Just about the time

lking
on 7/30/16 10:38 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

According to my surgeon, the bowel obstruction (pelvic internal hernia) I had, is uncommon, not caused from having weight loss surgery, and can happen to anyone.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

selhard
on 7/30/16 10:41 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I hope the replies are helping in your decision-making?  I continue to learn from both positive or negative contributions to OH, continue to find strength in OH, and continue to reply with intentions of paying-it-forward.  I don't view complication stories as bad stories, rather reality stories important to take into consideration whether you are pre-op trying to determine whether or not you are ready to take the leap of faith for better health or if you are post-op thankful to the WLSers that take the time to warn others how to deal with or even avoid things like ulcers, staph infection, strictures, hernia, obstructions, and regain.  Not all complications are a result of rule-breaking.  Not all people would do it all over again. Not everything in life is divided fairly amongst us.  Sharing experiences gives us power to sift through the information, glean what we can, and make what decision feels right.    

cheapskate
on 7/30/16 12:32 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Here's what I know. 

My complications had complications and I still wouldn't change a thing! 

I had no comorbidities.. But I would have. 

catwoman7
on 7/30/16 5:25 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

Strictures are more common than the other two (I think bowel obstructions are pretty rare, in fact).   According to the PA in my surgeon's office, strictures occur in about 5% of patients.  I had two of them.  It's a very easy fix and I'd still have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

G2GAWAY
on 7/30/16 11:32 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

There can be complications in life just walking out your front door every day. There are risks driving down the road. There are risks to not losing the weight. I had zero complications. Zero. I followed the rules and did what the doctor told me to do. Just listen to your body and call the doctor if you have any concerns. 

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Pokemom
on 8/1/16 10:40 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

My surgeon told me that, statistically, hysterectomy and gall bladder surgery have more complications than RNY surgery.  These two are very common surgeries, and few seem to question them.

I have not had complications.  I am so happy with my RNY choice!

To manage my pre surgery fear before a hysterectomy (one yr before RNY), I found a meditation/affirmation CD that I listened to a few times before the surgery.  It was so reassuring.  I used it again before my RNY.

Belaruth Naparstak, "guided imagery to promote successful surgery."  It was a real game changer for me.  Before listening to it, I was full of fear and doubt.  After, I was at ease and looking forward to the surgery.

good luck on your decision making.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/16 6:36 am

Pokemom - that is a great idea.  I used to listen to meditation CDs, and they can really help one to relax.  I didn't think of this!  So glad to hear that you did so well with your surgery!  Thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 315 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 407 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?