Fruit

miss_moneypenny
on 8/17/15 11:08 am

Just wondering if/when I can start incorporating fruit into my diet if ever.  I know it exceeds the grams of sugar I typically stay under for an individual item.  I would not be eating an excess, but an occasional apricot or few berries.  I see that alot of people add to protein shakes, so am curious if it is in it's natural form if ok or what your experiences have been.  I'm exactly one month out today.

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/15 12:27 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I've never been a big fruit eater, but I enjoy it more post-op than I did before, so I've started adding it in a couple times a week. It is a lot of sugar though, so just be sure to account for that and not overdo it. I wouldn't have added it to my diet at all if it were a trigger for me (like how I decided to exclude bread). Everyone's different. Remember too that your body doesn't care if sugar comes from fruit or Coke; it reacts the same way, so don't let anyone try to tell you the sugar in fruit is somehow better because it's "natural" sugar. It all becomes straight glucose very shortly after consumption.

Berries are actually a better bet sugar-wise than a lot of other fruits too...one of the parks I take my dog to has a bunch of wild blackberries, so I've turned into a bit of a forager for free snacks (only the ones above dog height though!)

seattledeb
on 8/17/15 5:30 pm

Careful there...those dogs can aim high!

chulbert
on 8/17/15 3:57 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

When?  Depends on your meal plan.  I eat fruit daily.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/15 4:13 pm - OH

Ever?  Of course.  Very early out? Absolutely not.

I don't know the details of how the body processes different types of sugars, but there IS a difference (just as carbs are treated somewhat differently).  MOST people find that reasonable amounts of natural fruit sugar does NOT cause a problem (even for those who dump), and that they can eat a far greater amount of sugar in fruit than in items with processed sugar without dumping. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cc583
on 8/17/15 4:23 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Just as 4furkids says berries are lower in carbs that also includes strawberries.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

seattledeb
on 8/17/15 5:38 pm

I didn't get fat on fruit. Post surgery I can eat a little.

The difference is you are one month into a year to year and a half of magical weight loss. This is the one time in the rest of your life that you have this opportunity. 

Fruit will be out there.  Wait a while. Learn how to eat protein forward.This time its about protein protein protein.  Oh and a few other things. It's quite a ride.

Have fun

DebT

lynnc99
on 8/17/15 10:32 pm

At 6 years out, I do eat fruit but have learned the hard way to limit it to about twice a week. 

People add all sorts of things to shakes. If you add a little PB2, a little banana, a little flax seed, a little of this and a little of that....you may end up with a delicious shake but you've jacked the calorie count up significantly. Be very aware, and very cautious. Yes, berries are the best choice if and when you do eat fruit. 

You're in the honeycomb phase and take FULL advantage of it!

aesposito
on 8/18/15 4:28 am

I didn't eat fruit at all the first year or two, other than occasionally putting a single, sad chunk of pineapple on my cottage cheese.  Four years later, I maybe have it once a week (a handful of grapes, a piece of watermelon, etc).

I am not anti-fruit, it's just that I only have so may calories and carbs to eat in a day, and there are other ways to get vitamin C and fiber that don't involve so much sugar.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

mute
on 8/18/15 7:38 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm just about 5 months out right now and just started eating a little bit of fruit. I've been grabbing a handful - like 4 - strawberries when I'm hungry the last few days and I know that supper won't be ready for another 2 hours. I had a peach last week. Neither made me sick. I don't plan on eating a ton of any fruit but I've always loved fruit and I've missed it in my diet. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics