"You're getting too skinny" and other comments

G2GAWAY
on 4/18/16 10:00 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I have been experiencing the same thing and still want to lose 15-20 more pounds. I have had people say, "You are so thin now."  And I reply thanks and that I am thin relative to what I was but that I am still working to lose a few more to get into the normal range.  I have stopped replying to the few people who have asked, 'How much have you lost?"  I know they are not being mean, but it minimizes questions and gasps when I don't give a number. I simply say, "A lot" or "a small person."  

I don't mind the comments.  In fact, I am afraid I might be a little sad when this is the new normal and nobody notices or comments. In the end, I had the surgery for my health and that is infinitely improved.

Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

iloveravens
on 4/19/16 5:25 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I think people finally do stop, once they are used to the new you.  The worst I got was, "EAT SOMETHING!!" from a co-worker from down the hall, where others could hear him.  It was so embarrassing.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

thallnc
on 4/19/16 5:50 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

You know what's funny....I have a friend that keeps telling me that I don't need to lose anymore because I will be too skinny. I'm a size 8/10 now and would like to drop another 20 lbs. She has gained weight recently and is now wearing a size 10 and all she keeps talking about is how big she is and can't believe she is wearing a 10 now. I don't let her comments bother me because I know we all see ourselves differently than how others see us.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Teena D.
on 4/19/16 12:08 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!! So awesome.  And I just can't wait to hear people say that I'm too skinny!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

robinreinhardt
on 4/19/16 3:06 pm

I understand your feelings. I actually think I got addicted to the positive comments. I was like you and was embarrassed to be in public as well. I am out 16 months now from my RNY and it's a daily job to stay on course. Being here on OH is a life saver though. Good luck to you.

Robin

DanaDenise
on 4/19/16 5:24 pm

Try not to let it get to you!  As long as you have a healthy BMI, you decide what weight is best for you!  I think we've all heard it, and it is annoying...discouraging even!  Stick to your plan!  XO

gibbygal
on 4/19/16 6:06 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I am still at the point that everyone has to tell me with their horror stories about weight loss surgery. Really? I am not trying to recruit you! I am just doing this for me.  I am not telling everyone else how to live.  If I believed every story, I would have never had the surgery in the first place.  Everyone here in Obesityhelp is right! You need to not listen.  Only you can take care of yourself.  They don't walk in your shoes.

NYMom222
on 4/19/16 7:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think we do look drawn sometimes when we are losing weight...once the body gets used to where we are we kind of fill out a little in the face...even if we are the same weight....

I have also had the comment, "I think I need to feed you a piece of cake"....

BMI doesn't tell the whole story... you have to look at you and see what you are happy with. Met one of the ladies from my support group for coffee last week. We are the same height (5'11")... She weighs 15lbs less than me, and has 10lb regain she is trying to lose. So eventually she would be 25lbs less than me...yet the same height. When we compared stats...I have smaller measurements bust-waist-hips and wear 2 sizes smaller.... can't always go by the number on the scale.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/20/16 5:01 am, edited 4/19/16 10:01 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I haven't read all the other replies so forgive me if I repeat.

This is a frequent situation.  This topic even came up at my surg's support group last night.  The NUIT said "you cannot go by what people are telling you - they don't know what they are talking about" DIRECT QUOTE.

The only time I think you might want to listen is if someone YOU DON'T KNOW says that to you, out of the blue. 

So, go some places where people do NOT know you from before.  Join a new trivia group, go to a new church, take a yoga class a town over.  People are not thinking that you are too skinny at BMI=29.  You will prob see that it is your friends' inability to quickly adapt to the new you, not you. (Don't blame your friends, it took me awhile to get used to the new me - I even had to bring out pictures from 25 years ago when I was thin for comparison.)

Don't blame your friends, but certainly don't listen to them. 

Sharon

Amy R.
on 4/22/16 5:54 am

"The only time I think you might want to listen is if someone YOU DON'T KNOW says that to you, out of the blue. 

So, go some places where people do NOT know you from before.  Join a new trivia group, go to a new church, take a yoga class a town over.  People are not thinking that you are too skinny at BMI=29. "

THIS!  I absolutely LOVE this - it is spot on.  Kudos Sharon.  You nailed it.  =)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 275 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 404 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 208 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?