Everything is too sweet, any suggestions?

Deanna798
on 8/7/15 6:40 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm 3 days post op and nothing tastes good.  Pre surgery I loved Premier Protein Vanilla, now it has a funky smell to it.  I think that the surgery has enhanced my already super human sense of smell.  My son was eating a tuna sandwich yesterday and the smell almost made me puke.

That being said, I have not thrown up once since surgery and I don't have much nausea, so that is a good thing.  I am trying to get all of the vitamins down, but that seems like a monumental task, and I'm supposed to try to get in 700 calories if I can, but I have no idea how I'm going to do that.  Luckily water is going down really easily, so I am not afraid of being dehydrated.

I think the real problem is that everything is so sweet.  I can't stand the thought of broth, but the sweetness of the protein drinks is making me feel icky.  I get to advance my diet tomorrow to "level 2" and have some yogurt and watery solids, so I plan on finding something not sweet.  Any suggestions on something more savory?  All the sweetness is making me want to gag.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

The Salty Hag
on 8/7/15 7:18 am
RNY on 05/20/13

For a more savory protein powder, Unjury chicken soup flavor is good, so I've heard. I never tried it. You can also try added unflavored protein powder to soups, broths, yogurt...it still tastes sort of "whey-y" though. 

The sense of smell thing is normal. Try drinking your protein drinks in a travel mug...that will help block the small. Whey Protein is stinky stuff!! 

I just discovered something called Kefir. It's tangy...like buttermilk or Greek yogurt. Maybe add a little of that to your protein drinks to take the edge off the sweetness? I did that recently, added too much and everything tastes weird, but I added a smaller amount the next time and it was fine. I bought Plain Kefir. Coffe ( decaf or regular if you're allowed ) can also reduce the sweetness of protein drinks. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Emiepie
on 8/7/15 7:19 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! Glad to know that you are not having an issue getting your water in-that's awesome and really important. I can totally relate to the senses being on high alert. I call it "prego" nose as it was very similar to me and thank goodness it didn't last too long. I can't really speak to getting to 700 cals as my plan doesn't require a certain caloric range so that early out the focus was on getting fluids in. I remember finding some "blended" black bean style soup that I ate during the level 2 and sweetness didn't bother me too much so I made a smoothie here and there and yogurt was a staple for me. Once I was able to add refried beans and mashed sweet potatoes (I had an issue when I tried regular mashed potatoes so my NUT suggested the sweet potato and they were great) and cottage cheese I was set for a bit.  Best of luck and remember to walk, sip, rest and repeat :) Hope you have a great day.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

robinreinhardt
on 8/7/15 11:12 am

Emiepie,

Good advice. So proud of you for doing so well after your RNY.

Robin

Emiepie
on 8/7/15 12:01 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Awww, thanks!!!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

auntmimi
on 8/7/15 7:35 am

I had issues with everything being too sweet. Heck, I still find things too sweet. I notice that since surgery smells bother me much more than ever! 2 blocks from my house is a Pizza Hut, Sonic, Dairy Queen and a Fried Chicken joint. There are times when I go outside that all I can smell is grease and it makes me sick to my stomach!! To think at one time those smells were enticing to me! GAG! 

I found that adding my protein powder to plain greek yogurt worked for me. I did "water" down my yogurt a little so that it wasnt so thick. Good luck! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 7:42 am

check out this website. She has a ton of stuff.

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com 

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 7:43 am

check out this website. She has a ton of stuff.

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com 

iloveravens
on 8/7/15 9:05 am
RNY on 08/13/14

There is no way I could have eaten (drank) 700 calories at 3 days post op.  I was eating approx. 300 calories for at least the first month.  That number seems really high, though I know all plans differ.  Protein and liquids were my priority.  Good luck, it gets easier.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

E_Saenz
on 8/7/15 10:33 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Try herbal teas some with chamomile and mint or something that is soothing to the taste like a soup I've been told ther is a broth called better than bullion at sams clubclubclub.  Or sf lemon lime jello.

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active
Recent Topics