Anyone have a doctor who doesn't like protein shakes?

kaniky
on 8/17/15 9:44 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I had my three month post-op appointment with my surgeon last Thursday.  I'm a revision from a lap band to gastric bypass.  We discussed what I was eating, calories, proteins, etc.  We talked about the fact that for some unknown reason revisions seem to lose weight more slowly than newbies.  He said I can still reach goal, it may just take me longer.  

When we were discussing what I was eating I told him I was having a protein shake for breakfast every morning.  He told me he thought that was part of the reason I haven't lost much weight this past month.  He said the shake goes right through me and there's nothing to get my metabolism started until after eat dense protein for lunch.  I told him that I really rely on those protein shakes to get my 60-80 grams of protein in a day.  He told me that he would rather I focus on protein dense foods - not the shakes - for my meals and that he's not as concerned about the grams of protein I'm getting in each day.  

Anyone else have a doctor like this?  What can I do to increase those 30 proteins I'm not getting now because I'm not drinking a shake?

Thanks!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

peachpie
on 8/17/15 10:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Though my NUT is ok with one shake a day I don't really use shakes any more. 

My breakfasts usually include: egg (or egg beaters).. (boiled/scrambled/fried/omelette with sausage/bacon or ham & cheese. That typically nets me about 17g protein.  This morning I had oatmeal-- you get sick of eggs-- that only yields the protein in the milk--8g. I would try and pair it with a turkey sausage, but I can barely finish the oatmeal. I could toss protein powder in the oatmeal-- but again I'm sort of anti powders at this stage. Sometimes I'l eat cheerios (1 cup) with boiled egg whites.

I like breakfast foods for breakfast-- but some don't mind eating 'lunch/dinner' foods in the AM. That wold offer you more variety.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

kaniky
on 8/17/15 12:26 pm
RNY on 05/18/15
On August 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM Pacific Time, peachpie wrote:

Though my NUT is ok with one shake a day I don't really use shakes any more. 

My breakfasts usually include: egg (or egg beaters).. (boiled/scrambled/fried/omelette with sausage/bacon or ham & cheese. That typically nets me about 17g protein.  This morning I had oatmeal-- you get sick of eggs-- that only yields the protein in the milk--8g. I would try and pair it with a turkey sausage, but I can barely finish the oatmeal. I could toss protein powder in the oatmeal-- but again I'm sort of anti powders at this stage. Sometimes I'l eat cheerios (1 cup) with boiled egg whites.

I like breakfast foods for breakfast-- but some don't mind eating 'lunch/dinner' foods in the AM. That wold offer you more variety.

Do you mind me asking - about how many calories are you eating a day?  It's such a fine balancing act trying to make it all shake out the right way!

peachpie
on 8/17/15 12:34 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm eating about 900 calories a day. My plan says at this stage we can aim for as much as 1200, but  I tend to hover around 800-1000. My rate of loss is actually less than yours: Pre-Op: -20; Month 1: -13; Month 2: -12.8; Month 3: -9.2; but its been slow from the start for me. (I always wondered about those lucky folks who lost 20-30#'s in the first month!!)

My doc is not concerned, so I'm not. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/15 10:37 am - OH

Calories and protein are calories and protein. It does not matter to your body whether they are solid or liquid. Despite what your (unfortunately misinformed) surgeon said, your body recognizes that it has been fed when you have a protein shake.

My surgeon preferred that we get our protein from food rather than shakes because it is a more "normal" way of eating, but if people liked the shakes and we're getting in their protein, she didn't give anyone any grief.  If you are getting half of your daily protein from one shake, though, I can see why your surgeon might prefer that you eat more protein.

Unfortunately, since your surgeon is clearly not giving you good information oh now your body processes protein shakes, you will ahev to decide whether to try to eat more protein throughout the day without the shake or whether to ignore him and drink the shakes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/15 10:39 am

Unless you getting some sugar or lots of calories in your shake and eating breakfast and have a shake- I don't think he is right... shake doesn't just go right through you.  You may be hungry earlier... but food is food - liquid or solid. 

I couldn't and still can't eat food early morning.. and the idea that we need breakfast for weight loss is an old news.  I know I don't...

I was able to eat so little in the past that I had a shake for breakfast.  and that what they told me I need to do.. 

at 3 months post op - getting enough proteins is critical IMO. min 60gr. but what source - it is up to you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

robinreinhardt
on 8/17/15 10:47 am

I'm still drinking 2 to 3 a day with only 1/2 cup of fat free milk. It's because I am a picky eater. My surgeon says that is great and I'm still loosing weight. Only 8 months out. Good luck oh and also she said don't drink water for 15 minutes after shake. Also all my bloodwork came out just fine.

Robin

Jenn77p
on 8/17/15 11:45 am
RNY on 08/07/15

My surgeon did recommend that after week 2 NOT to drink protein shakes. He prefers more dense protein to make u full and keep u satisfied longer. He would like to avoid all liquid calories. However I'm always rushing in the morning preparing for three children and a ready to go protein shake would be very convenient for me so I will be having that talk with him soon. I'd rather a protein shake, than skipping. I would have to say try what your surgeon suggests and see if it makes a difference?  

Jenn 77 p

kaniky
on 8/17/15 12:25 pm
RNY on 05/18/15
On August 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM Pacific Time, Jenn77p wrote:

My surgeon did recommend that after week 2 NOT to drink protein shakes. He prefers more dense protein to make u full and keep u satisfied longer. He would like to avoid all liquid calories. However I'm always rushing in the morning preparing for three children and a ready to go protein shake would be very convenient for me so I will be having that talk with him soon. I'd rather a protein shake, than skipping. I would have to say try what your surgeon suggests and see if it makes a difference?  

That's exactly what I'm doing.  My weight loss has slowed down and I'm hoping the advise from my surgeon about having dense protein in the morning will get things kick started again.  :)

jazzycatz
on 8/17/15 12:57 pm - Joppa, MD

I have a surgeon that wants you to discontinue shakes after your 3rd month. I don't think he would really make a fuss if you were at 1 a day, however. I understand they want you to be able to eat in a more "normal" fashion.  I have heard that some that don't care for shakes so much just add powdered milk to milk so it ups the protein quite a bit.

But you asked about food...For a food to be considered a "protein source" for me it needs to have 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories. So if something has 150 calories I want it to have 10grams of protein. I don't do this for everything I eat, of course, just items that I am looking  at as protein sources for my daily total.

Cottage cheese is a great bang for your buck protein wise. The 1% version has 90 calories per 1/2 cup and 13g of protein. Plus it's easy to eat early out.

Do you eat greek yogurt? Now that I am so far out I stick to the 100 calorie versions mostly and they have around 12g of protein per serving. Also if you get the plain you can mix in stuff to make it sweet or savory depending on your mood. Use the plain as a substitute for half of your mayo in anything you make. Also use it as a sour cream sub.

Your soft cheeses can help. Like the Laughing Cow cheeses. Just don't use crackers to spread it on. Please. Yes I am begging.

Hopefully you are not lactose intolerent or I just wasted your time.

Most Active
Recent Topics