Dialysis

lessofkelly_
on 8/8/15 9:25 pm

My husband and I both went to our Dr's at the same time asking for a referral to have gastric bypass my Dr said yes and his said not until u quit smoking for 6 months so my husband quit smoking went back to his Dr and he sent the referral. I'm now almost 2 years post op and my husband has his first appointment next week he had his orientation a year ago what a long wait but since then my husband has become very sick he is now on dialysis in may he was in the hospital and they took off 140lbs of fluid in 3 weeks so my question is will they still do the bypass surgery he's 360lbs and needs a kidney transplant but needs to loose weight before that time comes.

Laura in Texas
on 8/9/15 8:51 am

SeattleDeb had RNY so that she could have a kidney transplant. I hope she sees your post. Best wishes for your husband.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/9/15 9:33 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Check with your ins. A co worker of mine is also on dialysis & he's on track to get wls also. He's doing the Dr supervised diet for a few months as required by his insurance. Once that's done he'll get scheduled for surgery. I'm not sure how much he weighs, but it's definitely over 300lbs.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seattledeb
on 8/11/15 12:00 am

I had ESRD but was not yet on dialysis. I wanted to get on the transplant list. I weighed 378 the day of RnY surgery and got placed on the transplant list when my weight got to 260. I had RnY to get a kidney. It got me a lot more. When that phone rang I weighed 200 pounds. I was in the best shape of my life.It made my recovery much easier.

There are some tricky bits about having ESRD and being post Rny. I ate less protein and had to modify some vitamins. My nephrologist was so scared when I said I wanted to have surgery. She put me off for a while. She thought it would kill me. Instead it saved my life.

Deb T.

I got a kidney 1/17/12. MLK day

Most Active
Recent Topics