Will I hurt my new stomach if I move on to soft foods too fast?

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 12:33 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thank you very much, RNY0615, excellent advice!  My dietician listed Cream of Wheat and Grits on the list of things I could eat, so I apologize for being confused about those.  I will try to be more diligent about sticking to my doctor's plan and my own meal plans.  I do NOT want to fail at this!  Thanks for your input!

RNY0615
on 3/2/16 12:38 pm

You are not the first person I've seen whose surgeon/NUT includes these in the list of stuff that is ok. It's always surprising to me, though! Keep coming here, read as much as you can on here as often as you can. This is my support group and holds me accountable. 

Also, as odd as it sounds, I honestly believe the vets and past topics in here are a better source of information than my surgeon himself! People here have tried everything, seen everything, heard everything. This is a great resource for us! 

one serving of cream of wheat has 28g carbs. that's more than is recommended for an entire day for me. I'm still in the loss phase, so I'm still trying to keep my carbs under 25/day. It has served me well in my first 8 months! Good luck to you, stick around :) 

peachpie
on 3/2/16 4:22 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I disagree, I eat cream of wheat from time to time. I plan it into my day accordingly. Hasn't interrupted loss. 

I know my NUT had cream of wheat as  an option early out, but definitely discouraged regular long term use of Simple carbs.

I love  the boards too, but I think some of the militant attitudes towards carbs aren't always necessary. But each person knows there body best and what does and doesn't work for them.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 5:28 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, PeachPie!  :)

kyzze
on 3/3/16 9:14 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I agree with you Peachpie!

sheriberi29
on 3/2/16 7:39 pm - Cleveland, TN

Yikes ... What types of proteins and lower carb foods do you recommend for the beginning phases please . 

Mum trying to make lists, food plans ect for my hope to be soon  revision from band . 

Thanks 

G2GAWAY
on 3/2/16 8:50 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Although those items were on my list during the soft foods stage, you shouldn't continue eating them as you move through the stages. Once you are further along, your focus should be on protein, protein, protein.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Kakesie
on 3/2/16 9:13 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Thanks, Cory!

canadianmommyof2
on 3/2/16 4:26 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi RNY 0615, 

You mention not to eat Cream of Wheat it is simple carbs. On Toronto at Toronto western hospital,  the binder we were given says we could have cream of Wheat in the liquid stage. Why is the hospital saying could have it but it hinders weight loss?  I don't want to eat it if it's going to allow my weight loss.

Confused,  please help. 

Thanks, 

Jen

White Dove
on 3/2/16 6:56 pm - Warren, OH

The difference between what the vets on this board will tell you and what you will hear from your surgeon and nutritionist is this:

The medical team's idea of successful surgery is if you lose 50-60% of your excess weight.

The vets on this board want to lose 100% of the excess weight and tell others how to do that. 

So we become calorie-Nazis, scale-Nazis, carb-Nazis because we want that full weight loss success.  It is like whether you are happy drifting through school with a C average or want to make the effort for an A average.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 166 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views