Post op fatigue ????

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/3/16 5:54 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Completely normal.  

I was exhausted for the first few months.  

It makes sense: you've had major surgery and you are starving yourself.  Of course our bodies are tired!

I promise it DOES get better.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Daisydoo02
on 4/3/16 6:00 pm, edited 4/3/16 11:15 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Shauna,

What you posted is totally and completely normal!!!!!  Let me briefly tell you about my journey freshly post op.  I had surgery Nov 15, 2013.  I have a fantastic short term sick leave program at work (up to 16 weeks) and so I had asked the Nurse how long I should take off work, she asked me how long can you take, I said 16 weeks, so she said well we say anywhere from 3-6 weeks. So I said okay write me a note to my Occ Health/HR program for 6 weeks.  So I took a full six weeks off work after surgery.  I was so tired after surgery.  I had a really hard time getting in my liquids and protein. I had a few crying meltdowns and then I said well I didn't go through all this to be a cry baby and fail so I picked myself up, starting getting in my liquids and protein shakes and felt better. But just wanted to say that I truly did not feel back to myself until I was three or four months post op.  That's when I really got the hang of vitamins, eating, waiting 30 minutes, drinking, weighing and measuring and getting my protein.  Not going to lie, it was a struggle. But I did it, we all did it and you can too!  

There is nothing wrong with taking time for you.  You had major surgery, you have changed your life and eating drastically, you are eating so fewer calories now, give your body time to adjust and heal.

Don't hesitate to come to OH and ask questions and let us know how you are, if you need help, we are here.

Keep up the great work.

Oh as for caffeine some programs, not sure about yours allow decaf coffee.  I drank decaf up to about 8 or 9 months post op then I went back to full caffeine and have not looked back! LOL LOL

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

NYMom222
on 4/3/16 6:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am not a napper, but after surgery, even though I felt generally good.... I had to lay down in the afternoon for weeks. I think it is mentally exhausting in the beginning trying to keep track of everything as well.

My Doc must be a coffee drinker because he never told us to get off caffeine. I got caffeinated coffee day 1 on my post-op tray in the hospital.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

G2GAWAY
on 4/3/16 9:14 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Completely normal. I did much the same. Took one week off, worked from home week 2.  I worked the first day back, but struggled, and decided to leave an hour early each day for week 3.  I came home and took a nap every day for a few weeks after returning to work. I didn't really start to feel rested/"normal" until about 6-1/2 weeks out. Just keep doing what you are doing and all of a sudden you will feel so much better. I told the doctor that I was so surprised at how tired I was especially since he said I could go back to work. He told me, "I said you could go back to work.  I didn't say you wouldn't be tired!"  

It will get better, so much better. 

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

ShaunaBinks
on 4/4/16 5:35 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thank you all! i feel so much better knowing that i am not just lazy or self indulgent, that the struggle is real

I couldnt sleep last night , so i will probably be extra tired today. I usually take magnesium before bed, as it calms my somewhat restless leg and age /hormone related sleep stuff. but that pill is HUGE.  i ordered some magnesium lotion, and oil, both with high bio-availability and hoping that will help my leg discomfort and allow me to sleep at night!

I appreciate all of your knowledge, support and experience. I dont post too often, but i read every day

Shauna

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

CGCL
on 4/4/16 7:36 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

It took me six months. I had an infection and spent a week in the hospital two-three weeks out, so I didn't really start to recover well until that cleared off. About five months out my PCP tested my thyroid and discovered it was a bit low, so put me on meds for that. Two weeks later I felt great! 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 433 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 165 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?