Eating out post op

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/16 3:56 pm - PA

I am finally scheduled for surgery 2/29/16 and I can't wait. I am reading and reviewing and trying to figure out what to stock up on for my immediate post op diet. I do travel for work and often take clients out for dinner. Does anyone have experience with eating out soon after surgery? I expect I will be back to work 4 weeks out and will probably be on the road shortly after.

cajunlady1958
on 1/23/16 6:50 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I would stick with thin soups but check with your doctor.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

MickeyDee
on 1/23/16 8:04 pm

French Onion soup--very sophisticated and easy on our pouches!

Appetizers are also a good alternative.  Try to keep away from fried cheeses.

G2GAWAY
on 1/23/16 10:02 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I ate out frequently after surgery (and still do).  I primarily stuck with shrimp and/or scallops.  I opted not to look at the menu when I arrived, and instead asked for what I wanted to see if they could do it.  I simply ask for a side of shrimp or scallops without all of the side dishes.  I'm not sure where you live, but BJ's will give you a side of shrimp for about $5.  I had to go to an italian restaurant which is difficult, but they usually have seafood, so I just asked for a side of scallops. Scrambled eggs are also a good choice.  I also always carry a a protein bar with me (good tip is to keep it in an eyeglasses case to keep it in tact in your purse) and beef (or turkey) jerky.  Ordering a kids meal is a good choice too.  You can do it, just ask for what you want. My surgeon gave me a card that you can show to a restaurant to get smaller portions or kids meals, but I never needed to use it. 

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Eggface
on 1/24/16 11:23 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Taking clients out will be hard... might avoid that if possible for a bit... at least several months... here's why.... eating on the fly, eating while talking, eating without concentrating on chewing = potential pain, praying to the porcelain Gods... and I dare say vomiting on a client (ala George Bush Sr. in Japan) would not be good for business ;) 

But after that... you will find ways to adapt... just not in the beginning. Softer proteins fish and veggies are pretty easy... soups... though people often take cues from the host as to ordering and if you just get soup... it might be uncomfortable for your guest to order a typical size meal. 

New life = new habits... maybe earlier coffee meetings?

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?