A little nervous

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 3:05 pm

Yes it does!! Thanks so much. 

Nicole K.
on 4/19/16 3:11 pm - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

I'm only 9 weeks in, so I'm still a newbie, but this is what I know to be true for me.  Same things may not apply to you 

•  I was only on the liquid diet beforehand a couple of days, I'm going to guess it's a lot rougher doing it for a couple of weeks, but if you want the surgery bad enough...
  •  I didn't and don't miss chewing.  For me anyways, food is the last thing on my mind anymore.  It's weird, my entire viewpoint on eating has changed.  I lost my sweet tooth (and it was huge), I almost have to force myself to get my calories in now.
  • I'm just starting to lose some hair, but it's not coming out in fist fulls, it's just a more noticeable shed.
  • I eat about 500-700 calories a day, but remember, I'm still a newbie, and it's quite a bit of work for me to want that much.
  • I used to take chewable multi vitamins and sublingual B-12, but my doctor just ran my first lab work for nutritional deficiencies today, once I get those back I suspect I'll be on more.  I also just started using the vitamin patches from Patch MD, since chewables upset my stomach. I've had a rougher time with the nausea I think than most, or, I'm just a big crybaby. I never used to get sick and I'm not a good sick person, AT ALL.

Everyone on this forum is super nice and helpful, welcome and good luck on your journey

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 6:05 pm

Thank you so so much everyone!

G2GAWAY
on 4/19/16 10:28 pm
RNY on 05/16/15
  • Is the liquid diet beforehand hard?  It's all relative. Hard as opposed to the health issues and joint pain you might be experiencing? I was on a liquid diet for one week, whi*****luded one meal each day (either a frozen diet meal, Wendy's chili, or an apple and something else-an option I never chose).  I was out of town for the weekend at the beginning of the week and I just dealt with it. Packed supplies, protein powder, frozen meal, and found the local Wendy's. You might be a bit hungry at first, but then I felt "lighter" and got through it with no problem. You will do just fine.
  • Will I miss chewing pre and post op...could be 4-5 weeks total. I sort of missed it a bit, but you really won't feel like eating much. My doctor said I could eat some beef jerky and that helped with the chewing sensation, because I wanted to pulverize it so it didn't cause any problems. You will be chewing food before you know it
  • Did anyone lose hair ? I took Hair, Skin, and Nails prior to the surgery and have continued with them because the doctor said there was something in there that was still good for me to have. I didn't really lose a lot, maybe more of a "shedding" as someone else described. I also used Nioxin shampoo and conditioning treatment for a few months. Not sure if either of these things made the difference, but figured it was worth a try. My hairdresser said that she had seen others who lost a lot of hair, but I was pretty lucky. I think keeping protein up is key, but I understand that anesthesia can also cause people to lose hair even if they didn't have bariatric surgery.
  • I know a few people who have had the rny and they seem to all look gaunt. Is that normal? I think it can happen. I feel like I had that look somewhat initially. Someone posted before that you lose weight distally and gain weight proximally. I found that to be true. I lost weight in my arms and face at first (and I was like geez that isn't where I want to lose it from), but then it sort of shifted. My husband actually said to me the other day that he didn't feel I had the look of someone who has lost weight (if that makes any sense).  I expect that I may look gaunt as I get to my goal (15-20 more pounds from now), but it will sort of adjust in time.
  • How many calories do you eat after?  Honestly, no idea. My doctor doesn't have me track that. His plan is more about focusing on dense protein, low sugar and low fat per serving counts.  Probably 800-1,000, maybe less.
  • How much vitamins can I expect to take? Are they in liquid form? I had a chewable vitamin at first, but it left a nasty taste in my mouth from the iron. Eventually, I switched to a large tablet once I could handle it. I also take a sublingual, Hair, Skin, and Nails, and calcium chews with vitamin D.
  • Good luck on your journey. I can only say that I wish I had the surgery years ago!!!!

Everyone's timing is different.  Don't compare yourself to others. You will lose faster with the surgery than at any other time in your life. Just follow your program. You will get to the finish line eventually.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 10:56 pm

Thanks so much for this. 

What vitamin was it that you were taking for hair and nails?

karenp8
on 4/20/16 5:22 am - Brighton, IL

Here's the answers from my experience. 1. I thought the liquid diet was the hardest part. I had to do shakes only for a week but kept reminding myself of why I was having surgery. At the time of surgery I weighed 258 and at my highest 272. I had diabetes,uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills,high triglycerides and high cholesterol. Both my parents died young due to complications from diabetes and I was on the same path. 2. I didn't really miss chewing as I just didn't have much appetite anymore after surgery. At 31/2 years post op I still rarely get hungry. 3. I did lose hair as others said,just shedding a bit more. It was only really noticeable to me and I have had it with other surgeries too from the anesthesia. 4. At about a year out I was down 150 pounds and did look a bit too thin for a short time. Then my body seemed to readjust and I looked better even though my weight didn't really change. 5. I usually eat 1000 to 1200 calories for maintenance and ate about 800 as I was losing. I measure my food carefully even today when I am home so I don't overeat. My surgeon suggests not more than one cup of food per meal three times a day with one snack if needed.6. I take two Centrum vitamins,a B 12 sublingual,and 7 calcium citrate pills a day. But I no longer take pills for diabetes,cholesterol,triglycerides and 2 blood pressure pills so it is all worth it! I went from a tight size 26 to a size 0 or 1 and from 272 to 120 today. I have been this weight for about three years. I no longer have knee and back pain everyday and can do anything I want to now. I just came back from camping where I walked 6 plus miles a day with my dog up and down hills and difficult trails and I'll tell you it feels great!! Best decision I ever made.

halliday
on 4/20/16 3:30 pm
RNY on 04/12/16

Hi This Girl.

I had my surgery just last week, so I can't answer all of your questions. But here is what I experienced.

• I had to go on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. The all liquid diet did allow strained creamed soups, soupy oatmeal and cream of wheat, plain non-fat yogurt and protein drinks. The surgeon said he wanted me to do it because it would shrink the size of my liver, which made the surgery easier. I also think he wanted me to get used to the post surgery diet. It was a little hard for the first few days, but then it got easier. I ate a lot of cream of mushroom soup (strained) and oatmeal. Since the surgery I'm pretty much on the same diet for the first two weeks.
  • I haven't lost any hair, and I hope I don't because it's already pretty thin up there.
  • So far I'm eating around 650 calories daily. I don't really desire any more.
  • I take 2 multi-vitamins and 2 calcium tabs a day. Also two B-12 dissolvable tabs, and I must do this for life.

Good luck. It's not  nearly as difficult as you might think. You have nothing to fear but fear itself!

HW = 296   SW = 273   GW = 195

thisgirl
on 4/20/16 4:27 pm

Thanks!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 340 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?