Pouch capacity first week post op?

Deanna798
on 8/8/15 5:34 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So,  as most of you know i had rny on Tuesday.  So this morning i got to progress my diet to stage two.  So i made 5 oz of fairlife ff milk with 1 tbs of cream of wheat and about a teaspoon of greek yogurt mixed in for flavor.  

I ate it all.  My tummy is slightly uncomfortable,  but i don't feel like i stretched my pouch.  My husband thinks i over did it and should have eaten about 2 ounces total. 

What kind of volume should i expect this early on?  I don't want to inadvertently get into the habit of overeating in the first week because i have no idea what to expect.  It was 100 calories. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

radze09
on 8/8/15 5:44 am
RNY on 06/08/15

My plan had us doing 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal. Liquid was 1/2 a cup and thicker was 1/4 a cup. So cream of wheat very liquidy was about 3 ozs total. Everyone's plan is different. Your doctor or NUT should have given you guidelines as the diet progressed. Good luck!! ☺

Deanna798
on 8/7/15 10:50 pm, edited 8/7/15 10:50 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

They gave me guideline of what to eat,  but not how much in ounces, just what to do in calories.  

But if that's the case then i over did it by a couple of ounces.  I'll make sure to cook,  then measure from now on. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

radze09
on 8/8/15 8:27 am
RNY on 06/08/15

I would measure then cook! You make want to also limit your carbs. The plans tell us what we can technically eat but not what we should be eating. If that makes sense. My plan has potatoes on it, but I wouldnt eat them! I think calories play a part as do carbs and sizing. Stick to no more then 4 oz of liquidy food at a time till you move to your next stage and then as the denser protein comes in, decrease the liquid and replace it with protein. Such as you eat veggie soup with 3 oz of soup and 1 oz soft meat. Next stage you do 2 oz of soft meat with 2 oz of veggies soup. I hope I was able to explain that ok. You will have to find what works for you and hopefully this may help a bit till you are able to better feel your pouch. Good luck!! It gets easier!!

Cristinahdz
on 8/8/15 10:08 am

First week I had to eat for breakfast and dinner one cup of water with protein and make a shake I never finished them. I ate half the morning shake in the morning and the other half at night.  And for lunch 1/2 a cup of vegetable broth.  That's all I could handle.

Deanna798
on 8/8/15 1:38 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I had two ounces of Greek yogurt for lunch,  and I think I'm having a slight intolerance.  Good thing is I'm passing gas like I've been wanting to since Tuesday,  lol. I'm a dairy lover so I'm going to have to pick up some lactaid. 

E_Saenz
on 8/8/15 3:54 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Deanna looks like your progressing well I'm glad.

Elia Maria Saenz

Deanna798
on 8/8/15 4:02 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

You're going soon!  You are going to do awesome! Excited that your day is coming.  

E_Saenz
on 8/8/15 4:20 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Yes Wednesday 4 more days I can't believe it's finally going to happen then I need to get a job because I've been off work too long i need to be working and making money i support myself usually but my unemployment ran out and I have to get a job the only reason i didn't get one yet was because I was getting my surgery and out of respect for a perspective employer i couldn't see asking for time off right off the rip so soon as I'm able I'm looking.  Any Ideas?

Elia Maria Saenz

Felicity Q.
on 8/8/15 4:36 pm
DS on 09/28/15

As you know I haven't had my RNY yet, but 5-6oz of liquids in the pouch would have been too much for me right after my previous surgery. Perhaps (I think others posted below) try to limit to 1/4-1/2c at a time (2-4oz) and stop and see how it goes - if you feel like you want to/could do more, do some more - otherwise save the rest for later?

I believe I recall my surgeon recommending no more than 1/4c (2oz) to 1/2c (4oz) at a time during the recovery stages.  Congrats on your progress!!!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Most Active
Recent Topics