Protein drinks

denisecarlton
on 8/13/15 2:59 pm - cleveland, OH

Is there anyone the is unable to tolerate protein drinks. I'm 4 years post op and my protein levels are always low. I am having a hard time finding a protein drink that doesnt make me sick.

White Dove
on 8/13/15 3:07 pm - Warren, OH

The only ones I actually liked are made by BSN.  Lean Dessert and Syntra-6

Open a canister of that and smell it.  It smells like cake mix.  It tastes better than anything else out there (at least to me).

If it smells nasty before it is mixed, it will taste nasty after it is mixed.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/15 3:12 pm

I developed some food allergies and I can't drink whey or soy.  I found other proteins drinks.. taht I can have if I need to. 

But even with no proteins shakes - as long as my meals are proteins + anything else - my protein numbers are even better than they ever been, But ALL my meals / snack are protein based

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lynnc99
on 8/13/15 4:21 pm

There's no "must do" about protein drinks. Are you able to eat other protein sources such as meat, fish, and eggs? 

If the drinks are something you are really searching out, I've heard of (but never tried) protein water - which I think is sort of like the vitamin water drinks. Some manufacturers offer samples for about $3 each, which could end up saving you a LOT in the long run. I find that while I like most chocolate flavor protein mixes....I have to switch off because I get tired of specific flavor profiles. 

supershopper
on 8/14/15 12:19 pm

My dietician recommended that if you can't have whey or soy you could do the casein type.

I have milk issue, but I've found I can drink the premier protein premade ones. you can get at walmart.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Kathyjs
on 8/15/15 12:52 pm

At 4 years you should be able to eat your protein. Down the road it's easy to forget protein first and then fruits and veggies. 

miss_moneypenny
on 8/17/15 5:21 am, edited 8/17/15 5:30 am

My sentiments exactly!  Except I'm only 1 month out.  I have had a TERRIBLE time with protein shakes/mixes/powders.  The ready made are just too too sweet, the unflavored just cause instant gag reflex, fruit "juice" versions have horrific aftertaste (Isopure).  I'm completely at a loss and KNOW I am not getting in even half of what I should be on a daily basis.  SMELL is very big for me also.  It wasn't as difficult pre-surgery as I would do the childish version and plug my nose and just gulp it down, which obviously is not an option any longer...I have never been a fan of the protein shake and have always had issues getting it down.  At any point will I be able to at least add some fruit to cover the taste if I cannot find one I can embrace on it's own?  I think the Lean Dessert has been discontinued, at least from what I can see, it's not available on line or for purchase here in CA...

pammiv
on 8/17/15 6:23 am, edited 8/17/15 6:23 am

I could not handle protein shakes after my surgery.  The only thing I found I like is Syntrax Nectars in Fuzzy Navel and Ice Tea.  If I mix them in a blender and serve over ice - I can't even tell it is a protein drink.  They have lots of flavors and offer a 15 packet tester box so you can find some you like.  If you need the link to that - let me know but you can probably google it.  Packets in certain flavors are also on Amazon.... 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

denisecarlton
on 8/17/15 1:41 pm - cleveland, OH

Thanks everyone. At 4 years out I am only still able to eat 1/2 cup of food comfortably. At my appointment 2 weeks ago my test shows my stomach has not stretched and only the size of a thumb. Ive tried to force and eat at least a cup to get my solid protein in only to throw it back up or be in pain. The surgeon suggested I try some protein drinks.

Most Active
Recent Topics