What's On Your Thursday Menu, RNYers?

AngryViking
on 3/17/16 5:08 am, edited 3/17/16 5:52 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Good Thursday morning and a very Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!  This 1/2 Irish girl was cracking open cans of Guinness at 6:30 this morning.  Top that!  Truth be told, they just got poured into the slow cooker over a corned beef brisket, but still, I represent my people very well.  LOL  I'm not really a fan of Guinness as a beverage; it's too yeasty.  If I want bread, I'm going to eat it, not drink it.  BUT, it makes an amazingly tender brisket.  I'm so looking forward to dinner!

So, my drive into work takes me through Tipperary Hill, which is home to the world's only upside down traffic light.  From Wikipedia because I'm lazy: 

"When the city first installed traffic signal lights in 1925, they placed one at a major intersection in the main business district on Tipperary Hill, at the corner of Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue. Local Irish youths, incensed that the "British" red appeared above the "Irish" green, threw stones at the signal and broke the red light. John "Huckle" Ryan, then alderman of the Tipperary Hill section, requested that the traffic signal be hung with the green above the red in deference to the Irish residents. This was done, but soon the State of New York stepped in (state law dictates that traffic signals must follow the same sequence to avoid confusing the color-blind), and city officials reversed the colors.

The red lights were again broken regularly. Members of a group called Tipperary Hill Protective Association addressed the town rulers. On March 17, 1928, Commissioner Bradley met with Tipp Hill residents, who told him that the light would continue to be vandalized. The city leaders relented, and green was again above the red light, where it remains."

Cool, right?  There's a little park right next to the traffic light with a statue of a family and the boy has a slingshot in his back pocket.  This morning the statues all had green scarves on and the pubs in the neighborhood were already open for business and hoppin'.  LOL  I probably drove over a half dozen shamrocks painted on the street.  I wish I didn't have to work today.

QOTD!  Are you wearing green to represent?  LOL, I know but I can't think of anything.  I am actually not wearing green, but I think my o'dark-thirty Guinness opening makes up for it.

Time since surgery:  19 1/2 months

B:  coffee, skinnytaste Irish soda bread muffin with a Laughing Cow wedge and a string cheese

S:  nada

L:  Buffalo chicken salad on 34 Degree rosemary crackers and another string cheese

D:  Corned beef and cabbage, suckas!

TOTALS:  Cals:  873  Protein:  81  Carbs:  51  Fat:  39

GinaTx
on 3/17/16 5:18 am

Morning Y'all.  What a great story.  You started by day off right by sharing that.  Yes I am wearing green. I'm not Irish but I love to wear things to represent the holiday.  My sister made me a scrub top and it's black background with green shamrocks and gold glitter.  Needless to say I am dropping glitter everywhere.  I won't be able to hide today.  I am leaving a trail. lol. 

B-Premier Protein

S-Banana

L-We are having our quarterly birthday party at work today so who knows what I will eat.  But will do my best to make it protein forward.

S-depending on what I have for lunch.  If I'm bad will skip it

D-Maybe seafood.  They are opening a new Costco in the next town over and I bought a membership and they are having an open house tonight so I want to go.  Never been to a Costco. 

NYMom222
on 3/17/16 7:58 am
RNY on 07/23/14

OMG love Costco. Love their return it anytime policy and 90 days on electronics

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Pokemom
on 3/17/16 8:20 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Costco!  There is some fun stuff there, and I agree with NYMom about the return policy.  But beware!  We used to call it "The 100-dollar store."  Now we call it "The 200-dollar store."  You just can't seem to get out of there without spending, even when you are just buying groceries.

G2GAWAY
on 3/17/16 10:51 am
RNY on 05/16/15

Costco sells premier protein and you can also order it online and have it shipped to your house for free.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Sarafer
on 3/17/16 5:25 am, edited 3/16/16 11:14 pm
RNY on 01/14/16

That's very cool! Yes, I'll be wearing green today. I'm a quarter Irish, but also, if I don't wear green then every one of my patients will comment on the fact that I'm not wearing green and I'm too tired for that today. Plus, I don't want to give them any extra reason to try and pinch me :)

9 weeks out (and down 45 pounds this morning!)

B: Candy cane shake

S: carb master yogurt

L: smoked Gouda and turkey

S: beef jerky

D:? 

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

Grim_Traveller
on 3/17/16 5:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Mornin' AV. I love the traffic light story. 

When I was in grad school, I was in Allston and Brighton a lot, on the fringe of Boston. Supposedly, there were more Irish born folks living there than there were in Dublin, but I don't know if it was true. Anyway, someone had painted over all of the yellow traffic lines in the area orange and green, the colors on the Irish flag.

It's ok if you didn't wear green today. But you should have put a dab of Guinness behind both ears. People would know you were Irish.

Corned beef is horrible, I'm sorry. And cabbage is execrable.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

heather1963
on 3/17/16 7:03 am

I agree with the cooked cabbage (vile) but am all about corned beef. The beer? Not so much.

cheapskate
on 3/17/16 5:34 am
RNY on 03/30/15

QOTD: its early for me, but I will be. Not because I care, but I have personal space issues and if someone pinches me I will throat punch them!

Starting tomorrow I am going to posting what I ate the day before. I was trying to be more official and put on the list what I ate that day, but it just isnt working out. By them time my day is starting most of your days are ending. I wanna participate...WAAAAAAA!!!!

Thanks AV, now i am going to be the drunkard at Trader Joe's buying Guiness at 8 am. I have corned beef and cabbage for the crockpot but wasnt sure how I was going to cook it...now I do.

AngryViking
on 3/17/16 5:44 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I bet you won't be the only one buying beer this morning!  I also add the seasoning packet and a little bit of brown sugar.  Maybe 1/4 cup?  Soooo good.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?