What's On Your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

Deanna798
on 2/9/16 7:40 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'll be strong for you.  today I am promising to stick to my plan!  No one brought any junk today, everyone here at work is sick and sticking to their own departments to not spread the virus around too much.  

I have no junk with me, and I refuse to eat anything.  I'm giving up carbs for lent!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

melissasue1982
on 2/9/16 8:06 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I wish I could give up mindless eating for lent! 

I REALLY need to find a local therapist (or the like) who specialized in disordered eating or weight loss surgery patients....the psychiatrist I used for before surgery wasn't much help in the eating department.  I really find myself needing extra support, and then I feel like WHY BOTHER, how can they help me not mindlessly eat, or with my boredom eating....I mean COME ON.......with all the diets I have been on through the years, I know what I should do, I just have trouble doing it...obviously! 

I sent a message to my Zumba instructor, who I think works at the local hospital and pretty sure might know someone.  If that falls through I am going to call my PCP's office and see if they have any suggestions. 

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

Deanna798
on 2/9/16 8:54 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm going to look into OA online meetings. I'll let you know how it goes.  I have some literature I need to start reading as well. Lord know struggling on my own,  even with a therapist is not working. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

melissasue1982
on 2/9/16 8:58 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I keep thinking I should do that same, but keep using the "excuse" that with working full time, 4 kids, and hubby working LONG hours, I don't have much time for meetings etc.  ugh  we time when I don't have the kids with me anyway.

stacyrg
on 2/9/16 9:30 am
VSG on 05/12/14

the therapist I'm seeing has worked with patients with disordered eating, but I'm her first WLS patient.  I would really try to find someone who is familiar with the ins and outs of WLS.  I was complaining to my therapist that I'm suffering a bit of burn out with the food tracking, etc. (I still do it, it's just that for the first time in 2 years it feels like a chore).  She's concerned that I'm developing a bit of OCD and or depression and wants me to see a psychiatrist.  I told her the food tracking isn't so much as OCD as strategies for staying on track and being successful at WLS.  I gave her my surgeon's cell phone number and asked her to please talk to him so she can become better informed with his plan and recipe for success.  Hoping she does.  Anyway, just my 2 cents.  I think someone with an understanding of the ins and outs of WLS would be tremendously helpful

melissasue1982
on 2/9/16 10:05 am
RNY on 04/06/15

Well I just googled my Zumba instructor (who I knew worked with the local hospital ...somehow) and she actually works along side the local bariatric group (who I didn't go through, but that is promising)

hteadtbear
on 2/9/16 9:57 am
RNY on 09/01/15

Im very grateful that the OWLS (my surgeons office) has the Psychiatrists as well.  There are 2 in the group so its pretty rounded.  Very very helpful.

Good luck finding one.

melissasue1982
on 2/9/16 10:04 am
RNY on 04/06/15

Yeah my surgeon's office has the Nurse practitioner and a registered dietitian, but not a Psychiatrist.  Damn

AnnyBananny
on 2/9/16 11:36 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Melissa, I'm so right there with about the therapist or someone to provide some outside support on working on my food issues because I am SUCH an emotional eater. In the beginning it was easy for me to use shear will power, but as I get further out, the harder it gets - and I know LIFE isn't going to get easier, so I need to get better at coping.

My program was no help, particularly because they're in the city and all their recommendations were not close by. But my primary care doctor recommend cognitive behavior therapy. When I had my first appointment with the person she recommended, that therapist recommended I try to find someone specific who has experience with WLS and I definitely think that's key. The therapy OFFICE I've ended up with does work with one of the local bariatric programs, but this particular therapist that I'm trying hasn't - and I really think I'm going to switch. She's perfectly nice, but doesn't get it (also she's tiny and blonde and has an annoying voice...)!

But anyway, the point is - I do think trying to connect with someone who specifically works in the area of disordered eating with WLS patients would be beneficial - AND way to go for recognizing you need some extra support!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

melissasue1982
on 2/9/16 1:48 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

I had my surgery at a bigger hospital over an hour away, so they have names of people that are way to far away from me.  I am glad I had my surgery with them, but they are not help with this.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 154 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?