Eating out in USA

Photomadsue
on 5/27/16 11:35 am
RNY on 10/23/16

Hello everyone

I've gained so much information reading all the posts and now I am hoping that you can help me with a question I have.

I am from the UK and next Wed (1st June) Hubby and I fly out to Boston for a trip up the Maine coast. I'm 7 months out from RNY surgery and I haven't eaten out much at restaurants yet. 

I'm not sure what is socially acceptable in the US. Can I just ask for a starter to have as a main course? I really don't want to have to explain why at every restaurant that I go to. I believe that US citizens who have had bariatric surgery get a card to say this and they can show it in restaurants. People assure me that the US is much more geared up for us bariatric folk than the UK are.

How do you all go about it? I really don't want to be taking some off hubby's meal every time, it isn't nice for him. We've had pre surgery trips to the US and always found the portions enormous. Hubby could easily spare me a bit from his, but we worry that if we ask for a meal for him and just a plate for me, then it might not go down too well. Restaurants have to make money and I don't think that they will make much from me :-)

How do you all handle it?  I really want to try Lobster, but can't imagine handling a whole one!

Thank you.

Queen JB
on 5/27/16 12:46 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Welcome to Boston! I live here and I'm happy to tell you that most places will bend over backwards to accommodate your nutritional needs and no one asks questions! They are used to a million college students, the gluten free movement, food allergies, and a million other reasons why people are high maintenance here.

I get appetizers as dinner all the time! No biggie. The sometimes get worried when I don't finish everything--but saying I wasn't hungry seems to satisfy everyone. The portions will be too large, but take it home if you can, and if not, oh well...

As for lobster--yeah don't bother getting a full one. I fond lobster to be extra filling. Order and appetizer and take a few bites off of hubby's plate. Or just find something with lobster in it. We put lobster in everything (!!!), so you can get some bites in from an appetizer without having the whole thing.

Enjoy your trip!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

AngryViking
on 5/27/16 12:47 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Yep, when Matt and I go out I get an app and take a couple of bites from whatever entrée he orders.  I've yet to come across a restaurant that frowns on that.

ttfan
on 5/27/16 1:30 pm
RNY on 08/15/16

I am from Maine so I have eaten a ton of Lobster's in my life, the best bet is to order a Lobster roll and just eat the lobster meat not the roll, most lobster rolls are either 2 or 4 ounces you can tell them no mayo or butter or have it on the side and don't eat the roll, it is usually much cheaper that way also!

White Dove
on 5/27/16 3:00 pm - Warren, OH

Nobody uses those bariatric surgery cards because we don't think it is anyone's business that we had the  surgery.

I usually order a full meal and take most of it home.  A good appetizer for me is shrimp ****tail and sometimes that is all I eat. 

I am careful to tip the waiter the amount that would be expected from a person who is eating a full meal when I only have soup or an appetizer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 5/27/16 3:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, Photomadsue wrote:

Hello everyone

I've gained so much information reading all the posts and now I am hoping that you can help me with a question I have.

I am from the UK and next Wed (1st June) Hubby and I fly out to Boston for a trip up the Maine coast. I'm 7 months out from RNY surgery and I haven't eaten out much at restaurants yet. 

I'm not sure what is socially acceptable in the US. Can I just ask for a starter to have as a main course? I really don't want to have to explain why at every restaurant that I go to. I believe that US citizens who have had bariatric surgery get a card to say this and they can show it in restaurants. People assure me that the US is much more geared up for us bariatric folk than the UK are.

How do you all go about it? I really don't want to be taking some off hubby's meal every time, it isn't nice for him. We've had pre surgery trips to the US and always found the portions enormous. Hubby could easily spare me a bit from his, but we worry that if we ask for a meal for him and just a plate for me, then it might not go down too well. Restaurants have to make money and I don't think that they will make much from me :-)

How do you all handle it?  I really want to try Lobster, but can't imagine handling a whole one!

Thank you.

DH and I always share a meal. We tell the server and ask for an extra plate and sometimes they will divide it for us in the kitchen. 

Even the nicest restaurants are used to sharers and don't blink an eye. 

Try a lobster! There isn't that much flesh on it anyway but it is delicious.

April Parker
on 5/27/16 6:10 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Most restaurants have side items as well if you don't like the appetizers. Have fun!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

G2GAWAY
on 5/27/16 10:10 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I have had great success eating out just about anywhere.  Just ask for what you want.  I tend to like shrimp or scallops, so if I go somewhere that serves it I don't even look at the menu and I ask the server if there is any way to get a side or skewer of either of these. Just have something in mind and ask if they can help you.  My doctor gave me a card to present to the restaurant that would let me order a kids meal, but honestly, I have never used it.  I have told them that I had surgery and need to eat a certain way. Peruse menus online ahead of time if you can.  That helps.  I often order an appetizer for my meal.  Sometimes I order with my husband or daughter (something like steak and scallops) and we share. Not sure if that will work for you.  Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

P.S. I have not been there, but I hear that the lobster is pretty inexpensive there. The option for that might be to have your husband order something like steak and lobster and you just eat some of it.

Good luck and have an awesome trip.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Photomadsue
on 5/27/16 10:48 pm
RNY on 10/23/16

Thank you so much everyone, I feel a lot easier about this, especially sharing and getting an extra plate. We were in Yellowstone and Utah last year and the portions were enormous, even for me pre surgery and hubby with his big appetite. 

My main worry was asking for something that wasn't customary to ask for, but it seems that more or less anything goes. I'm so looking forward to trying Lobster. The first time I think I'll take some from hubby to see how I get on with it. I adore fish but at the moment it can be a struggle. The suggestion to try lobster roll and leave the bun is a good one. I've seen pictures of that and it looks delicious. 

Thank you all once again, I'll come back and let you know how I got on. We fly in a few days and I'm so excited. It isn't our first trip to the Maine coast, but our first trip to the US since I've had my surgery. This will be the first flight where I am not worrying about needing a seat belt extender and a host of other ways I'm going to enjoy this trip more. I'm 5.5 stones down since the end of October and I'm hoping for another 2.5 off. Another first for me is that I'm researching hiking trails to do, that just wouldn't have happened before. :-)

Eggface
on 5/28/16 2:50 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

That is a lovely trip. I love Boston. Second favorite city in the US. Most restaurants will have something for you and they are pretty used special requests... in the US we are pretty high maintenance LOL gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, you name it ;) whether it's the latest trend or actually health related is another story. I don't do bread, rice, pasta, white potatoes, chips, etc... so my standard request is all veggies or salad instead of the carb component and I've never been turned down. 

In Boston the seafood is great if you are lover of that... maybe ask for sauces on the side or lighter. Crab legs are a restaurant go to for me, steak is an easy one. Salads with protein on top. Some options http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2014/10/06/healthy -lunch-restaurants-near-boston/ 

Some travel tips I did for a conference last year hope they help: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/10/healt hy-travel-tips-keeping-your-health.html 

Oh in Boston the Old Town Trolley Tour Buses are great... pay one price and hop on and off at all the major stuff http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/ and you can add on a Harbor cruise too. Highly recommend. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 405 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 382 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 379 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?