Ketosis questions x-post

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 3:04 pm - Canada

Hello everyone. I was wondering how everyone feels about the whole ketosis thing? I am almost 6 months post RNY and I have lost 60 lbs. I have searched on here for info on ketosis and found it helpful. I have never been sure if I have been in the state of ketosis so I went and bought strips to test it today. It showed no ketones at all, not even a trace. I try to keep my carbs and sugar low but maybe they're still too high? How many grams of carbs and sugar do you allow per day? My understanding is that my weight loss would be much faster if I was in a state of ketosis. Is this true? I've read that many people are on this kind of diet pre-op but what about post-op? Should I be trying to put myself into the state of ketosis or is it dangerous? Thanks in advance

peachpie
on 8/13/15 6:20 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Personally I don't aim for ketosis post op. I agree with my nut in saying the body needs some carbs. I try and limit my carbs to 50-60g per day, but have gone as high as 100. My loss had been consistent.

How much do you have to lose total? What's a typical days eating like? Exercise?

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 8:10 pm - Canada

I am hoping to lose 40 more pounds. I walk at least 5 days a week and also ride my bike. The walks are usually about 45 minutes long. A typical day eating for me would be a hard boiled egg for breakfast with a greek yogurt, lunch is usually 3 oz of lean protein (steak, tuna, chicken) plus an ounce of cheese, supper would be 3 oz of meat with a 1/4 cup of veggies and maybe a piece of cheese, for snacks I have another yogurt or 1/2 of a banana or maybe a few raspberries. I also drink 1 cup of 1% milk with 2 tbsp. of chocolate protein powder. Occasionally I have 10 almonds or a "Kind" nut bar. Any suggestions?

RNY0615
on 8/13/15 9:03 pm

My NUT's post op diet induces ketosis,  and they recommend that long term for me (all their patients). They say to stay under 50g of net carbs,  but preferably closer to 24. 

I typically eat about 20-30 per day, and the ketostix show me with the darkest purple on the chart (lots of ketones).  

I'm 6.5 weeks out and have lost 50, 26 of which have been just since surgery.  

Hope that helps! 

chulbert
on 8/14/15 5:12 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I follow my surgeon's dietary recommendation of "low-fat and low-sugar with adequate protein."  My diet is predominantly whole plant foods.  Plus cheese.  Oh god yes cheese.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/15 6:27 am

I never met a cheese I didn't like. I just bought a smoked gouda. I am having company this weekend. I wouldn't have it if it was just me in the house. 

Most Active
Recent Topics