Calorie Intake Progression?

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 7:13 am
RNY on 07/27/15

uscgraawl-  It's so interesting to see how different all of our intakes are!  I know my doc and nutritionist had me on 70 grams of protein daily as soon as I was released from the hospital (in the form of liquid shakes.)  You calorie intake sounds similar to what others have posted, mainly in the latter part-

Congrats on the surgery!  :-)

Go you,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Felicity Q.
on 8/12/15 2:58 pm, edited 8/12/15 2:59 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Not sure if you'll find this helpful, but my surgeon's instructions specifically say "Don't count calories". Instead, there is a protein goal. When back to normal foods, this number is 80g of protein per day.  Of course, we're instructed to stay away from the carbs, eat protein first, followed by green veggies if there's room.  I found this helpful when planning my diet/meals NOW as a pre-revision person, and with my 100g Protein each day, I am averaging 775 calories and 107g protein. (Don't tell the surgeon I am counting the calories! lol)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 7:16 am
RNY on 07/27/15

FelicityQ-  That does help-  Thank you!  

I like that you're getting so much protein.  My nutritionist stressed protein first, as well.  And I think we all tend to count calories, hence my post!  ;-)

Numbers,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

ladygodiva1228
on 8/13/15 5:44 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, LadyBaltimore wrote:

I know that there is a thread similar to this, but my question is more detailed.  I had my surgery on July 27th, and since then, my intake has ranged from 270 to 1,040, with an average of 648 per day.  My nutritionist never gave me a number to aim for.

I had a scary experience last night when a friend pushed a meatball and a sugar cookie on me. I did give in (bad idea), and aside from feeling uber guilty, I really started questioning what my caloric intake should be, seeing as I have over 200 pounds to lose.

So, with that said, I wanted to know how ya'll progressed with your calorie intake from the beginning to maintenance.  This is the only place I can go where others have had this surgery, so I consider OH my oracle!  

For me, I'm getting all my vitamins, water, and protein in every day, exercise very little (slowly working on that though), so am thinking of keeping my intake around 700 for the first few months and ultimately always under 1000 once I've lost most of my weight.  

Do others have any input, advice, and most importantly, can others list how what their caloric intake was in the beginning and how it evolved?

Many, many thanks in advance!  *hugs to all*

655 today,

-LB

So your a little over 2 weeks out from surgery and letting friends push food on you and of all things a sugar cookie?  You might want to re-evaluate your friends. 

The first month for me my calories were 200-350, then they have slowly went up, but at 6 months out I am eating between 700-900 staying on the lower side to optimize my weight loss for the first year.

You say you have over 200lbs to lose, but your profile says you have a bmi of 38.9 and your ticker has you at just a little over 200.  Was the 200lbs to lose a miss print?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

peachpie
on 8/13/15 6:25 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15
On August 13, 2015 at 5:44 AM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:
On August 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, LadyBaltimore wrote:

I know that there is a thread similar to this, but my question is more detailed.  I had my surgery on July 27th, and since then, my intake has ranged from 270 to 1,040, with an average of 648 per day.  My nutritionist never gave me a number to aim for.

I had a scary experience last night when a friend pushed a meatball and a sugar cookie on me. I did give in (bad idea), and aside from feeling uber guilty, I really started questioning what my caloric intake should be, seeing as I have over 200 pounds to lose.

So, with that said, I wanted to know how ya'll progressed with your calorie intake from the beginning to maintenance.  This is the only place I can go where others have had this surgery, so I consider OH my oracle!  

For me, I'm getting all my vitamins, water, and protein in every day, exercise very little (slowly working on that though), so am thinking of keeping my intake around 700 for the first few months and ultimately always under 1000 once I've lost most of my weight.  

Do others have any input, advice, and most importantly, can others list how what their caloric intake was in the beginning and how it evolved?

Many, many thanks in advance!  *hugs to all*

655 today,

-LB

So your a little over 2 weeks out from surgery and letting friends push food on you and of all things a sugar cookie?  You might want to re-evaluate your friends. 

The first month for me my calories were 200-350, then they have slowly went up, but at 6 months out I am eating between 700-900 staying on the lower side to optimize my weight loss for the first year.

You say you have over 200lbs to lose, but your profile says you have a bmi of 38.9 and your ticker has you at just a little over 200.  Was the 200lbs to lose a miss print?

Ohhh..I totally missed how far out she was from surgery. I stuck to each phase as required post-op...no deviations. But I never monitored calories in those initial post op phases either. Only focused on grams of protein. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 7:23 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi LadyGodiva1228-  No, my signature is not a misprint.  Rather than list my actual weight, I'm only listing the amount I need to lose. (Seeing my actual weight in print sends me into a tailspin of bad emotions.) If you look at the far right end of the ticker, it reads 0 lbs. 

I think your evaluation of my friend is pretty harsh, if you don't mind my saying so. I've been close friends with her for ten years now. She's admitted that she's worried my personality will change now that I no longer smoke, drink, or "eat."  Trying to maintain the status quo is a perfectly normal response.  That said, it is my fault, not hers, for giving in to the cookie.

I like that your intake has remained low to optimize your weight loss for the first year- Go you!  *high five*

Progress,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

aesposito
on 8/13/15 7:23 am, edited 8/13/15 7:23 am

I am sorry, but I agree with Lady Godiva's evaluation of your friend.  A friend who shoves a cookie at someone who needs to lose more than 200 pounds, and who shoves that same cookie at someone who just underwent a life-changing, life-threatening surgery that cost in the mid 5-figures, is not a friend I would want to associate with. 

If maintaining the status quo is a normal response from friends, than my friends must not be normal because NONE of them did that to me post surgery... and if they had, my other friends would have taken them behind the woodshed.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

peachpie
on 8/13/15 6:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm another who was not really given a calorie 'mandate'. My handbook emphasizes protein first, veggies second, carbs 3rd. It estimated about how many calories you would be taking in at each stage with the other dietary restrictions. I'm on a regular diet now and the book suggest 1200 calories. In reality I get it about 900/day. (~4 months post op)

No minimum/maximum were given for gram of carbs either. Of course they encourage to avoid bread, pasta, rice and starchy veggies (peas, corn) etc. But in their sample menu's they do include some bread and cereal etc. Not a lot-- but they don't bani**** totally from your diet. My carbs generally are around 50g-60g on a good day-- I try not to go over 100g.  

Honestly I'm not sure what the issue is with a meatball-- its protein and I relied on turkey meatballs during my pureed phase. I've eaten *a* cookie. A HUGE difference from eating an entire row of cookies from the pack, like I'd do before surgery.... But they were my choices-- not 'friends' trying to coax me into anything.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

LadyBaltimore
on 8/13/15 7:29 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi peachpie (love the name, btw!) 

I haven't been keeping track of my carbs, so I'm glad you posted about that as a reminder.  At this juncture, I generally don't eat any, but it will be important for the future.  Your calorie intake sounds like it suits where you are perfectly- and it is also similar where I see mine going.

You're spot on about the meatball. The only problem with it was that I am not yet on the solid food part, so it was jumping ahead on my schedule.  The cookie, well-  That was bad.  You're right, though.  Having the one cookie (which was the size of a silver dollar, as they were mini) is much better than the way I used to go through an entire container of ice cream.  

Hope you're having a lovely day!

Thursday joy,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Gwen M.
on 8/13/15 7:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're this susceptible to peer pressure (and have chosen friends that try to bully you), you should probably consider adding a therapist to your Obesity Recovery Team.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics