What to pack for the hospital?

Caligirl05
on 12/15/15 11:02 pm

Hi! My surgery is on Thursday. I read to bring bigger clothes as people tend to bloat after surgery. I'm planning on bringing an iPad and a book for entertainment and some slippers for walking the halls. Anything else you might suggest? Thanks! 

G2GAWAY
on 12/15/15 11:52 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Honestly, I packed an iPad and a book and didn't use either of them, but I suppose I would have been mad if I didn't have them and wanted them. I did have my cell phone which had plenty of entertainment for me.  I wore sweats with an elastic waist band to the surgery and used those to come home.  I also brought (put in the car that my daughter was using to drive me home) a pillow to use in the car on the way home (over my stomach).  That was worthwhile. I did wear slippers the day of surgery and to head home, but I can't remember if I used slippers or not for walking (again handy to have).  I am pretty sure I just used the socks with the rubber treads on them.  I was only there for 2 nights, so didn't use much while there. Between getting up to walk, having vitals checked, sleeping in between, and working on sipping (day 2), I didn't have much time to do anything else. I was originally supposed to stay 3 nights, but they thought I was doing so great they sent me home once I could shower on my own and had the catheter removed.  I was very worried about gas pains as I recalled them from my c-section years ago. Movement really seemed to help. Between walking the halls and then changing position in the bed (moving from side to side), it really seemed to help eliminate/prevent the gas pains.

You can always have someone bring you anything you might need once you are there and see how you feel. My surgery was 7 months ago and I only wish I had done this years ago.   Good luck on your journey. 

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/16/15 2:37 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

+++A friend gave me a stack of trashy magazines. 

+++phone

I did want chapstick - take an old tube of something.

I took old eyeglasses - I did not want to be upset if I lost anything.  (Sometimes things left on a tray get pitched by accident.)

You've got your aftercare plan in place - that was the most important!

Sharon

G2GAWAY
on 12/15/15 11:55 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

BTW I see that you were originally planning on the sleeve, but the doctor said RNY was the way to go.  I had thought I wanted the sleeve too, and the doctor assured me that although he performed many sleeve operations, the RNY was the best choice for me and my long-term success.  I  trusted him and am so glad I did. No regrets.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Emiepie
on 12/16/15 6:43 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Chapstick!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

lking
on 12/16/15 7:03 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

An extention cord to use for your electronics and/or your charger(s).

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

karin602
on 12/16/15 8:08 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I wore sweats to the hospital and other than change of understandings that's all I really needed. I brought my cell but couldn't use it no bars. Brought kindle but never even unpacked it. I was told to bring my cpap but never used it either. Walking, sleeping and the leak test kept me occupied but I only had one full night in the hospital. Early morning surgery and left next day early evening.did take a blue pad from hospital as the stuff from the leak test gave me some diarrhea.

Karin

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/16/15 9:45 am
WLS on 12/29/15

This is my opinion as a nurse...not a RNY patient (since I"m not having a RNY and I haven't even had my VSG yet!)

--If you choose to bring your eye glasses, cell phone or dentures, do NOT leave them in the bed, in the pocket of your gown or on your food tray. They will get lost in the laundry or dishes and never be found again (We've lost hundreds of them...)

--Bring an extra clean pair of undies and socks to go home with

--Bring slippers to walk in (or you can where the grippy socks they provide. I have sensitive feet and find my feet get sore after walking too much in the grippy socks...discovered this after my shoes were soaked in a rainstorm going into work and I had to wear grippy socks until they dried)

--bring power cord for your devices if you choose to bring them. Nurses are not inclined to share theirs with patients because of cross-contamination

--Pillow for ride home is an excellent idea but don't use it in the hospital. They will have pillows for you

--CPAP/BIPAP machine if you own one. You may not need it, but I often find patients prefer their own over the hospitals! (nose verse mask)

Nurses will provide everything else you need. Don't bring your medications unless you have some extremely rare expensive pill in which you should discuss with your physician if you can even take it.

If you're feeling exceptional, you can write a note of thank you to your nurses now. :) We love hearing from our patients and post your thank you notes in the break room for the hard days. 

And lastly, if anything doesn't feel "right"--speak up! Your nurse will be your greatest resource while you're there! Use your nurse while you have him/her!

:) CONGRATS on starting your journey!

Caligirl05
on 12/16/15 8:16 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I'm super stressed trying to get everything ready for leaving my kids for 3 days and remember everything to pack. I'm sure once it's all done, I will start to get very, very nervous. Or maybe just excited...hopefully it's the latter! I REALLY appreciate your advice! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 402 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?