stagnant

Kota
on 5/17/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 01/01/16

Hi all...

I started this whole journey at 370 lbs  and with the 6 months supervised weight loss program pre-surgery till this day after surgery I have lost a total of 100 pounds....  That's great for me!   However...  I've hit a wall.. I'm currently bouncing back and forth between 268 and 270..

It's been like this for a few weeks now and I'm worried that this is where my body has decided to drop anchor permanently...

For the sake of honesty I will say that I have not been exercising like I should have.. I never really did exercise much ever before and after my RNY.. so I'm guessing picking that up will help me some but I still worry and would like some advice on how to proceed from here.

Another worry is that I've been eatting more than I use to right after surgery. I still cannot hold no more close to what i could when i had my whole stomach but I'm worried I might have streched out my pouch, which is another reason i worry about the weight loss stopping..

Anyway thanks for reading :)

jenorama
on 5/17/16 2:51 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Take your current weight and multiply it by 10.  That's a super rough estimate of what you need each day to maintain that weight.  Eat 500 calories less than that a day to lose 2 pounds a week.  Don't worry about exercise.  You can't outrun your fork.  

Jen

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/17/16 3:06 pm

I always thought that one pound of fat is 3500 calories so to loose 2 pounds in one week a person needs to cut back 7000 a week.

ttfan
on 5/18/16 2:57 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I only eat 7000 calories in a whole week and usually less then that!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/17/16 3:29 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I started at 347 pounds -- so not far from your starting weight. 

Truthfully, if you've remained at the same weight for more than a month, you are currently in maintenance.  This means that you are eating enough calories to maintain the weight you are currently at. 

One very cruel fact of losing weight is that as we lose, we actually have to eat less and less.  I know you want to take your computer, throw it on the floor while stomping your foot and cursing -- because that's how I feel about it, too.  It's really a cruel joke: you should be rewarded with being able to eat more not less!  But alas, as you get smaller your caloric needs get smaller, too.  It takes a lot less fuel to move around 270 pounds than it does 370 pounds.

It isn't the exercise.

Honest.

It's the food.  You are eating too many calories.

You can't outrun a bad eating plan.  

If you aren't measure/weighing your food and logging it, I highly recommend starting that immediately.  It has been my meticulous attention to these details that allowed me to adjust as I've gone down to continue losing.  

If you are eating more than 900 calories/40 grams of carbs a day -- then your stagnancy issue is likely due to eating too much.

Good luck!  You can do this.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

supershopper
on 5/17/16 5:13 pm

Hi- we are only 2 weeks apart on surgery- mine was dec 15 2015- I've stayed the same weight for 2 weeks and started to panic. i have not increased my calories but have been exercising. finally started my period yesterday and had some poop issues

I'm wondering if there is a 5 month stall??

but im not going over 780 calories a day and logging all my food and water/protein intake

i would reccomend my fitness pal if you aren't weighing and recording your food.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Kota
on 5/17/16 5:16 pm
RNY on 01/01/16

That's a really good idea. I'll go sign up for that!

Also, with my fitnesspal, is there a way to print out a record of your weekly or monthly stuff so i can have a record of it on paper?

G2GAWAY
on 5/17/16 8:57 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Aside from all of the other good advice you have received, I have found that it is sort of a stair step approach to weight loss.  I lose for a bit,. then sort of settle for a week or two or three.  Then all of a sudden, the efforts pay off, and I lose again. I feel that the body has some memories of the past and some places where it just needs to stabilize a bit.  Be patient. Do the right stuff.  It will happen.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 378 views