One Week Post-Surgery, need some support!

Solaris_lun
on 4/6/16 6:24 am - Waldorf, MD
RNY on 03/21/16

I am 3 weeks post-op and I think one of the most important things to remember is how much you're gaining by making the choice to change your life, not what you're losing (the food).  Easier said than done but focus on that everyday.  Once you can eat solid-is foods focus on the flavor in each bite and think of how you're nourishing your body.  If someone like myself can get past the head hunger I know anyone can with some hard work and determination.  It gets better.  :)

Deanna798
on 4/6/16 6:55 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I cried at one week after surgery when my husband got a hot dog at Sam's Club.  I thought I'd be okay beforehand and told him to go ahead and get it, but as he was eating it I realized how not okay with it I was.  Fortunately, my hubby has been super supportive.  It's harder for you because your husband isn't 100% behind you, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful!  You just have to keep your eyes on the prize.  You are very early out from surgery, so this will be hard, but once you heal up and get to the point where you can eat real food again, I am sure you will be able to go to your favorite restaurant again, as I'm sure that there will be something on the menu that you can eat.  It's all about making the right choices and planning ahead.

Emotions run high, just focus on you and your health and stick around here.  There will always be someone here who can relate to how you are feeling, good or bad.  Be strong and stick with it!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

ShaunaBinks
on 4/6/16 6:55 am
RNY on 03/16/16

3 weeks post op here too.  

Head hunger- its REAL!!!!! We watch TV on the DVR so we ff through the commercials. That helps alot- we even start shows 15 mins late so we can. 

take a sip of something. ask yourself is that really hunger? or head hunger.? write it down in the journal- things that stimulate your hunger.

5 days post op and i was cooking for my family again.  Holy moly.  I would serve them, and then clean the kitchen and talk to them but i couldnt sit down with them- until yesterday- when i had the same dinner as them- taco tuesday- i had shredded chicken (1/4 cup) but no nachos, tortilla etc. but it was great!  So yes, it gets better.

if they ordered pizza- i would just leave the room and go to my bedroom and read. They understood.  We probably had more meals apart in the past 3 weeks than we did together. 

It does get better. 

get your protein in and your water. remove yourself as best you can the first few weeks, if that is an option. 

i would cry the first week at anything. VERY emotional for sure. its a combo of the hormones and the drugs.

you are going to be okay. this group is so amazing.  jump in. 

read "whats on your menu RnYers" you get to know the personalities and fall in love with everyone on here. its so awesome.

i post on there even if i am on just shakes... they are so great.

and btw i am 3 weeks post op- i lost 15, you are a week and have lost 17. i know we cant compare but girl! WAY TO GO!~

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

CGCL
on 4/6/16 9:04 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I have always found, both pre- and post-op, that having lots of protein and being fully hydrated makes any cravings go away. Pre-op I simply increased protein until I found a good balance point and was surprised how much it took; I think I was taking in 130g/day but ended up being only 1600 calories and I was very full, including a double protein shake for breakfast.

These days, I supplement with a single protein shake 3-4 days a week and still find them very filling. Normally my Dr prefers we use real food, but has given me the go-ahead to do this as I am currently pregnant and have some food aversions.

We go out to restaurants and I've figured out something that has actually taken stress out of it. We used to argue about where to go, not because we wanted to go somewhere but because we wanted the other person to choose! Hubby grew up eating out frequently and his parents insist on having every celebration being a huge heavy meal...so I've said now I'll go anywhere rather than having the same tiresome negotiations every single time.

I let those with the regular ol' big stomachs choose, and if I'm hungry and there's something I can eat I'll get something. Otherwise, I get some water or unsweet iced tea and hang out with them. The point now is to socialize. If I'm hungry and there's nothing at the restaurant I want/can eat, no big deal. I'll eat later. I have learned to keep some nuts or jerky in my purse, so if I get the shakes from low BS I have something edible.

It does get better! It takes a while to recover. Be kind to yourself. You may need time to grieve the loss of your friend, too much food. There will be a time soon when you go to a restaurant and are astonished by the portions! I tell hubby I'm a cheap date now because if I order an entree most of it goes home with me and I get 2-4 more meals out of it! 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 433 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 164 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?