with some blueberries

stacyrg
on 8/8/16 9:49 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Good morning all.  I had a pretty quiet weekend.  Saturday morning I ran/lifted weights and spent the rest of the day running errands and cleaning from our house guests.  Yesterday I spent attached to my phone.  My brother was running his first Ironman.  I spent the day refreshing the tracker to watch his progress.  My brother is a beast (he finished 112th out of almost 1500 participants) and my greatest inspiration and support.  He's missed only one of my races and will help with training, etc.  I was sad to not be there to watch him cross the finish line.  So, you guys, I'm starting to question what my Dr. did to me (not really, but . . . ) It seems like I have no trouble getting food in, and I've been hungry since surgery.  After my sleeve, I really never got hungry.  I could go for hours and at some point it would occur to me that I should eat.  Now, I get legitimately hungry . . . like drop in blood sugar, I need to eat something NOW hungry.  It happened twice this weekend when I was out running errands.  I have a Dr. appt on Thursday so I'll definitely be asking him about it.

KGOTD - I really like all exercise.  I run, take a cardio kick boxing class, a circuit class that combines weights and cardio, spinning . . . I'll pretty much do anything.  It's quite a change for me.  Funny, like Kelly, I don't see myself as a runner or even very athletic.  After my revision surgery, one of the nurses asked if I considered myself an athlete.  When I said "no, not really" she asked if I was sure, and if I did a lot of cardio.  Apparently my heartrate was so low that she was concerned about it.  I guess I've become an athlete.

My menu is kind of up in the air.  I'm good through lunch, but then it falls apart.  I'm going to the Dodger game tonight and I'm not sure what I can eat.  I've been cleared for everything, so maybe a Dodger dog, no bun.

B: Protein shake, skinny vanilla latte

L: Rib eye (2.87 oz)

D: ??  Dodger dog??

S: sliced turkey and either a cheddar cheese stick or a babybel

Totals (with the Dodger dog) Cal: 686; Protein: 79g; Fat: 29g; Carbs: 26g

Emiepie
on 8/8/16 10:13 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Your bro did awesome! Hopefully your doc can give you an idea how to help with the low blood sugar issue as that can be scary.  Have so much fun at the game tonight.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/9/16 5:20 am

Hunger :

• you are still healing and you are already low weight - your body is trying to tell you to eat more.
  • You now malabsorb fat - you need more fat at least for a while 
  • And last but not least - you may become sensitive to milk sugars - skinny latte - that's how I discovered RH.. Too much milk sugar... 
  • Also - a shake could be ok with VSG - RNY - it just passed through...you need more food...real food...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 8/9/16 9:42 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Thank you so much for your reply.  Once again, I think you are exactly right.  I have a hard time remembering that RNY will not react the same way as my VSG, and what worked for me before, may not necessarily work now.  I'm going to try and up my calories/fat grams and see if that's better.  Also, going to ditch the shakes and see if I can get all my protein in with real food.  IT's such a crazy mind game . . . Intellectually I know I can't survive on 600-800 calories, particularly since I'm basically at goal and taking into account my activity level, but it is soooo hard to let myself go there and increase my food consumption.  I will always be a work in progress.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/9/16 10:35 am

Believe me when I tell you I know how it is.!!! I lost my regain and i am trying to stop losing...it is very hard to eat enough good foods...

BTW:you will not heal properly if you don't increase calories -proteins and fats. Skip the carbs... 

best fat that works for me is:

• fish (hopefully wild caught)
  • avocado (I make avocado chocolate pudding, make it into a thick shake, eat as a snack, etc)
  • Olives - not eating a lot early on - we don't eat enough salt - so salty =good. (salt= hydration)
  • nut butters (but you are not cleared for nut just yet - right?)
  • berries with a lot of whipped cream... (if you can find the low sugar type - berries have enough sugar)
  • saute things in coconut oil

most other fats - especially early on - would give me nausea...i.e. bacon, mayo, other oils...(i.e. things made with canola oil) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 8/9/16 10:53 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Great suggestions.  Yes, I'm cleared for all foods as of last Saturday. And honestly, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong (I don't think so since I weigh/measure everything) I've healed remarkably well and while I'm not back to my VSG capacity, I can get 3 oz in so it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be to get real food in.  I've been adding a spoonful of nut butter to my greek yogurt, but I love the avocado and berries suggestion. I've been eating a pickle a day since I was able to add them in because I'm CRAVING salt, so the olives are a good suggestion.  Thanks again!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 372 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics