Traveling

Whoogirl
on 2/29/16 7:37 pm
RNY on 02/02/16

Hello, I am fairly new to this but looking for sage advice from people who may have been thru this or recommendations. How soon after surgery did you travel on vacation? Was it out of the country or just in the US? Did you have any complications or any struggles while traveling?

Thanks for your input.

G2GAWAY
on 2/29/16 10:47 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I travel a lot (small trips, big trips)...hence my User name of G2GAWAY (got to go away).  When I looked at my calendar to schedule the surgery, there was never going to be a perfect time, so I just found the earliest possible surgery date and did it last May. I had a weekend trip to Santa Barbara scheduled the week before my surgery when I was on liquids, with one meal a day.  I packed all of my protein mix, shaker bottles, and ate the one meal I was allowed (Wendy's chili or a low cal TV dinner-there were a couple of other choices, but this is what I opted for).  3 weeks after my surgery, my daughter graduated from college, back out of town, celebration dinners, family, and a move to Northern Cal for her.  Again, I packed my supplies and stuck with the plan.  I have been out of the country (recently in Thailand for 2 weeks).  That was not my kind of food, but also made it work.  I also went to Loreto, Mexico to an all inclusive resort for a week in November and just had them make special things for me.  It was all buffets and I didn't want it, so they would prepare a nice piece of fish or steak for me.

Not sure where you are in the process, but here are my survival tips.  Carry beef jerky (or turkey jerky) with you at all times.  This is a life saver if you are hungry and need quick protein until you can get to something appropriate.  I went to a play with a friend a couple of weeks ago and we normally arrive with time to eat dinner; however, it was raining so we barely made it. Thank goodness I had jerky in my purse because otherwise I would have been tempted to eat the muffins or candy, which was all they sold.  I took jerky and protein bars to Thailand and used the bars occasionally as everything was pretty carb heavy there for me.  Find a store and buy your favorite protein drink or pack protein powder and a mixer bottle. I also relied on Oikos Greek Yogurt (Triple Zero) as it has 15 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar (Triple Berry-not sure about the others) and P3 cheese and meat from the grocery store.  When you are eating out while travelling, don't look at the menu. Seriously, don't look at it.  I just ask the server for what I want.  I had to go to an italian restaurant for a party and knew that the menu would be bad news, but they always have shrimp or scallops, so I just told them I needed a side of scallops and that's what they brought me. If you go with someone that can share with you, just eat something of what they order.  I do that with my daughters often (hubby usually eats things that I don't like, but sometimes he will order steak and shrimp and I have a little of his).

I am 9 months out now, so obviously I can eat more than I could early on. Early on, I would order a salad, tostada, or something like that and just eat the protein off the top and maybe a little lettuce. I also order kids meals sometimes and only one time had someone challenge me on it, and even though I have a card from my doctor, I've never had to show it.  I did get the kids meal at the restaurant where it was initially challenged.

But really, just ask for what you need to be successful. People will work with you and you can be successful wherever you are. This is a lifestyle forever.

Oh yeah, and drink water...keep your fluids up.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

G2GAWAY
on 2/29/16 10:48 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Just noticed your surgery date was earlier this month.  You should be fine depending on how your doctor's phases are.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

kim_pei
on 2/29/16 11:15 pm - Canada

Cory was right!....Ask for what you want.  I am flying across the country in a couple of months and mailed a little package to myself of Jerky, protein powder and shaker.  That way I dont need to carry them.  All the best!

Kim

iloveravens
on 3/1/16 10:03 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I was in Aruba at 5 weeks post op.  I was in Boston 2 weeks later.  I bring a large, empty water bottle which I fill at airports.  Random things I keep in my carry-on: Jerky, Quest bars, moon cheese (airport Starbucks carry these), greek yogurt you can get at airports, nuts (sparingly).  In the early months, I made sure to get to a supermarket for sugar free pops and gallons of water.  If your hotel room doesn't have a freezer, the hotel lobby will keep your pops frozen for you if you're nice :-)  Good luck.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Whoogirl
on 3/1/16 4:59 pm
RNY on 02/02/16

Thank you for the words of advice and all the helpful hints. Many things I didn't think about. I take it you also packed all of your vitamins?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?