5 years out eating less

schober1
on 8/11/15 8:25 pm, edited 8/11/15 8:27 pm - NJ
RNY on 02/02/10 with

I'm 5 yrs post op and have maintained my 125kb weight loss. Of course like normal people I bounce around 3-5 lbs here and there but never go above that. I have been complication free since surgery until last summer....I started getting painful stomache cages after eating...dr took out gall bladder and said pouch and everything looked good. But still as time has gone on I find I can only eat so much now. I eat half as much now 5 yrs later than I could 6-18 months after surgery. Why is that? Not that it's a bad thing, but it's hard to tell now exactly how much will put me over edge and cause discomfort, so it's hard to regulate. And sugar...never had dumping syndrome or reaction, but now too much sugar and carbs will knock me on my butt for about an hour.  I always read and thought it was opposite with people this far out from surgery. I eat less and tolerate less now than I did 2 yes ago. What gives?

My RNY let me be me again.   
Proud wife of a CWO in the US Coast Guard!
White Dove
on 8/12/15 3:39 am - Warren, OH

I eat much less than I did at 18 months out.  Every year it takes less food for me to feel satisfied and for me to maintain my weight loss.

I did not experience dumping until about five years out.  That was the first time I let my guard down and ate too much sugar.

For me I attribute needing less food to being older and having a slower metabolism.  I tend to keep my meals to about 300 calories.  When I indulge in a restaurant meal I get very uncomfortable very quickly.  I tend to stick to the protein and have a few nibbles of everything else.

It is not a bad thing, I don't feel the need to explain my surgery to strangers, so just say that I am not very hungry and box up the leftovers for other meals.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MyLady Heidi
on 8/17/15 2:04 am

I am ten years out and eat very small amounts now vs years ago.  Last year I had a blocked bile duct almost fifteen years after gallbladder surgery that caused me extreme pain and had to be surgically cleaned.  Just a thought.  Blood tests and hida scans rule this out.

Most Active
Recent Topics