To the working RNYs

Grim_Traveller
on 10/30/15 8:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The healing and recovery are the same for both surgeries. And the hair loss is from the anesthesia, so that's going to be the same also.

There are some good reasons for choosing one surgery over another. Gerd is a big reason. But recovery time and hair loss are just not different.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 11:11 pm

Thank you. I have been under a few times and never lost my hair so I am hoping and praying I won't this time either. I'm going to start taking biotin back week or 2 before surgery hopefully will help.

Lisa09
on 10/30/15 7:20 pm - NH

My surgeon recommended 4-6 weeks. I am a revision from band to RNY. I put in FMLA paperwork for 6 weeks, just to be sure. I'd rather go back,early if I'm up to it, instead of asking for more time off while I'm already out. Good luck.

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 11:13 pm

Thank you. I am curious how long did it take to get your first payday on FMLA? My friend was out for 5 weeks and it took her 3 weeks before she got paid. That scares me.

floweringgemini
on 10/30/15 8:17 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I run a household and I mean like cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. for a family I was at work 1 week later. Monday I left really early Tuesday I made it through but didnt really do much and by Wednesday I was out the rest of the week I am just 11 days out and I have got to go back this coming Monday but I am terrified. If I am at home and taking my time to do stuff and then nap I am good but I am terrified to have to start running all the errands and taking care of another family even at 2 weeks out. Im finally getting a handle on fluids (i think) and starting to feel better but by the early evening I am really out of energy. Good luck and listen to your body. If you have paid time and such I would take as much as possible. I do not have paid time or FMLA and my bosses are being real jerks about my "elective" surgery so take whatever you can.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 11:16 pm

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah I'm lucky my job offers FMLA. I did not tell many that I'm getting this done. I'm not sure when I do have it and then go back to work how to explain all the weight I lost. Anyone have had the same deal?

NYMom222
on 10/30/15 11:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc says in general people stay out 2 weeks. Some people take 4 weeks if they have the time, and he has sent some people back in one week if they wanted it and were doing well. I felt great after a week, but still tired in the afternoons for several weeks. I also think the eating part takes a little getting used to so if you can stay out a couple of weeks at least until you are passed purees that would be good.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 10/30/15 11:50 pm

6 weeks and I needed every minute of it.

Deb T.

Deanna798
on 10/31/15 5:13 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My surgeon says 4 weeks, but released me at 3 weeks when I asked at my 2 week follow up. I wish I had taken the extra week, but only because I got a cold the day I went back and that really dragged me down.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/31/15 8:14 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You may need to check in with your HR dept. The FMLA itself does not provide pay for your time off. It allows you to use any paid vacation or personal days then excess days are not paid, but your job is protected. Your employer may have a more generous policy, but that would be rare. You might mean Disability Insurance, not FMLA. which might pay wages, depending on your coverage.

Here are two web sites to get more information about FMLA.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm

The Family and Medical Leave Act

The Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA") provides certain employees with up to 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave a year, and requires group health benefits to be maintained during the leave as if employees continued to work instead of taking leave. This Compliance Guide summarizes the FMLA provisions and regulations1, and provides answers to the most frequently asked questions. More detail on the FMLA may be found in the regulations (29 CFR Part 825

http://www.fmla101.com/ask-the-fmla-experts/debunking-the-my th-is-fmla-paid-leave.html

The U.S. Department of Labor defines the FMLA as "unpaid, job-protected leave," and the purpose of the FMLA, specifically, is to protect the benefits and jobs of employees who are in cir****tances where time off from work is a necessity. Certain medical conditions involving the employees themselves or their family members, qualify as reasons for a necessary leave of absence. The FMLA does not necessarily protect the pay of the employee during this leave of absence, but employees can be paid during their FMLA absences in certain cir****tances.

Employees are given the option to choose if they want to take accrued paid leave to cover some or all of the FMLA leave that is taken. Sometimes, however, employers will require their employees to use the substitution of their accrued paid vacation or personal leave for any of the situations covered by the FMLA. Many employers choose to do this to minimize the time their employees spend away from the job.

Sharon

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 166 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 203 views