gaining weight after RNY surgery in 2012

Grim_Traveller
on 8/19/15 6:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Regardless of what else is or isn't going on, it is not medically possible to gain weight on that few calories.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 5:07 pm

I am sorry... but I am with the rest of the voices here - if you just can't be gaining on 500-600 cal a day. or even maintaining. the simply is no way. You may feel like that is how much you are eating... but simply there is no way. I cna eat like taht for 5-10 days and not lose anything..  but day after day long term- there is no way...

maybe yu eat in your sleep? some people on meds (ambien) do that... please get help...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 9:37 am

I develop IBS-C post op RNY.  Very strict diet - Low in FODMAP, low if carbohydrates, elimination grains really helps a lot.

Not drinking with meals, not getting any SA (sugar alcohols) even from SF gum eliminated a lot of gas and discomfort. 

Also - because of all of that - to make sure I have BM every day - i take Miralax daily...Ni more constipation...

drinking a lot of liquids in between meals allow the food to be moved along... 

proper diet - low in carbs, dense proteins, some veggies.. not only keeps my guts happy - but also keeps my weight in check. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MARIAME
on 8/19/15 12:48 pm

Thank you

if its not bother can you tell me for example what are you having for breakfast?  this seems to be the most difficult meal for me

i can do low carbs dense proteins grains veggies. i will try the miralax.  I hope they can fix my hiatal hernia it is extremely painful when it comes up thru my diaphram.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 1:56 pm

i... don't eat breakfast because I eat late night snack (typically nuts) to prevent low Blood sugars in a middle of the  night.

I drink coffee, tea, water... I start eating around 10- or noon. typically something light...maybe protein shake, or eggs, or.some home made food like waffles, cakes, etc. 

I don't eat grains. any grains.  They are no-no on low FODMAP list.  

I eat eggs, meat, fish, nuts, and some low FODMAP veggies. fruits - only sometimes and only berries.  maybe every 2 weeks or so? 

i eat nuts - almonds, brazil, macadamia, pecans... 

check this link for food to avoid and to eat...

my lunch can be chicken, or fish..(not breaded) with some avocado, pickles, cucumber, or other cooked veggies. 

Hard Boiled egg with mayo, plus a few slices of some veggies. 

I follow really low carb - higher fat fodmap free diet. 

grain free waffles: (I don't use honey)

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/sweet-potato -breakfast-skillet/)

Low FODMAP Meals and Snack Ideas

gluten free waffle with walnuts, blueberries, maple syrup without HFCS

eggs scrambled with spinach, bell peppers and cheddar cheese

fruit smoothie blended with lactose free vanilla yogurt and strawberries (½ cup)

zucchini  "pasta" with chicken, tomatoes, spinach topped with pesto sauce

chicken salad mixed with chicken, lettuce, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes,
balsamic vinegar salad dressing without HFCS

turkey wrap with gluten free tortilla, sliced turkey, lettuce, tomato, slice of cheddar
cheese slice, mayonnaise, mustard

ham and swiss cheese sandwich on gluten free bread, with mayonnaise, mustard

beef and vegetable stew (made with homemade broth, beef, allowed vegetables)

lynnc99
on 8/19/15 7:23 pm

I'm a little late to the conversation here, but I do have breakfast so I'll jump in (6 yrs out RNY).

I generally have a protein shake for breakfast. It's convenient and has worked for me for a long time - and front loads my protein for the day. Occasionally I will switch things up a little and have something more substantial, such as scrambled eggs (especially if we go out). Today I actually made a veggie stir fry for my breakfast (had this after drinking my shake). 

Could you share your daily breakdown of meals/snacks - what are you able to eat? 

It's true that with the years marching by, our metabolism changes due to hormonal shifts, but I know that I can maintain at about 1100-1200 calories and drop to 900 or so to lose. Less than that is like...nothing. 2-3 protein shakes made with water = close to 400 calories. Are you surviving on THAT litte?

Please share what you are eating - good, bad, ugly, little, or lots - and some of us here can dive in and give you some more meaningful input. 

Kathyjs
on 8/20/15 6:15 pm

I had hiatal surgery. I can't vomit but I have no more issues

Mary Gee
on 8/21/15 2:47 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Why not post your daily menu as others have requested -- it will give people the information they need to make suggestions.

Are you following your surgeon's plan - meeting all of your intake goals?  To lose weight, you have to follow your surgeon's plan....you can cut-and-paste your plan from myfitnesspal, or caloriecounter, or loseit, or whatever program you use to track your food.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Recent Topics