No BM since surgery

AnneL
on 8/10/15 8:06 pm

Sorry you are not feeling well. I have been having trouble too, since surgery 7/31. MD suggested smooth move tea. Pretty gentle and it worked. Now a few days later and I plan again for tea tonight. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/15 4:17 am

That is a laxative. I would not do that too often. Miralax is IMO better joice..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/15 4:20 am

Ugh.. At the point ...you may need vasoline. And gloves... .. 

Pain pills always makes me stop going... Now if I take any - I use more Miralax. 

For some of us - doc recommends using Miralx daily. 

I use Miralax in my morning coffee, and magnesium at night... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

E_Saenz
on 8/11/15 11:39 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Milk of magnesia asap

Elia Maria Saenz

MickeyDee
on 8/10/15 11:48 pm

I found an OTC stool softener was effective, but if I needed more action, I used Miralax.  In a REAL situation, M of Mag is very good.

I may use Miralax periodically even now for relief, but more often a cup of strong coffee is effective.

Deanna798
on 8/11/15 8:35 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Finally, poop success!!!!! Thank God!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

uscgraawl
on 8/11/15 8:56 am
RNY on 07/31/15

Glad you were able to go. I have only had one since I had surgery and that was at day 6 and it was meager. I haven't had once since and I am not in any pain so not entirely worried about it since I haven't been eating much of anything. It is now day 11. 

HW: 273 GW: 130 RNY - July 31, 2015 M1: 28 LBS M2: 11 LBS

ladygodiva1228
on 8/11/15 11:09 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would make a call to your surgeon.  Going 5 days at a time with no BM even with minimal food should not be taken lightly.  If you had a "meager" BM at day 6 and then nothing since I personally would be worried.  Don't wait until you are being rushed to the ER to finally question things.

uscgraawl
on 8/11/15 11:30 am
RNY on 07/31/15

Thanks for your concern. I am following the information that they (my doctor's office) gave us after surgery. They said it is completely normal to only have 1-2 bowel movements per week and that my first BM after surgery is likely to be very little since I have been on nothing but liquids for two weeks. I do not have any stomach pains nor am I straining when I do go to the bathroom because I need to go. I have been drinking lots of water and walking everyday. I am only 11 days post op so I am not overly concerned at this point as my body is still adjusting. :) 

HW: 273 GW: 130 RNY - July 31, 2015 M1: 28 LBS M2: 11 LBS

E_Saenz
on 8/11/15 11:36 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

try miralax or milk of magnesia I use milk of magnesia. Take 2 tbsp and you will go within a very short time but i would call doctor first pain meds give you constipation I'm sure M.O.M

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active
Recent Topics