Preventing Hair Loss

NYMom222
on 2/5/16 2:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I did not lose any hair, as a matter of fact the opposite happened, my hair looks better that it did for a long time... I don't know if it is all the protein or what...but my hair is better.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tracy G.
on 2/5/16 10:49 pm - Elkridge, MD
Revision on 04/04/13

From what I know almost everyone goes through a stage where they have hair loss.  Its a temp. thing though.  I have terribly thick hair and at the time it was long.  So I noticed it a LOT but of course my hair could stand to loose a few pounds, like the rest of me.  It doesn't start right away.  I think usually its after about 3 months in.  I know there are treatments, shampoo and such to help.  Some people start taking Biotin or something similar before surgery.  I don't know if it works or not.  I still have times when I lose more hair than usual and I don't know if that is connected to a poor diet, a natural thing or surgery related.  Talk to someone at a salon on what they say works.  I just rode it out and my hair is back.  I actually cut it really short because I got tired of putting it up and now that its past my shoulders again I wan to cut it all off!  Maybe look for some scarves or hats to wear if you think its going to be a problem.  Though usually you are the only one that will notice.

AKD40
on 2/6/16 7:24 pm

I am 4 months post op and I am losing quite a bit of hair but the only one that has notice is me. I am using the Nioxin system for thinning hair, I take biotin 2 times a day along with Opti Source post bariatric vitamins. I also use thickening cream and thickening spray when I style my hair. 

poet_kelly
on 2/6/16 11:04 pm - OH

Make sure you take eight Optisource, not four like it says on the bottle, so that you get the amount of vitamins and minerals recommended by the ASMBS.  You'll also need B12 in a sublingual, nasal spray, or injection.  B12 deficiency can cause hair loss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AKD40
on 2/8/16 7:04 pm

I didn't know that about opti source I will up my vitamins! I take a b12 injection once a month. Thanks for the info! 

handtlkr
on 2/7/16 9:12 am - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm 7 1/2 weeks out from my VSG.  I was concerned about the hair loss as well because my hair has been thin and stringy looking for a long time. But now, my hair is actually looking thicker and healthier than it has in 30 years.  I've been staying on top of my vitamins and protein shakes.  I really think its the protein shakes that are making my hair fuller and healthier.

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

sweetpotato1959
on 2/8/16 9:24 pm

Yes, it can be minimized by adding zinc..as an across the counter to daily vitamins.. Zinc is a natural mineral, and is stored by your body, with the many diet and intestinal  changes, it is often overlooked.

It is most easily absorbed when used as a losenge and is available as cold eze in the cold tablets section..and comes in a cherry flavored one....if it tastes really nasty , yours is high enough, but when I start to shed extra hair, I will use one to stop the loss.  If I have heavy hair loss, I use two a week.  some weeks I don't need..or may only use half a losenge.

Denise
LookinToLose2016
on 2/10/16 6:29 am
RNY on 02/18/16

Thank you so much for the info.  I will definitely try that!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 432 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 161 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?