Food issues Help!

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/30/16 3:52 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Avoid all of those foods.  Try chili, shrimps, eggs, nuts, other fish and meats and poultry.  I can't eat fruit at all and must be careful with lactose at 2.5 years out.  Try eating 6 to 8 x a day in small portions of 100-200 calories.  See if that helps stabalise your blood sugars and dumping.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Catek2652
on 3/30/16 4:06 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I am five months post op and I am not yet allowed to eat fruit other than a couple (five) blueberries and the equivalent of a tart apple (cubed with the skin off), no bread of any kind, no carbs, no processed food of any kind. I am allowed only plain greek yogurt. I am not having difficulty with milk products, thank goodness... but the focus is on protein (meats of all kinds, fish, chicken, eggs) and some leafy green veggies like broccoli, spinach, cabbage... I was told I would not be allowed to eat carbs until I reached goal weight which I figure is around the one year mark. Then, I'm told, the carbs are ONLY to reach a maintenance level in calories... so I might get a couple of crackers with that chicken salad.

If you have a lactose problem, I would talk to the surgeon and find out if you can switch to a soy based protein shake.

The only time I have felt sick was when I ate some cream of broccoli soup. It was too rich and I suspect it contained flour. It only took a couple of spoonfuls to bring on the sickly feeling so I haven't repeated that experiment.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

ChristyO
on 3/30/16 4:17 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Yes, I can't eat Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, milk, bread, carbs,  I can't tolerate it either and would get very sick.   I stick with only small amounts of regular meals I make for the Family, with meats and chicken, bacon. Just Protein and applesauce and cottage cheese. I do well most of the time if I eat small amounts. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

supershopper
on 3/30/16 5:08 am

Stay on these boards and learn from the vets! they are a fountain of information that your surgeon/nut will NOT tell you or haven't.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/30/16 6:32 am

fruits, yogurt, anything with milk, any carbs, bread.

I am 8 years post op. I get that feeling when I eat the foods you listed. So I DON'T eat them.  I may eat some fruits, berries, but not a lot and not often. The rest - I don't. Milk products have a lot of sugars. Lactose. I never could eat that and feel ok. 

3 years post op I was diagnosed with dairy allergies. Allegires to proteins: like whey, caseine..etc.. That explained why I never tolerated them that well post op. 

I eat meat, fish, non starchy veggies, eggs, avocado, some nuts.. ..  

We don't need bread or most fruits... Sure they taste nice... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/16 8:01 am - CA

Sounds like you are dumping on the sugar that is in those food items.  I still dump, even at 15 years post op, so I avoid yogurts with sugar that is over 7-9 grams.  Fruits, I do not do unless it is strawberries/blueberries or raspberries.   Any other fruit and I dump.   Milk, I rarely drink it now.   I cannot use milk in any powder protein, because the added sugar to the protein makes me dump.  I like the premade ones and I rarely dump.   

I would definitely refocus your food intake to more protein and non starchy veggies.   You will have to experiment a bit, but you should be able to tolerate those fairly well or possibly with some altering in texture.  

Good luck. 

~Nik

Lorrainecma
on 3/30/16 8:03 am

It is not all that unusual for a RNY pt to have sensitivity to carbs (sugars) which are high in all the foods you named. Good for non-WLS pt's. Not so much for us. Stick to the high protein low carb foods. Some of us are much more sensitive than others, so you obviously are one of the ones that have to have very low carb. It could change some over time, but it could stay that way.

JAMStribe
on 3/30/16 2:32 pm

I agree with the others, sounds like you are lactose intolerant and perhaps too much sugar at one

time. If you eat fruit be sure to pair it with protein.  apple peanut butter, or cheese.  that type of thing. 

Sugar buzz is what happens to me even today 21 months out,

Robinp0425
on 3/30/16 6:12 pm
RNY on 12/02/15

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I thought I was the only one having these issues

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 432 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 160 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?