Eating out in USA

Photomadsue
on 5/28/16 8:43 pm
RNY on 10/23/16

Thank you so much for the information and the links.

We have been to Boston twice before and loved the city, walking the Freedom Trail and doing a whale watch trip where we got horribly sunburned (despite the cloudy skies). This time, we fly into Boston but are heading straight up the coast to Maine as we have less than two weeks. We liked the look of the trolley tours but as hubby uses a mobility scooter, those sorts of trips are difficult. 

This time we managed to get business class flights using airmiles. It is the first time we've flown business class and there will be a lot of nice food and drink that I won't manage to eat all of. For me it is a very small trade off for the results I've had from my surgery. We've been able to choose our meal in advance and I have chosen a filet steak. 

We leave for London this morning to visit my son who lives close to Heathrow where we fly from on Wednesday. It feels so good to be looking forward to the trip without worrying about my weight. The flight will be so much more comfortable and I'll be so much more active during the trip without getting all hot and bothered. I've a long trip to Australia in November to visit another son and meet my grandaughter for the first time. The goal is another 2.5 stones off for then.

Thanks you so much everyone once more for all your invaluable help. 

NYMom222
on 5/29/16 3:55 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Appetizer for a meal, is no biggie... Some other things I've done, although you may still have leftovers....which may or may not work with traveling. Order a salad no lettuce- just give you the toppings- recently had one with steak, tomato, onions, blue cheese, bacon and artichoke hearts. Still huge, and delicious. Fish tacos, no taco shell. Sandwiches, no bread... both hot and cold.I've gotten a few strange looks, but they usually do it up very nice for you. Never have been disappointed.

Side salad with a protein. They often list proteins you can get on top of salads separate.

Have fun! Boston is great!!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathyjs
on 5/29/16 5:10 pm

I ask for a take out box before I even begin to eat. Put half away and enjoy my meal twice. I personally think the RNY card is hideous but that's just my opinion. Order a child's meal? Or I have followed a previous posters advice about our bodies not being trash cans and simply leaving what I can't eat. Have a great time in the USA!!

crafty_gal
on 5/30/16 8:30 am
RNY on 04/26/16

Never heard of a bariatric surgery card.

As others have said, restaurants here are VERY accommodating. Some will let you order from the "children's menu" also - I tell them I am recovering from surgery and can't eat much, and no one asks what kind of surgery, but they've said it was fine.

Yesterday, we went out to Applebees. I ordered a bowl of soup for myself and an order of sweet potato fries. I was only able to eat about half of each, even with the kids and hubby helping me with the fries. I got a "to go" bowl for the other half of the soup, ready for lunch today!

Some restaurants will charge you an extra fee for a second plate with one meal, some won't. No one will try to make you feel bad for not ordering enough, though of course, they will keep asking if you want more.

Have a wonderful trip!

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 166 views