Partially broken and somewhat terrified...

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/8/16 5:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am two years out.

I have never "dumped"

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/16 5:58 pm - CA

Welcome to OH!   I am glad you decided to post! I am 15 years post op and am so very thankful for this surgery.  Any surgery we choose is a tool to help us lose weight and the components of malabsorption and dumping are two real factors.  However, if you eat according to your post op diet and don't push the boundaries with trying sugar and high fat foods, you will be fine.  Vitamin must be taken for the rest of your life, but thanks to the ever evolving medical industry, they now have topical patches, so we don't have to swallow a bunch of pills daily.  However,  you do need to ensure you are taking your vitamins daily, no matter what method. 

I compeletely understand your fear and unease of having to now change to the RNY, but you have come to the right place to get some advice and to network with others going thru the surgery.   I found this site right before my surgery and am so thankful. So, to answer your question......I would do this surgery all over again in a heartbeat, hands down!!!!

Again, welcome and I hope to see you posting more on the boards.  

~Nik

ElusiveSigh
on 4/5/16 6:15 pm

I had no idea about topical vitamins! That is awesome! I don't like sugar much... every now and again but I do love pizza. I know some people just eat smaller portions of everything but I don't want to do that. I need to learn to not eat for pleasure or comfort but for nutrition only. I am also wondering about pre-op diet and if you're starving post-op. I already have 0 appetite so I am worried about being dehydrated after. I am having a hard time now and I chug water. I know I need to learn to sip and not drink with meals also.

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/5/16 6:02 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

First, welcome!   Second, realize that as an RN you see the complications far more often than you see the successes so that's going to get in your way if you let it.  Please know there are lots of people here who have had no to minimal complications and are doing fantastic!  Only you can decide if the RNY will work for you.  I would seriously recommend seeing a counselor who can help you thru your fears and the negative self talk.  Your self image is totally your choice - I'm choosing to see any and all sagging skin as a victory.  A well trained therapist can help you with that so much!  

Personally,  I had read here a lot of stories, the good, the bad and the ugly.  But, what I needed to remember is that there's more of the second two than the first, just because this is a great place to find help whenever there's a problem.  I had one setback after surgery, so far, but it's been manageable and I'm feeling stronger and thinner almost every day now.  Dumping only happens if you're intent is to eat sugar.  If you plan on avoiding sugar laden items, it's most likely you'll never have any dumping.   Duh-me I had to test it with some Easter candy - I've learned my lesson, but I didn't die from it!  It sucked, but I learned quick!  I believe that most people don't have malabsorption issues because they take their vitamins/minerals and follow doctor's orders and get their bloodwork done as required.  Working with a therapist who specializes in disordered eating has helped me understand so many things and is helping me get thru this - 'cause I want to be a thinner winner!  I know for sure that I wouldn't be nearly so comfortable with my decision had I skipped the therapy part.

Good luck to you!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

ElusiveSigh
on 4/5/16 6:18 pm

I keep telling myself that about being an RN... I hear ALL of the horror stories.

Your quote cracked me up about having a fat experience. Isn't that a modification of a Wayne Dyer quote? :)

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/5/16 6:20 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Thanks and yes, it is!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

G2GAWAY
on 4/5/16 11:25 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

When I started investigating surgery as an option for me, I was sure I wanted the sleeve. After consultation with my surgeon, he said he would perform that surgery; however, based on my situation and what I had to lose, he recommended the RNY for me to have good results. I decided that he was the professional and he knew best. I had the RNY surgery and have lost 130 pounds so far and am not even at my one year surgiversary. I, too, was worried about dumping and bathroom issues. In fact, I bought adult diapers so that I could wear them on my drive to work and feared that I would need them while at work too. All these worries were for nothing. I had no complications, have had no dumping (never wore a diaper), and although I had diarrhea in the first 2 weeks, and a couple of constipation issues, I couldn't be happier with the RNY. I believe that following the proper eating plan helps prevent some of the complications I read about others having, so I agree with what Iloveravens posted as far as that goes. 

This surgery is not a cure all as it requires you to do the work, but I know that I would never have been this successful on my own (as proven by the past 30 years of battle of the bulge). This amazing tool has made it possible for me to be successful at last. I have continued to focus on protein first, some vegies (later in the process****asional fruit. I didn't deviate (I'm not perfect by any means, but figure I could eventually have all these foods sometime in the future and it was not worth sabotaging my success or risking problems) from the plan given to me by the doctor's office. I didn't try to have too much too soon. I have read about people eating pizza or steak very early on and I think that can only lead to problems. I watch the sugar counts in everything and my doctor's recommendation was to keep it less than 5 grams per serving (my greek yogurt is 7 grams, but early on I could only eat 1/2 a serving, so it was fine).  

So, no dumping ever, but I haven't tested it with too much sugar (yes I have had a bite of someone else's dessert-but one bite only). Really little challenges with the bathroom issues (but I understand your worries).

My only wish is that I had opted for surgery years ago. Good luck on your journey.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

ElusiveSigh
on 4/6/16 4:42 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! Very appreciated and it's definitely making me feel better. :)

Kathyjs
on 4/6/16 4:40 am

I had open RNY and that way they fixed my hiatal hernia also. I sure don't miss sleeping with bed elevated and heartburn etc. I would be lying to say I have never dumped in 13 years but it was no surprise because I knew I shouldn't have eaten what I did . It's not that big of a deal but enough to keep you honest :-) if you have a lot of weight to lose it doesn't matter which surgery you have, you will have loose skin. If I was younger I would have tummy tuck and if I was rich I would have face lift but what I do have is my health. 

ElusiveSigh
on 4/6/16 4:44 am

I wonder if it's the hernia that causes the reflux in some way. I didn't have what I thought were symptoms of reflux until I realized coughing at night can be one of them. It's definitely not traditional heartburn. My surgeon basically said dumping is a punishment for eating wrong and you learn pretty quickly what you can and cannot eat.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 340 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 152 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?