Surgery done 8/11

Maggielynn37
on 8/16/15 6:24 am - IN

Just had my RNY last Tuesday and I'd say for the most part I'm doing well but I do have occassional pain and tightness in my stomach, a pain I would compare to gas pain.  I haven't had a bowel movement or passed any gas since the morning of my surgery.  Is this really gas or am I just experiencing the "normal" tenderness I would have from surgery.  Is taking Gasx an option? Any suggestions would help.  I have been getting plenty of walking in and my water intake is good. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/16/15 6:53 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Hello and congratulations on your RNY -- it sounds like you are recovering well.

I can tell you my experience and what I was permitted, but if you have real concerns, you should not hesitate to call your doctor/surgeon's office and get some feedback.

IN my experience, I was pretty sore and tight in my stomach area.  Looking back, I am sure there was swelling and water retention combined with gas pains.  I was moving gas by your point -- and I believe I had had a bowel movement.  It is not uncommon to be constipated after surgery -- both anesthesia and pain medications cause terrible constipation -- combined with how little you are ingesting -- that is very normal.  However, you DO want to stay ahead of it -- I would definitely ask your dr if you can take some MoM or Colace to help move things a long.  I was permitted to use GasX strips for gas pains, but truthfully, I didn't find them helpful.

My best advice is to keep walking and drinking.  

HTH!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Maggielynn37
on 8/16/15 7:16 am - IN

Thank you!! Can use all the advise I can get! 

rocky513
on 8/16/15 7:06 am - WI

Walking is the best remedy for the gas.  I also found that a heating pad on my stomach helped with the pain and the gas. GasX is for gas that builds up from foods you eat.  The gas you are are experiencing is from the gas they pump into you during surgery (especially if you had a lap procedure).  Just keep walking and don't let the constipation get out of control.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Maggielynn37
on 8/16/15 7:17 am - IN

Thanks so much!  I appreciate your suggestion. 

Bonroxie19
on 8/16/15 9:48 am

hi there,

you are almost a week out so you should have a BM (bowel movement soon)  of my six month journey that 1st bm was the only bad day i had.  please make sure you are taking something now to help all that along. my surgeon did not pre warn me how painful it would be.  you should look up constipapation in the search so you can be prepared.  not trying to scare you just want to prepare you.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Most Active
Recent Topics