Did you tell your co-workers and friends you had surgery?

AngryViking
on 12/17/15 4:58 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I didn't necessarily stand on my desk and announce it, but I think everyone knows.  I've talked about it with a few people and those people like to share information, so... 

moe4572
on 12/17/15 6:01 am
with

I work in a very small office-3 FT girls, one PT and I discussed it with the girls as I was thinking about it, so they were in on if from the beginning. I have been very open about it, though I did not blast it on FB like some do.....not a big FB person I guess. They guys that work here (about 35 of them--most of them know, but don't say much--might just ask a question, or ask how I am feeling, or that I am "looking good"). I did not tell they guys, but I think when I was out for 1.5 weeks, they asked and not sure how the girls told them....but I never told them not to tell so was all good!.

As for time off.....I had surgery Monday and had the rest of that week off, then the following Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the second week I worked 3 hours and did that an additional week, then slowly worked more hours, and now 3 weeks post op I just started back full time. I anticipated going back after 1 week, but no way was I ready, and the surgery was the "easy" part for me, but figuring out how to get all fluids/proteins in was my challenge!

Good luck to you!

lking
on 12/17/15 6:40 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

My office, my friends and my family all knew of my plan, and ultimate surgery, from the very beginning.  Everyone has been 100% supportive.  They were all going to notice my weight loss so by telling them probably kept them from thinking that I was battling a very serious illness.  Also, by telling them it helps to hold me accountable.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

JA
on 12/17/15 6:43 am - East Haven, CT

Hi

I had my WLS in 2004 and opted to only tell 2 people I worked with.  I still don't share with folks at my current job.  Work is work and personal is personal.  Most folks are judgmental about WLS, so I feel it's none of their business. My close friends and all of my family know. I will tell a stranger I meet if the subject comes up.  I think this is a personal decision.

I have kept my weight off and some times I will share with people that I lost 100 lbs.  When they inquire, I say diet and exercise because that is how it happened, with the help of my tool :)

As far as time off from work, I was in the hospital for 3 days, but felt great when I got home.  Biggest obstacle was learning to eat (or not eat), so I used the time off to get used to that.  I took two weeks off.

Good luck.

JA

RNY0615
on 12/17/15 8:57 am

This is EXACTLY how i dealt with it and how I feel about it. Some on here seem to think that it's immoral or LYING not to tell people, but I don't see it that way. It's my body, and it was a medical decision that I made. I don't want their judgments or opinions or comments about MY PERSONAL DECISIONS about MY body, so it's none of their business. I don't think it's deceitful in the least. 

I've gone from a size 26 to a 12 in less than 9 months and of course they notice the loss and compliment me, but hardly anyone asks how I'm doing it, and those that do are satisfied with the good ol' "high protein, low carb" answer. It may help that I actually DID lose this same amount of weight in 2010 without WLS and they all knew me then, too. I guess they just know it's possible and I'm capable when driven. 

I think it's disrespectful of people to ask about it. No one has outright asked me if I had it, but I see on here where people get asked. I think maybe it's the way I carry myself. I'm a very assertive, no-nonsense kind of person and I'm not one that talks about my personal life with very many people in general. I don't stand around the water cooler gossiping or chatting, so the types that might be inclined to ask about it know that i'm not the chatty type. 

I don't ask people how many abortions they've had or what their cholesterol is looking like, or if they plan on getting fixed since they just had their 7th unplanned child. Those are personal medical issues that don't need to be brought out into the open. I feel the same way about WLS. I understand that not everyone does, but to each their own, I suppose. 

I went back to work 3 weeks later, but was off during that time anyway, I did not have to take any leave time. 

JA
on 12/17/15 10:35 am - East Haven, CT

All personal choice.  You're not lying if you chose not to share personal information with someone...that's why it's personal.

I love your part about asking about unplanned kids etc.  that's the truth! LOL

JA

G2GAWAY
on 12/17/15 8:22 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I agree with everything you have said. I have stuck to the high protein, low carb answer with a focus on low fat, low sugar.  Also, when they ask how much I have lost (a few have), I used to say, but now I just say "a lot, with more to go."  The number kind of leads to more questions (102 pounds in 7 months).  

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/17/15 7:21 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I told no one, at first, not even my mother. The way I saw it was that it's my problem & I'll deal with it. I didn't want to hear anyones' opinion about this or that etc, etc. I work a rotating shift & worked my surgery to coincide with my regular days off & then called in sick for a couple of days after.

When I got back, a couple of my co workers whom I'm close with & consider friends suspected something was up, especially since I hadn't called in sick in years, so I told them but asked to keep it to themselves. As the months went by & I got more comfortable I did tell anyone who asked that I got the surgery. I felt it was misleading to say oh it's diet & exercise & not mention the surgery, or say it was some other surgery or that I was under a Drs care, all were true, but if I was able to lose & keep off the weight on diet & exercise alone I would've done it by now.

I feel there's a lot of shaming going on when it comes to wls. Some think we're "cheating" or taking the easy way out,etc. I just tell them well the hard way wasn't doing it for me, but thanks for asking anyway. Oh by the way how did your penis enlargement surgery go? I know you must want to match those big balls you have by asking me about something that's none of your business. I haven't had to use that last line, everyone I know has been pretty supportive.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jenorama
on 12/17/15 7:38 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I didn't tell anyone other than close friends and family before surgery, but after I tell anyone that asks. I've given mini-seminars in the middle of Eddie Bauer. I am incredibly fortunate in that I don't work in an environment full of busybodies and I've yet to get a negative reaction to my face. 

It's completely up to you what you say, but people are pretty observant and you are going to get questions. 

Jen

Joemac9408
on 12/17/15 7:39 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I tell everyone when they bring up how good I look and how much weight I've lost.  I'm not ashamed of my surgery nor do I give a **** if anyone doesn't agree with it.  People will have their opinions regardless.  Personally I think it's pretty obvious, especially since I was 290 in January and now i'm 137.  It was also pretty obvious when I was eating 1/4 cup of pureed food and I was full for a few weeks after surgery.

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 166 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?