Calorie Intake Progression?

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 10:13 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi again, lcraver-  

Not a bad friend, just misguided. As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm going to sit down and have a talk with her.  *nods* Regarding all the sugar, I don't seem to have experienced any dumping syndrome issues yet-  *knock on wood*  If I keep to the healthy, practical intake, though, I shouldn't. 

Carbs are my enemy, too, though since the surgery I have been successful in staying away from them, minus that freaking cookie.   I will keep an eye on them, though, as you aren't the only person who's noted carbs.  While I may not be eating straight up ones, I'm sure there are some that sneak in there. 

Thanks for the good luck wishes!  

All I can get,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Paula1965
on 8/13/15 11:04 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Hi LB,

Love your positive attitude!

I am averaging about 750 calories/day (4 1/2 months post-op) whi*****ludes an average of 75 grams of protein and 70 grams of carbs, my fats are almost always less than 30 grams per day. My surgeon prescribes a balanced diet of 2 servings of dairy (1 C), 3 servings of meat (1 oz. each), 2 servings of veggies (1/2 C each), 1 serving fruit (1/2 C) and 2 servings of grains (1/2 C cereal, 1/3 C rice or pasta, 4 crackers). He also wants us to continue protein shakes 2-3 times per day. He does not want to become "carnivores" post surgery! I had to laugh at that description! He does not want us to snack at all between meals except for having the shakes. I do sometimes have a snack - often a veggie but sometimes popcorn.

I don't often get the grains in - but will do 2 servings of fruit or may have a starchy veggie. I usually have 2 shakes per day and maybe one serving of dairy unless I have yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch.

I've had success with my plan. I am also exercising 60+ minutes 6 days per week - that helps!

Best of luck in your journey!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 11:14 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi Paula,

It sounds like you're doing really well and keeping a very balanced diet!  You are also getting great exercise, which is wonderful-  I'm slowly working up to that, day by day.  *nods*

Thank you for the good wishes, and sending some right back to you!

Energy,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Michele816
on 8/13/15 1:35 pm

I started at about 300 during liquids immediately post op.  Once I entered pureed, soft and then solid foods I took in between 500 and 600 for several months. 6 months out I increased to 700.  9 months out I increased to 800.  At a year out I was taking in between 800 and 1,000 calories and stayed in that range until 18 months out.  Between 18 months and 2 years I ate around 1,000.  I always kept my protein over 100 grams and my carbs under 100 grams (It wasn't until more than a year that I had more than 50 grams of carbs a day). In that time, I never stalled, plateaued or gained.  My weight loss was steady and I lost 226 pounds in 18 months and then maintained that for 6 months.  Between years 2 and 3 it got dicey and I had an 18 pound regain trying to figure out maintenance. What I discovered was that my RMR (resting metabolic rate) was approximately 1300 and that I should not consume more than that each day-no eating extra calories because of exercise-one of the major reasons I had a regain (grazing and food addiction issues being the others).  Since then (I am 5 years out) I have maintained my weight, plus or minus 5 pounds until this summer (I am trying to lose the regain; 7 pounds lost so far).

I hope that helps.

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 2:27 pm
RNY on 07/27/15

Michele816-  Thank you for such a detailed response! *hugs*  Sounds like you've made a healthy, steady progress.  I'm glad to see the slow increase of calories over time, as that makes sense.

Wishing you continued success in losing the remainder of the regain! 

You've got this,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

sara S.
on 8/17/15 6:12 pm - kingsville, Canada

Hi there! 6 years out here and messing around losing and gaining the same 5 lbs!! Lol. How did you figure out your resting MR?  I think this would help me big time!! Thanks :)

My Angel is..........Laurie R!!!

Michele816
on 8/18/15 3:06 am

Google RMR  or resting metabolic rate and you get a variety of links to sites that have RMR calculators.

The Salty Hag
on 8/13/15 2:28 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Okay, I'm just way too curious for my own good. What did you eat that pushed your calories up to 1,040? I couldn't have done that at two-three weeks post op if I'd tried. 

At at two weeks out, I was still on full liquids, so I didn't worry about calories at all; just hydration and protein levels. 

As my diet progressed, I started tracking my food, but only really payed attention to protein, carb, and sugars. After I hit goal, and got too ****y, I went back to tracking and paying way more attention to my caloric intake ( which can creep up gradually if you stop measuring/weighing your food ) in addition to what I'd tracked before. My malabsorption is gone now, so I have to be really mindful about what I eat or drink. If I want to go off-plan, have a drink, or a treat, I make sure I plan for it and adjust my calories accordingly. 

Controlling portions is also really important. If someone doesn't measure out/ weigh food, they stand a good chance of just eating too much food per meal. ( I realize there are many different types of plans out there, but at so early out...we just can't rely on our pouches to tell us when to stop. ) When I got to solids at 6 weeks out, I was eating 1/4 cup of protein and 1/4 cup of veggies per meal...and 1/4 cup of food for snacks. There were times 1/2 cup of food was too much for me. Now, at 2 years out, I eat anywhere from 3/4 cup to a cup of food, with 1/2 cup of that being my protein. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 8:20 am, edited 8/13/15 8:21 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi Audrey, DSC-  

To answer your question, my intake for that dreaded day was:

0 cal tea

3 protein shakes with almond milk - 420 cals

a half avocado w/ banana mixed in blender - 400 cals (though thinking about it, I may have overestimated the calories on this.)  Having both avocado and a banana was too much, calorie wise, though both are healthy.

1 cup of tomato soup - 220 cals, slowly sipped over the evening

So, yup-  That's where that came from!  *sigh*

You are spot on about controlling portions- I've purchased glass containers that hold 2 oz and 4 oz of food that I can measure out and bring with me to work/use at home once I graduate to solid foods.  *nods*  I also have a food scale that I'm excited to start using for the same reason.

Hope your evening is off to a good start!

Sunset,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Roma
on 8/14/15 8:01 am
RNY on 06/15/15

I just came here to deliver my congrats to Lady Baltimore for taking some major criticism with grace. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active
Recent Topics