Thyroid...TSH number...And foods that will help...

cabin111
on 8/16/15 10:05 pm

So I was talking to a friend (yeah, I know it's dangerous).  He was saying on the TSH number, if you above 2.0 there is a concern.  When I read my Quest Lab report, 2.0 is in normal range...I'm 2.25.  I know many of you are dealing with thyroid issues...very common in the general public and with WLS.  I'm looking on websites for natural ways to drop that level below 2.0...So are there any foods or vitamins that will help to get my TSH number lower?  Just throwing it out there.  Don't know what is quackery and what is legit...Brian

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/15 3:58 am

TSH is not as important as you T4, T3 and reverse T3.. (rT3). 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cabin111
on 8/17/15 10:43 am

The problem is (not really a problem)...My physician won't request those tests since I am in normal range.  Still looking for foods that may help....

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/15 11:02 am

why do you think 2.2 is a problem? are you tired? feel off? cold? 

Avoiding foods that can bind to iodine. - google foor bad or good for hypothyroid... (i.e. soy, raw cabbage, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, etc,)  Food great to supply minerals and vitamins... 

there are a few that are important.. 

• brazil nuts for selenium (need no more than 4-6 per day)
  • sal****er fish - hopefully wild caught - 2-3 times aday
  • seaweed - i.e. seaweed salad.. or use kelp (good quaility_) pills.. for iodine.
  • tyrosine rich foods - includes proteins, fish, etc or take supplements. 

as we age thyroid gets lower.. 2.2 TSH is good number - as long as T4, T3, and rT3 are in range..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/15 1:48 pm - OH

As Hala said, TSH changes a bit naturally with age, so as long as your other numbers are ok, the 2.25 probably isn't an issue.

As far as the foods, I can tell you what the endocrinologist told me when I had Graves Disease (which is out of control hyperthyroidism). Foods that are high in iodine stimulate the thyroid (shrimp, salmon, spinach, asparagus are the ones I remember... I'm sure a Google search would provide a much longer list), so you would want to eat those (whereas I was prohibited from eating them). He provided a printed pamphlet on it, so I feel reasonably sure the info was accurate.

The only other thing I know is that it is one of the alleged benefits of using coconut oil rather than olive oil, etc. -- although right now coconut oil has been billed as doing everything except curing cancer, and I fully expect that as more studies are done, many of the alleged benefits will be disproven.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics