A little nervous

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 11:42 am

So I had my consult on Monday. They said surgery can happen within six months to a year so I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can. Hoping being on here I'll get some answers and learn more. 

Some questions:

• Is the liquid diet beforehand hard?
  • Will I miss chewing pre and post op...could be 4-5 weeks total. 
  • Did anyone lose hair ?
  • I know a few people who have had the rny and they seem to all look gaunt. Is that normal?
  • How many calories do you eat after?
  • How much vitamins can I expect to take? Are they in liquid form?

I think that's it for now. Would very much aappreciate the feedback. ?

I have about 120 to lose so I'm thinking that might take a while?

Emiepie
on 4/19/16 1:35 pm, edited 4/19/16 7:16 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Afternoon, I will reply with the information from my experience....

• Is the liquid diet beforehand hard? I was only on liquids the day before surgery and then nothing for 8-12 hours before surgery. 
  • Will I miss chewing pre and post op...could be 4-5 weeks total. I did not experience this
  • Did anyone lose hair ? I did lose hair between 4-6 months. I wanted to try a new style anyways so I cut off 13 inches and it seemed less traumatic to me to after that
  • I know a few people who have had the rny and they seem to all look gaunt. Is that normal? I feel I did for a few months, but then it all seemed to "even' out-not sure if that makes sense
  • How many calories do you eat after? Once I added back in food it was around 600 cals and slowly added up from there. Now to maintain I get around 1000-1200 which seems to work out with my exercise routine.
  • How much vitamins can I expect to take? Are they in liquid form? I haven't taken liquid vitamins but have used chewable. My plan calls for a chewable mutli that has iron (I use centrum), 1500mg calcium citrate-(500 three times a day which can't be taken at the same time as iron), 500 micrograms B12 sublingual (I know it sounds like a lot but once I had my routine down it's easy now).

Best of luck to you!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 2:24 pm

Thanks so much! Re the vitamins, I already take them daily so the amount doesn't bother me, I just wondered about the mechanics bc of the pouch.  

Re the hair and looking gaunt, def makes sense. 

I guess everyone's pre and post opp requirements are diff. My clinic does 3 weeks before, two weeks after, then puree for a week, then solids after that. 

I'm excitedbut so nervous.

Any down does or side effects that anyone experienced? Is the nausea a given?

Emiepie
on 4/19/16 3:15 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I was only nauseous as I was waking up from surgery but nothing after that.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

robinreinhardt
on 4/19/16 2:45 pm

Emiepie,

I always love your posts! You are always so helpful to everyone here. Including me. I was away from here for 8 weeks and gained 6 pounds. It taught me a valuable lesson though and I will never be gone again. Thanks Emiepie for being my friend on OH. Have a fab day.

Robin

Emiepie
on 4/19/16 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

You're so sweet Robin, thanks for this message-made my day :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/19/16 2:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Liquid diet: Depends. Not everyone needs one-- some folks have none, some have a few days, others have 2 weeks. Search for "liquid diet" and you'll see lots of stories.

Chewing: Probably not. A few people claim to "crave salad" and want to crunch things, but you can chomp on ice if need be.

Hair: Most people lose some hair. Search "telogen effluvium."

Gaunt: Depends on how much you weigh, before and after. Many times people are used to someone's appearance when MO and a normal/healthy weight is such a shock that they look too skinny. Lots of folks end up with some loose skin, even in the face, after losing a bit and that certainly doesn't help.

Calories: Ask your doctor. Around here, though, most folks do 600 - 800 while losing, and 1000 - 1200 in maintenance.

Vitamins: Few people here seem to do liquid. Many do chewables soon post-op, and you're generally fine to take regular pills. A serious multi is a must, and many add calcium, iron, and B12 as lab results dictate.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

thisgirl
on 4/19/16 2:48 pm

Thanks so much. I'll def be looking those up. 

Ya at this clinic, same process for everyone. I have my first dietician appt on Monday. ?

gibbygal
on 4/19/16 5:56 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I do the vitamin patches that I learned about on this site.  They are from Patchmd. com and there is also a facebook page so you can get discount codes.  I love them. Frees up room in a tender stomach.  I love my surgery.  I had it February 16th.  People ask would you do it again? I said, "Yes, I wish I would have done it ten years ago!"  You will do great!!

robinreinhardt
on 4/19/16 2:54 pm
  1. No liquid diet.
  2. Don't miss chewing but totally miss eating so much at times. Lol
  3. No hair loss but kept my protein levels up.
  4. Never gaunt for me. What do they say? You can't ever be thin enough or rich enough. Lol
  5. 600-800 calories works for me.
  6. Same vitamins as everyone else. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 402 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?