Alcohol

JulesWinfield
on 8/9/15 12:44 pm

I grew up with alcoholism. I saw my dad try and kill my mom and himself. I know the dangers of alcohol and drugs. I am not looking to transfer addictions nor am I itching to go buy a sixer to get lit. I was just asking a simple question about experiences. Lesson learned

mommomx2
on 8/9/15 7:03 pm

I just had my first glass of wine on Friday night at a wedding. I will be 3years in November. It hit me fast and I had added ice to it. Did not fini**** because I had a buzz for about 20 minutes and it felt as if I had drank the whole bottle of wine. I was never a big drinker - had a father who was a alcoholic so I am not planning to drink any time soon.

Kathyjs
on 8/9/15 7:38 pm

I saw the question , 'why would someone take up drinking? ' Because I for one am a food addict. I used food for comfort blah blah blah. Many find a replacement 

JA
on 8/10/15 5:59 am - East Haven, CT

Presurgery, I was never a big drinker and still am not.  However, let me warn everyone...more than one drink and you literally get sick and cannot remember a thing that happened.  I had NEVER been "drunk" so to speak in my life and two times since surgery,  after two drinks it happened to me, so no more for me TYVM.

JA

aesposito
on 8/10/15 7:21 am

You asked... I'll answer.  I drink wine once or twice a week with a meal.  I never drink alone and I never drink on an empty stomach, because one glass gets me wayyyy buzzed (2 if it's white, but I prefer reds).

The buzz lasts a shorter period of time post RNY, so don't fall into the trap of drinking more and more to keep the buzz on.  I pour what I am going to drink, put away the rest, and I am done when I am done.

I stay away from booze, except once my boyfriend and I decided to have a flavored vodka tasting party.  You can imagine how much I was drooling on myself when that was done (but damn it was fun... and we decided the lemon was the best).

So, no judgements, no scare-tactics here.  Just if you are going to drink, drink responsibly, don't drive, and make sure it doesn't cross over into a transfer addiction.  My mother is a recovering alcoholic, fyi, so I share your concerns.  I just don't let them run my life.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

LadyBaltimore
on 8/10/15 6:40 pm
RNY on 07/27/15

Though I didn't post the question, I wanted to say thank you for your response, e.g. no scare tactics, etc.  I come from a family of alcoholics, and before surgery, I definitely drank on a daily basis.  

Since surgery, I haven't craved alcohol. My hope is to stay sober through therapy and also taking naltrexone, a drug used to curb alcohol cravings.

That said, having a glass of wine with a friend now and again is something I'd still like to be able to do, and it sounds like as long as I'm in a safe environment and very much limit the amount, it will be okay.

Of course, my surgery was two weeks ago today, so it will be months before I even think of looking at a bottle LOL

High and dry,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Most Active
Recent Topics