This Stinks! UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Jami1371
on 8/3/16 4:48 pm, edited 8/6/16 9:03 pm

I had RNY on July 7th and I just want to say that life really stinks right now. I am not getting enough fluids in, I can tell I'm getting dehydrated but I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to eat because it's not that I feel nauseous, my pouch just doesn't feel like food would settle very good. I haven't been taking my medicine/vitamins on a regular basis because without food in my stomach, I get sick off of them. I don't drink my protein shakes because again, my stomach can't handle the thought. I started back to work this week, which I thought 3 1/2 weeks would be long enough but I have no energy and I'm out of breath just walking the littlest amount of steps. 

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm having a pity party, I just wish I never even did this to myself.  Time to crawl in my hole.

(Thank you for listening)

Update:  Today my husband drove me to the ER. They are admitting me for severe dehydration and a possibility of having an ulcer. They will run more tests tomorrow. 

Jami 

Grim_Traveller
on 8/3/16 5:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Take a deep breath. Start with the fluids. You will NEVER feel well or have energy if you don't drink enough.

If you end up in the ER, they'll give you an IV and put it in one drop at a time. Drink it one drop at a time instead. You can do that much, for starters. Have a drink in your hand every waking moment.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jami1371
on 8/3/16 7:22 pm

I will try to focus just on the fluids for now and see how it goes.  Thank you!

Jami 

selhard
on 8/3/16 5:47 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

How often have you contacted your medical team regarding what sounds like tough-going?  What have they offered for help besides what I would guess another follow-up appointment?  Please phone them tomorrow to voice your regrets and need for stronger support (where I had WLS, a lot of focus was on post-op guidance with loads of information to assure success). Finally, remember things like sugar free popsicles and jello count toward liquid requirements; fluids should be your top priority right now. 

Jami1371
on 8/3/16 7:24 pm

Thank you!  I will just try to focus on the fluids for now.  I will also contact my surgeon's office tomorrow morning and see what help they can offer me.  

I appreciate your help.

Jami

cheapskate
on 8/3/16 5:54 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

focus on liquids first. When I am. Dehydrated I just feel icky and can't even think of eating. Sugar free Popsicles were great. I am addicted to chic fil a diet lemonade, but I don't tolerate ice so it's no ice for. Me. 

Is there a reason you aren't drinking?  If not, you just have to do it. If there is call your doctor before the ER calls him for you. 

chassibi
on 8/3/16 6:46 pm

Use a spoon and have a tsp of fluid every 5 minutes to start. You can work your way up to drinking and won't get dehydrated that way. What about soups? So warm fluids sound better? You must drink. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Ereiam
on 8/3/16 7:08 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Hi Jami,

Just echoing what others have said about drinking. Not wanting to drink and dehydration are a vicious cycle. The more you don't drink the more you get dehydrated and the more dehydrated you get the less your pouch wants fluid. I had to force myself to sip and eventually felt so much better. You'll get there!

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Daisydoo02
on 8/3/16 7:11 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Jami, take a deep breath.  In a few months when all this is behind you you will be posting here how amazing life is since you had surgery and wish you had of done surgery sooner.  Trust me!!!  I will share with you my thoughts...

Fresh post op is hard. No doubt about it.  Some people sail through it. I was NOT one of those.  I took 6 weeks off work and so glad I did, I struggled a lot new post op. Drinking, eating, vitamins OMG it was so hard!!!! Do call your WLS centre and tell them you are struggling. You do need to drink more as I am pretty sure that is contributing to your nausea because you are dehydrated. Most of the vets (veterans) here will tell you that fresh post op focus on the liquids, food will come later.  Vets will tell you that you have lots of fat stores and can go without food but you need to drink.  Here is what I did fresh post op to get my liquids in.

I got the plastic dosage cups from the hospital, the RN game a bunch to me the day I left.  On my plan we were allowed apple juice.  I would take four of those dosage cups and fill them all up with half apple juice, half water and sip on those until I finished.  Usually then it was time to fill them up again.  I have seen those plastic cups at the Dollar Store, people buy them to make jello shooters.  

SF (sugar free) Jello, SF Popsicles, beef or chicken broth, watered down apple juice, decaf tea & coffee (my Centre allowed decaf tea & decaf coffee (check what your centre says).  Water based protein shakes. I got a lot of one serving protein shake "samples" from Nausha Nutrition to try and used the ones I liked best. RTD (ready to drink) protein shakes such as Premier Protein, and GNC shakes. Water with flavorings such as Crystal light, MIO etc. For me fresh post op I had to have room temp water, cold water hurt.  For real, plug your nose when you take a drink, if you can't smell you can't taste, it truly works.  Unjury makes a protein "chicken soup" I have not tired it but I have read lots of people have and they love it.  When you are cleared for pureed/soft foods, do check out the website "World According to Eggface" she has a ton of stuff for new post ops.  

I too fresh out of surgery struggled with getting my vitamins & medications in.  I called my centre because I was not able to take my vitamins.  They said only do what you can and if you can't don't force it, it will come with time.

I was physically, mentally and emotionally spent right after surgery.  This is NORMAL for a lot of us.  Honestly it was 3-4 months post op that I finally got the "hang of things" and worked out an eating, drinking and vitamin routine. I thought like you it would never get better. It does, trust me, it does.

I am 2 years & just shy of 9 months post op.  I would do this surgery a million times over and put up with all the stuff I did for the healthy happy life I am living now.

Please call your Centre and tell them your concerns.  Please stick around here on OH and read as much as you can and ask questions. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon. IT DOES GET BETTER!

Hugs, Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Jami1371
on 8/3/16 7:21 pm

Daisy, 

Thank you so much for your message.  I cried reading it.  I really want this to work and I will call my center tomorrow morning and let them know what is going on.  

Again, thank you!  You have really picked me up off the floor.  

Jami

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 364 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 277 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 208 views