surgery in a few weeks ? RNY

Ohiodietguy
on 10/12/15 1:55 pm

Hello Everyone:

I am only a few weeks away from my surgery date for RNY. I weigh about 319 and bmi 43 or 44. I went through a six month waiting period. Then I was somewhat surprised when my surgery was scheduled so quickly. I have an upcoming first meeting with the surgeon. Now that surgery is closer I am having some 2nd thoughts (some days) . I worry about the complications dumping syndrome, strictures, etc. It would be great if you all could let me know if you are happy/glad with your RNY. I worry that at the 24 month I will start to regain the weight. I keep reading here and on the internet in other websites about all the people with RNY start to regain at 24 months? I am walking every day for 30 minutes, but I have not done well on the pre-op diet required by my program. So are you glad you had the surgery? Did you start the weight regain at 24 mos? Do you wish you did not have the surgery. I guess it seems like a lot to go through and a lot of money etc, to only regain the weight back. Does anyone know the statistics on weight regain for RNY and how many people actually keep the weight off.

Thanks in advance for your response!!

THANK YOU!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

rocky513
on 10/12/15 2:28 pm, edited 10/12/15 7:31 am - WI

I had RNY 5 years ago and, today, I am exactly 8 pounds heavier than my lowest weight. Last month I was at goal. I gain and lose the same 8 pounds. That's maintenance. RNY was the best decision I ever made. Not every RNY patient regains all of their weight back. I have changed my attitude where food is concerned. Food is just fuel. I find other ways to celebrate that are not food centered. I don't use food to cope any longer. I don't feel deprived... I feel liberated. Food no longer controls my every thought.

If you eat properly, you won't have to worry about dumping. Only 30% of RNY'ers dump. My advice to you is to eat like you are a dumper and don't test the waters to see if you dump. That is a slippery slope that many folks slide down. Once you know for sure that you don't dump, you will cave in to the sugar monster.

Strictures are an easy fix and not to be to worried about. They just go in and stretch the opening. It's an out-patient procedure. There are risks with any surgery. You need to weigh those risks, but also think where you will be if you DON'T have surgery.

If you don't change everything about the way you relate to food and you continue to eat like you did before surgery, you will gain weight. Any surgery can be eaten around and regain can happen. Surgery is not meant to do all the work required for you to lose weight. It won't force you to make good food choices. You have to wake up everyday and choose to follow the WLS program. You have to choose to eat right, not drink with meals, and measure your portions out and stop eating. You have to choose to get your body moving every day.

As a former obese person, I have a skewed view on what a proper portion looks like, so I measure my food and eat ONLY what I measure. I know that if I don't, I would over eat and gain weight. I do not eat bread, pasta, crackers, chips, cookies, cake, candy, rice, potatoes, or any other starchy, high carb foods.... EVER. I eat meat, veggies, and an occasional fruit. I don't drink my calories. Anything I drink has to be calorie free. I eat 6 very small (200 -300 calories) meals daily. That means I eat a little something every 3 or 4 hours. I don't allow myself to get hungry and I don't ever eat until I feel full. I NEVER drink with my meals. Drinking with meals is a huge reason people regain. Drinking with meals allows you to eat much larger portions, causing weight gain.

What concerns me is the fact that you say you have not done well with your pre-op diet. You MUST FOLLOW THE RULES if you want to be successful after WLS. The head stuff is the hardest part of the journey. Most of us have issues and we use food to sooth and comfort us. When that crutch is gone, you have to face those problems with out that coping mechanism. A therapist is a good idea to help you figure out why you allowed yourself to gain so much weight in the first place. Food demons are a ***** to wrangle, but so worth it.

You can do this! It's hard work and takes huge commitment, but you are worth the effort.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Ohiodietguy
on 10/12/15 4:55 pm

@rocky513 thanks so much for your encouraging words and wisdom I really appreciate it. It sounds like you have worked really hard to keep the weight off and it's inspiring to know that you have not regained the weight

thank you so much I appreciate it!!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/15 9:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Happy surgiversary Rocky!

More wonderful advice. I'm so very happy you are still around.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jazzycatz
on 10/13/15 2:01 pm - Joppa, MD

Congrats on the 5 years! And a great post as well. Solid advice.

peachpie
on 10/12/15 6:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Hi,

Our starting weights are similar,. I was 315 on surgery day, I'm down 80# at almost six months out.

I'm happy with my decision. Like most I was concerned about complications. I haven't had any. No reflux, ulcers strictures etc. I can tolerate food well. I don't dump, but fried/fatty foods give me an upset stomach so I don't do those. I haven't even had constipation issues, which apparently is very common post op.

I try not to worry about regain right now, I feel like it'll derail me from my focus during weight loss. This time is about building great habits and routines with my diet and exercise, if I've stay focused and true to what I establish, weight regain shouldn't be an issue.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Ohiodietguy
on 10/12/15 6:16 pm

@peachpie Thanks for your encouraging words!

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm glad to hear that you have not had any complications! Sounds like you have had rapid weight loss Thank you for taking the time to respond!

G2GAWAY
on 10/12/15 9:49 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I had my surgery nearly 5 months ago. I have not had any negative side effects to speak of. I haven't dumped, but I have followed the rules. I haven't eaten fried or high sugar foods, and have followed the stages as recommended by my doctor. The first couple of weeks were rough just because of lack of energy, recovering from anesthesia, and just in general, limited nutrition, and changing bowel habits. But that passes quickly. I took only one week off of work, worked from home week 2, and then returned to work, but came home and napped every night for a couple of weeks. It is completely worth it. I wish I had done it years ago. Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

selhard
on 10/13/15 5:12 am, edited 10/13/15 5:30 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My two biggest fears were serious complications like a bowel obstruction and any amount of regain; both have happened. The obstruction was fixed surgically. I was warned there would be "rebound weight" from my lowest; those ten pounds happened between 18-24 months. Still, I have no surgery regrets. Fear of further complications and more regain, motivation, and gratefulness help me be a daily support group follower and contributor. Yes, there are statistics on regain and it is on the high side. I ignored the statistics, don't remember the exact percentage, nor would repeat it if I did. Why?...because of my own statistic...I am 99.9% sure without WLS, I'd be 100% dead sooner than later.

yankeescl
on 10/13/15 7:28 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I am 25 months out and have not gained any weight back. It is hard to maintain, as you stop malabsorbing and hunger returns in full force. However, if you maintain a routine of logging all food, exercising, taking vitamins, attending support groups and keeping all surgeon visits while you are losing; you will more likely, keep that routine after you reach your goal.

I am so glad that I chose to have RNY. I am happier than I have ever been! I am free of all medications, and I'm so glad that I'm healthy. I can do so much more than I did at 282 pounds. I hike, run 5k's, bike, and speak on weight loss surgery. I have been on billboards and commercials for my surgeon's clinic. My self esteem has soared and so has my confidence.

Best of luck, enjoy your journey

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views