This Stinks! UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Daisydoo02
on 8/3/16 7:44 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Tears are good, get it out (I am a crier so I get you, totally get you!!) LOL

Don't hesitate for one second to ask me questions, use the PM (personal message box up in the left hand corner if you want to chat offline).

What you are feeling is normal, you are normal. It will work. And it will work because you want it to work. You would not have come here and posted on OH for help if you didn't want this.  So get yourself (or get a family member or good friend) to get you some Sugar Free Popsicles and will be nice too as its hot out in most parts of the country and read as much as you can on here. You can use the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the page to "search" for any topic.  And remember you can do this and it will come.  

I forgot to add that you can get those plastic popsicle molds from the Dollar store, pour a ready to drink shake, like Chocolate Premier Protein shake in the molds, freeze and viola a protein "fudgesicle" for lack of another word LOL

You just need to get over the nausea feeling and once you do and you can get your liquids up you will start feeling like a brand new person.

You are very welcome, you can do this.  Please keep me/us posted on what your centre says and how you are doing over the next few days.

Daisy  

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

G2GAWAY
on 8/4/16 11:02 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Daisy is right on target. I struggled with liquids at first and I tried all sorts of things.  Crystal light, 5 calorie cranberry juice, hot tea, cold tea, carnation instant breakfast, warm water, cool water, cold water, among other things (all approved by the doctor). I also used those little plastic cups and struggled to drink each one of them, but I forced it because I had heard and read that dehydration is one of the leading causes of going back to the hospital.  Vitamins were tough, but they are the least of your worries right now. Like she said, do what you can. 

I was exhausted for the first 6 weeks. My doctor gave me some little one ounce containers for food and I couldn't even eat half of one at a time. You learn to eat cold food because nothing stays warm or hot by the time you can eat it. Just eat a little at a time. Be patient with yourself. Things get sooooooo much better. I am almost 1 year 3 months out now and wouldn't change it for the world. I never really got depressed after having the surgery. I knew it was just something I had to endure until things changed. It is a means to an end. Focus on the long term result, which is improved health.

You will get through this. Be patient with yourself, you just had major surgery and are going through a lot of physical and emotional change.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Jami1371
on 8/6/16 8:42 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage me. It does help to know that others went through the same things that I am going through and they overcame. 

Jami

Caroljo4444
on 8/5/16 10:08 am

Daisy, Awesome reply to Jami!  You helped me too and I'm pre-surgery!!! 

Carol

Banded 12/2006 - Revision to RNY 9/26/2016

HW 262 - SW 235 - CW 134

NANNY13
on 8/3/16 7:44 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

WOO HOO!

Great job on that 27 weight loss in less than a month! That is exciting!

As far as liquids go it is not optional. Focus on anything wet like sf popsicles and sf jello. broth, ect. It all counts! Find out if your pouch likes cold, warm or room temperature liquids. I used to drink all cold prior to and stick mostly with room temp. now. Try all different shakes and find one you do like and experiment. I love orange so a little bit of orange crystal light into a vanilla shake and Ta -Da! A creamsicle! Sprinkle that protein on your favorite SF pudding or yogurt and there you go! It is over with! Use the SF chocolate or whatever you need to do to make it happen. It has to happen or Grim is totally right! This is probably where the excessive tiredness is from. Although you just had MAJOR surgery so I think you are doing AMAZING getting to work already.

You are doing great and smart, too! You knew enough to reach out here for help. Make sure the Dr. office knows you are struggling and need help. We all need support and encouragement from time to time and this is a great place to get answers, support and to make new friends. There is so many people who have tons of experience and answers and have been just where you are and have gone on to become great success stories. I have no doubt you will be one of them!

Jami1371
on 8/6/16 8:39 am

Your encouragement really is helpful. Thank you for all of  your suggestions. Now I need to kick myself in the hind end and listen to all of you. Thank you so much.

Jami

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/4/16 4:17 am

It is very important that you go see your surgeon or physician to seek professional advice.  It is important to do things properly.  Good Luck!

supershopper
on 8/4/16 6:00 am

Early off you will feel like crap- but the number 1 re admittance is because of dehydration. You have to be constantly be drinking - like it is your first job.

A few things to consider:

Bone broth- you can get this at higher end grocery stores or make it yourself. You can add protein powder to this also.

Adkins lift protein drinks- they taste good and you get protein

ISOPURE from GNC- fruity drinks

sugar free popcicles- I bought the regular national brand

water flavored with sugar free stuff

hot tea

decaf coffee

Also- are you on a PPI (acid reducer)?

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Jami1371
on 8/6/16 8:35 am

I am on an acid reducer but I am not religious about taking it. This week I vomited twice and I wonder if it's because those days I forgot to take it. 

Jami

Emiepie
on 8/4/16 7:28 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I am so sorry you are having a rough time. As others have mentioned it is so important to do what you can to stay hydrated. Have you tried different temps? Some need it ice cold, some room temp, and maybe even a decaf warm tea? I would def. place a call to your medical team to let them know your struggling. Hope you feel better soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 315 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 407 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 212 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?