Will I hurt my new stomach if I move on to soft foods too fast?

canadianmommyof2
on 3/2/16 7:18 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks white dove fir responding. I totally understand what you're you're trying to say. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 9:15 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, White Dove!  I definitely want to be an "A" student!

RNY0615
on 3/3/16 7:23 am

I hadn't checked the boards since I posted that and didn't realize it got so many comments/questions in response. Thanks for responding here, Whitedove, and so succinctly, too! I couldn't have come up with a better comparison! That's absolutely right! I'm not a vet by any stretch, but I'm pretty intelligent and have a fair amount of common sense. With all of the research we do, once you understand WHY this surgery works, how it works, and how to best support it to get where you want to be, there are things that just make sense. Limiting carbs and completely cutting out simple carbs is one of those things. 

It's not that you can't be successful if you eat them (in moderation!) especially early out, it's just not a good practice. I am using my honeymoon phase to actually form new habits and re-teach myself what food is for and which foods are appropriate and necessary for me to function safely and comfortably through my time left in this world. I'm no longer trying to eat what tastes good, or what I want or like. Food is just fuel for my body now, and simple carbs don't do anything for this body of mine (or anyone else's). 

To piggy-back off of the example above, if you are happy drifting through at a C average, in this case, with WLS and simple carbs, it will likely lead to weight gain later on down the road. 

As for your surgeon and NUT, not only are they only typically expecting 50-60% loss for "success," but your surgeon is more concerned with the health of your sensitive, new pouch. cream of wheat and the like are very gentle on your pouch. Foods like this are soft and mushy and bland. As others said, early out, when you'll pretty much lose weight no matter what, I suppose it's harmless physically, but it's not doing you any favors with teaching yourself how to eat properly. I ate cottage cheese, light Greek yogurt (lots of this!) and protein shakes until I was healed enough to eat meat. 

I don't mean to be negative or wag a finger at anyone. Just trying to be helpful if my posts can help even just one person. If you feel it doesn't apply to you or that your body somehow processes sugars differently than others, just scroll on by. 

iloveravens
on 3/2/16 12:27 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

You are only 12 days out.  I, like most of us, was on a liquid diet for at least 2 weeks.  I was afraid to even eat the tiny bits of fruit in yogurt at even a month out.  You could definitely be hurting your stomach.  Be careful.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 12:36 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, Lanie!  You and everyone else have convinced me to be very meticulous about following my doctor's advice.  Thank you for your reply!

MassHockey
on 3/2/16 4:33 pm

Lol....I remember picking put the 3 blueberries that exist in a Chobani greek yogurt cuz I was sure they would kill me.  I'm a rule follower if nothing else.

aesposito
on 3/2/16 5:20 pm, edited 3/2/16 9:31 am

I want to cry when I hear of people eating Cream of Wheat, Grits, mashed potatoes and peppers so soon after surgery.  Yes, you will lose weight on them.  In the malabsorption stage you will lose weight on anything, including cake and booze.  When that stage ends (1-2 years down the road), you will regret wasting your valuable weight-loss time on those things. 

Proteins and healthy fats first.  A bit of low-carb dairy (cheeses, sour cream, butter, etc) if you have the room.  Then low carb veggies.  After a few months, toss in some berries and nuts.  A few years down the road, introduce some carefully planned treats.  But remember that sugar is sugar, whether it comes from a box, a fruit or a cup of milk. 

Those are the secrets to losing AND maintaining that loss.

I am not a carb nazi.  I understand the urge for a french fry.  But I am also a successful patient (not to mention a healthcare provider).  And I see what people say time after time as they return to these boards after a few years, complaining that carb-creep has caused them to gain some or all of it back.  For every lucky one person who says "I lost all the weight just fine following my doctor's orders of eating oatmeal, mac and cheese, etc", 10 more come back disappointed wondering if their pouch has stretched or if they can get a revision. 

Do you want to play those odds based on what a doctor with clearly no knowledge of ASMBS guidelines tells you?  Because I don't.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 5:33 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, Audrey!

Amy R.
on 3/2/16 5:25 pm

Your question is one for your surgeon, not for a group of strangers on a message board. 

I'm not trying to be mean, but we don't know you and we certainly aren't familiar with your medical history.  Sometimes it seems like every surgeon has a different plan but that is their prerogative and I can assure  you they give you the guidelines that have had the best results in their professional experience.

In general, deviating from your prescribed eating plan is never a good idea.

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 5:35 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, Amy!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?