RNY or Sleeve

Catsi51
on 8/14/15 10:16 am

GERD!! I forgot to mention that! My surgeon told me that anyone with GERD is not a good candidate for the sleeve because it has a tendency to make it worse, and in some cases people who didn't have it before surgery end up with it, whereas with RNY that does not happen. I ended up with severe GERD from my lap band. The last few weeks I had it I was vomiting up straight stomach acid and crap that looked like coffee grounds.... and the taste was beyond awful. I was frightened to go to sleep at night because I would wake up with a mouth full of stomach acid so I barely slept for the two weeks prior to having the band removed. Once out tho the gerd cleared up and I haven't had any issues with it since. But just the memory of that and the possibility that I could end up with it again with a sleeve was another reason I am choosing RNY!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

judeloren
on 8/14/15 10:57 am

that is where i am right now! i never had issues  didn't even have heart burn with the band at all for years but about a month ago suddenly i had horrible gerd. i can't sleep i feel sick. its awful! the Dr's office just called and i am finally approved to have the band out!!! my dr thinks i will be ok with the sleeve because i really didn't have issues until now. but i am nervous!

Catsi51
on 8/14/15 5:00 am, edited 8/14/15 5:02 am

have you talked to him/her about the RNY and asked his/her opinion? It was my surgeon, PCP and Nutritionist that all spent time going over the pros and cons of both surgeries with me and steered me in the direction of RNY. I don't in any way mean that they forced their opinions on me - they left it entirely up to me, they just gave me their opinion from a medical standpoint, for ME. Everyone is different. I am 64 and have a very very difficult time losing weight. My metabolism is slow like molasses. I NEED the malabsorption from the RNY if I have any hope of losing! I've already been through one failed WLS, I don't want to go through two more! I would be broken hearted if I got a sleeve and it did not work and I had to have revision to RNY then. I need to do this for once and for all and be done with it. You just need to listen to your own heart and do what makes the most sense for you all the way around. Lots of people are very successful with the sleeve. I just know it would not be the best option for ME! Good luck and here's wishing you a successful surgery, easy recovery, and a successful journey to a slimmer, healthier you!!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

judeloren
on 8/17/15 5:15 am

no i really haven't talked to my dr..other than about the sleeve. I was 100% sure i wanted a sleeve when i saw her. After the weight loss seminar i started to wonder but the stats they posted there do not match online... they compared the sleeve to the same loss as the band.. online and my dr said it was more like the rny... so confusing if not actual facts. i worry i might need the malabsorption too but i did loose 80 lbs with the lap band so i think i could with the sleeve. i think the final decision for me is coming down to if i can take Advil and steroids or not. I am being tested for rheumatoid arthritis and i have migraines and sometimes ibprophen in higher doses is required.

i finally get my band out 8-31! i am ready to start fre****hank you!

Catsi51
on 8/18/15 10:14 am

I have a friend with rheumatoid arthritis and she had an RNY. I know she is on some kind of medication for her arthritis but not sure what it is. I currently take Dicoflenac for my arthritis but was told I will have to stop taking it after my surgery as you cannot take anti inflammatories after bypass. I'm sure there are other medications you can take for those issues after RNY, but yeah, I know you CAN take Advil and steroids with a sleeve.

Most Active
Recent Topics